Air Pet beasty!

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Tlobad

Air Pet beasty!

Post by Tlobad »

91 Air pet is a beast! Currently using EM11. I bot Sk/Mage/Nec/Bard. I do not remember pets being this badass back when I quit my Mage in POR. At some point got some free marketplace coins and transfered my dusty mage off. (at one point switched to a Raiding Sk when I retired the Mage). When VOA went live I flew thru the levels maxing out my Bstlord to 95. One day decieded to dust off the mage again. WOW the pet actually out tanks my Sk in tier 4 trash LOL. Sk is 79k hp (89k with cleric stuff/aura)

Friend was making fun of me for having the pet out tank my Sk. (note Sk is no longer my raiding main) I changed to Necro to raid back in UF. I think I feel back in love with my Mage!
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: Air Pet beasty!

Post by Tweelis »

The air pet is great at tanking IF: it can land stun (that's sorta like a 25% slow on top of your bard slow), you have all your pet aa's and you have a good focus, your pet is only tanking one mob (it'll get creamed if you pull 2 mobs in current content). Now if you pull 2 mobs your sk will outpace your air pet in tanking; for pure soloing though a decently geared sk with the right aa's will be a swarming god that can rack up xp/aaxp like no other class.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Glad to hear the 91 pet is good. I'm planning to ding 91 today, if my wife gives me some free time. ;-)
nako
Conjurer

Post by nako »

Tlobad wrote: WOW the pet actually out tanks my Sk in tier 4 trash LOL. Sk is 79k hp (89k with cleric stuff/aura)
Sorry, I find this very, very hard to believe. Either your SK has crap AA, crap augs, odd gear choices, likes to tank with his/her back turned while spamming the sit key, or some silly combination of all.
Last edited by nako on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tlobad

Post by Tlobad »

Mage pet is 91 air EM11.

Sk is about 89k hp buffed with cleric aura. Sk has 8k AC with his tap. Sk has 9.5k aa (about 2k aa glyphed)It was odd in Sepular West went Sk died merc seemed to keep up best easier. When my friend brought his cleric it WAS easier to heal the SK tho.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Given that our air pet will not stun anything level 96 or higher it's really hard to believe what you're saying Tlobad. The only reason the air pet tanks as well as it does is because of it's stun, aside from that it's mitigation and avoidance is crap. The beastiary for Sepular West is pretty brutal, even for trash mobs. http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?zone=816

There's 17 mobs in SW that can be level 95 and lower, 17 more named (quest and loot dropping named) and 46 trash that are not stunnable by our current air pet (regardless of EM level). Sorry but something does not add up.

About the only way I can possibly almost agree is if you found a spot where you can pull a tide drifter, an armored tideshell, an infant eel and a cave hammerhead with no other mobs but I still have a difficult time swallowing it.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Air pet rocks in Argath, Sarith, and Valley...the problems with the stun start to become apparent when you go to VOA T3 and T4. Once I switched to earth for VOA T4 the difference was night and day, and forced me to drop my old anti-earth bias that I had stuck to since Kunark heh...
Tlobad

Post by Tlobad »

I was not lvl 94 yet when I was doing tier 4. The Air pet had no issues tanking tier 4. Casting Aegis AA when it was up and alt tabbing between my bard/mage/necro they were dieing fast. I normally only have 1 merc on reactive up when botting because my buddy takes the 6th slot (my SK is the 5th).
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

I never said the air pet couldn't tank in T4...I said the earth pet was far better at it. Certain posts I made regarding how nice the air pet was in say Windsong were on other forums/sites, but that said, I learned from experience that the earth pet is a far better tank when you look at all variables involved, and especially if you go off moloing. I would agree in a group, especially one with the makeup you use, the mobs are probably dying so fast/smooth you wouldn't notice a difference much...
Tlobad

Post by Tlobad »

Back when I was a hard-core raiding mage when DoN was new up until POR I never used the earth pet. Was it like 2008 they added the 5% shielding bonus to earth pet? Now that I am 95 (got 2 levels last night) I will start testing out the earth pet with EM11.