Shards of Fear (AKA ROF Pre-Launch: Fear Shard Collection)

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Arien

Re: Shards of Fear (AKA ROF Pre-Launch: Fear Shard Collectio

Post by Arien »

OK so i dont see Sony referring to it as a Pre Quest so lets play a nice game of semantics, Launch Event if you like, or "Just a quest you got early access to" as Piestro put it but only after the PRE quest had been running for weeks, after the rewards were made public and after a fair bit of criticism.

But I dont think any of that really addresses the curious decisions the DEVs have made regarding shard levels item level requirements etc, do you ?

Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Arien wrote:
But I dont think any of that really addresses the curious decisions the DEVs have made regarding shard levels item level requirements etc, do you ?
Yes. They intended this to be a permanent thing and for you to get these rewards at a later level. Just because you assumed something false does not mean you are entitled to the rewards of your false assumption. It always was and will be just a quest that's there and tied to the RoF expansion. Also, it's clear they always want to push you into the new expansion so making it a required level that forces you to get the next expansion is a smart business move that keeps in line with that Sony trend.

Nothing about this quest strikes me as strange. People feeling entitled to these quest rewards, however does strike me as bizarre.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

The issue to me is that it was crazy hard and now is going to be crazy easy to get those items, and the implication was you needed to do this NOW or else given how past expansions have worked things (no didnt exactly come out and say that directly, but history and behavior implied it was so). They might as well just given them all away as claim items. There was no benefit at all to doing the collecting early - if anything it was a detriment because you wasted time collecting 20 ultrarare items when in a single patch they all will become much easier to get.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

svenalo wrote:There was no benefit at all to doing the collecting early - if anything it was a detriment because you wasted time collecting 20 ultrarare items when in a single patch they all will become much easier to get.
I agree with the wasted time. With no information on this quest people did feel the need to rush and get these in case it was a short lived quest. They should have stated something about it's duration when it showed up in game.
Arien

Post by Arien »

Its not a waste of time at all, you improved your faction for the new expansion.

People spent time in game collecting them which is really the point of any content Sony produce, To have stated the duration wouldnt have been a smart business move as it would not have generated the same level of involvement.

I dont think the level requirement is really much of an incentive to leveling in the expansion, or even buying it for that matter. Just cant see people thinking 'oh i must get RoF and to 98 so i can use that 1 Aug.

To exclude anyone who doesnt have RoF all they had to do was make you hail an NPC in a RoF zone to collect your reward.

The positives
Improved faction for the new xp pre release.
A decent reward in the Aug. (at the required level)
Its still avaliable post release, which i'm surprised at but happy to have the chance.
I'm rather pleased that the reward isnt based on your level at completion, I'm not a fan of that mechanic.

I know were all used to getting gear from mobs/mission chests or raids that maybe we arent quite high enough to use at the time. Generally it's within a few levels and its cool to have some new toys in your bag when you ding, but an aug and faction for content that could be over 80 levels away is just dumb when the quest will be still active post release.

Still no point beating this to death here it wont change anything, I'm glad i didnt do the collections or pay the insane prices people were asking for shards, I'll do the quest while i'm progressing though RoF and leveling to 98, Hopefully for those of you that did do it the faction boost you have going into the xp will be of some direct benefit rather than just a time filler/waster.

Arien
Last edited by Arien on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

The waste of time is, the droprate was exceedingly low prior to RoF launch. Now they are increasing the droprate. Even more so when you are fighting in RoF zones, that is BS.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Piemastaj wrote:The waste of time is, the droprate was exceedingly low prior to RoF launch.
Aye, very low. As a matter of fact I've only seen 1 shard so far and since I couldn't be bothered with it, I let someone else loot it.
Aanelyen
Magician

Post by Aanelyen »

After playing for weeks in VoA zones and getting a total of 2 shards to drop, I just decided it was not worth the effort, and went back to level some alts in Feerott - getting 6 more shards to drop there over the course of a single weekend - but they are stupid rare. I too thought this was one of those "pre-" quests where once the expansion launched you were just out of luck, glad to see that is not the case.
Aither
Elementalist

Post by Aither »

Personally I didn't mind the time sink involved in doing the quest before release. But then I made a new alt and collected shards as I powerleveled the toon with DS. Pulling trains of 100 or so grey con mobs made this quite fast, most of my time spent in nobles causeway. Alt is now level 80 with almost 1500 aa as well. Over the course of two days I was able to aquire all of my shards and give away a dozen more to guildies. I gave away all the really low level ones, and kept the ones from nobles causeway for myself, and then only had to shroud once.

Overall the ordeal gave me something to do while waiting for rof release.