serious question about EQ and playtimes (long)

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Re: serious question about EQ and playtimes (long)

Post by Goranothos »

Calebe wrote:As for gear group gear in HoT it is very good stuff. I raid and we are farming SS, and I still wear some of the group gear. I see little point in upgrading some of them as the group gear is good enough for those slots.
Yes. That makes sense. I've upgraded my arms/legs/shoulder, but still have a lot of T4 group gear. If I were raiding mage, I doubt I would be spending DKP on waist/wrists/hand unless I had my more important slots upgraded already. T4 group gear is nice stuff. Should be interesting to see what the next expansion's gear looks like. Mudflation marches on.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Glad to hear you are finding better results. :)

BTW A Summoned: Spectral Ragesword pet makes a huge difference if you are bouncing aggro.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Danille wrote:Glad to hear you are finding better results. :)

BTW A Summoned: Spectral Ragesword pet makes a huge difference if you are bouncing aggro.
Semi-related to this but does the rule of if a mob is rooted the mob will attack whichever pet is closest regardless of aggro still apply?
Danille

Post by Danille »

yeah I usually use the earth pet only when soloing/moloing
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

Goranothos wrote:Thank you both. After rereading my post, it strikes me as being a bit whiny and sissy now. I got pwnd by some nameds, and then a group comes along and kills them np and gives me the loot, which pissed me off more than if I had just wiped a couple more times. :lol:

Well being on FV, I might get lucky and find a better pet focus in the baz, and I certainly do need to refine my boxing skills more. I'll keep plugging along.

I play on FV for exactly the reasons you're describing.

Personally, I don't (and have never) liked raiding in EQ. It is critical on regular NO DROP servers if you want any of the phattest lewts, but on FV I usually just farm cash, solo/molo crap from past expansions, and goof off with my guildmates.

For me, EQ is a waste of time, but a fun one. Nothing more. You will be better served by nearly any other hobby out there, and chasing the end game will only come at the cost of your "real life".
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

I really enjoyed my raiding days. I was never in a "hard core" guild, but we raided about three nights a week and took out impressive (for the day) mobs. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately for me, my playtimes are now mostly Saturday and Sunday afternoons.....and hardly any (probably no) guilds raid those times. I sometimes get to play for an hour or so on weekdays, but no way could I commit to raiding any at all Mon-Fri.

Yea, EQ is nothing but a way to waste time, but I do (usually) have fun playing, and everyone needs a way to relax.
Eandori Raintree
Elementalist

Post by Eandori Raintree »

Hey there Goranothos,

I remember your name and I think I've seen your profile a few times over the years. I have often thought we have very similar EQ lives.

We both play mages
We both have spent a LOT of time solo/molo
both played since early days
both have lives outside EQ and wives
both seemed to arrive at the same place... perma-gimp if you will.

For me, I have just made the choice to embrace it. I really don't care anymore about being the best or the top. If I can achieve some uniqueness in other ways... fine. I'll make the best of that too. But it's been completely clear for years now that these games reward those who give up their own real lives to play the online toons.

It's PROPER that they get to higher levels of ability and skill. That's what makes EQ a great game. Personally that no longer bothers me. There was a time I pushed myself to get there, but those days are long since gone. (career and family made sure of that)

Now, I simply look at EQ as entertainment. If I feel like playing, I do. If I feel a commitment to play... based on some silly guild requirement or something I purposely move away from it. Can't commit my most precious thing which is TIME to something unless it really deserves the time.

With the addition of Mercs, easy to get gear on FV, and old school raid targets to go after... I have a great time when playing EQ. Even more fun lately now that I'm doing the whole de-level and level back up thing. It's like reading a favorite book again... but with POWER!

Just focus on fun, don't make it too serious, and never look to others to get a feeling of self worth. There is always somebody better, there is always somebody worse. But EVERYBODY can strike a balance of being happy with who you are... yet always challenging yourself to improve and then enjoying the process of doing so.

Cheers,