Essence Farming

Things to do once you've hit the max level cap.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Essence Farming

Post by Tweelis »

So I finally got around to starting SoD gear farming. If you look at my magelo (gear is current, aa's are not up to date yet) http://eq.magelo.com/profile/402042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you'll see I'm in dire need of some gear upgrades. Although friends and guildies have been generous with the non-visible gear my visible gear is really lacking. I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to recommend where I can/should start farming essences?

I'm pretty much solo due to my play schedule so something I can do with me and a T4 (soon to be T5) merc cleric. I did molo http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=31289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a EM1 air pet (just got the EM2 aug last night.....will that help much?) and had a pretty rough time with it just nuking hard while my cleric healed. I have no tracker so Field of Scale would be possible but rather difficult due to we have a ton of trackers that take out named as soon as they spawn.

So I'm asking:
1. What zones/camps would you suggest I try and get essences in when it's just me and my merc?
2. If I get more people to join me can you recommend a spot or three that would be almost moloable but would be better with a couple more toons?

Edit to update what others have said for quick reference for myself and others wanting the same information:
I've personally killed several T4 names with just a merc for help. Brusk of Oggok, Kuris the Garbage-Eater, Tonkk the Axestopper, Ezal, Crystalline Auridont.
AND
T3's should be easy enough. I'd recommend the Bite instance, especially if you have some friends willing to hold tasks for you, you could have several going at once.

T4 nameds aren't overly tough either, but in my experience you're better off hunting T5's and downgrading. I had to do that to my chest, my legs and something else. The T4's are hard to come by. I went through I believe a 27+ named kills without an essence between Tosk and KW.

T5's are on steroids, especially in OBF. It is advisable that you dispell mobs from that theme as they seem to come super buffed. I managed to molo 1 named mob in Koro, that was the feran. I also moloed a few in CoD, but those were rough. Like Bite for T3, you can do Studying the Portal for T5 to try and spawn the named, but I can't molo that wench. Died 6 times one day trying. The AE ramp just wrecks you hard core. Ramping for full dmg at 7K+, it only takes 2 rounds to kill me. However, I never did upgrade my cleric merc and I still walk around with a T3 one, so your mileage may vary with a better cleric merc. I refuse to spend the cash for the higher ones, even though I only break out the merc for named mobs in T4 and below.
Last edited by Tweelis on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Re: Essence Farming

Post by Zacatac »

I've personally killed several T4 names with just a merc for help. Brusk of Oggok, Kuris the Garbage-Eater, Tonkk the Axestopper, Ezal, Crystalline Auridont. I've failed to molo kill any named in T5 zones, and often died trying. Even some T5 trash mobs were too tough for me.
Elentarri
Elementalist

Post by Elentarri »

is it possible for any mage to solo the T% nameds in COD or bloodfields? a mage on my servers claims shes solos them, i find it somewhat doubtful
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Elentarri wrote:is it possible for any mage to solo the T% nameds in COD or bloodfields? a mage on my servers claims shes solos them, i find it somewhat doubtful
I won't say it's impossible, but I doubt it. I have a hard enough time making sure my pet doesn't get smoked by the trash in Kuua theme. IMO, trash in Kuua is harder than kora. I easily took out 3 mobs in kora with an EM 6 focused pet but the same pet in Kuua could barely stay alive. I suppose, if you were FM, had max pet discs and they were all up, a T5 merc, and engaged a named far enough from trash, then blew all discs at once, chained RS, then you might be able to take the named. That's very inefficient and and I would say that person "solo'd" (molo'd, really) a named but I would not say that person "solo's nameds" in Kuua. It could just be her definition. If you solo in Kuua, you aren't likely to have much discs up and pulling is a mage's nightmare in OBF.

That's my take.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Elentarri wrote:is it possible for any mage to solo the T% nameds in COD or bloodfields? a mage on my servers claims shes solos them, i find it somewhat doubtful
If you mean completely solo (no merc), it might be possible, but smurf hard. If you mean solo with a merc they're not that tough (fortify companion helps a ton). The issue is getting them single.

edit: should say, they're not that tough with a raid level pet focus and T5 merc.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

It is definitely not impossible to molo the nameds in Old Bloodfields or Korafax. I was able to do it with EM4 and a T4 merc. Granted it wasn't easy, but it is completely doable. Solo (w/o a merc i mean) would be hard to do, but if you time your spells and AAs right I don't see that far out of reach with a max focused pet. I think it would come down to how on the spot you are with your Aegis of Kildrukaun spells (iirc that is 9 free hits on your pet), and how fast u burn the named w/o getting summoned.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Glaven
Elementalist

Post by Glaven »

I've found just avoiding getting ripped apart on the enrage at the end is the hardest part. I'd be curious what methods people use for handling that.

Other than that, pet focus is the biggest factor. There's a huge difference between group level foci (EM III the highest currently?) and EM8
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I normally do pet guard, then hit pet hold. Then burn baby burn, ur regular pet is in range of the mob b/c of the guard/hold so then u don't get summoned and ur pet doesn't take the extra hits from meleeing in enrage.

That is how I do it anyway. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Ditto. Pet guard, pet back off until enrage ends.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Ok, so me and the merc took down a Korafax named today, just to say I could. Noc Bloodletter, he dropped the last essence I needed as well. :D
Wasn't pretty, had to chain a pet at the end, used all kinds of AAs, and was a very close fight.