Children and Video Games

Anything about anything goes here.
MeatnPotatoes
Elementalist

Children and Video Games

Post by MeatnPotatoes »

im dead-set on MAKING my kids play with actual TOYS and use their imaginations before i let them play video games..

i figure, ill start out letting them play with action figures and Legos, untill a year before school starts, then let them play on a "Leapfrog" system to learn stuff and get ahead, then when they complete the lessons allow them to play with other video games (as long as they are not immoral). since video game are proven to enhance kids eye/hand coordination and fast-thinking/brain-function

TV is proven to be the worst time consuming activity for people (children in particular) because all of the content is spoon-fed to you, but video games require interaction. espessially games that teach. (i.e. leapfrog games)

how do you plan on handling things? if at all?

obviously a leapfrog system doesnt replace actual parenting. i would never tell someone that it does. but as far as video games goes, leapfrog games are games i would be proud that my 4yr old conquered.

after all. if a child is smarter than the kids in their class from the get-go, they are more likely to find enjoyment in that fact, and learn more, (not to mention learn) because they want to "stay" smarter than everyone.

-MeatnPotatoes
Erolissi Marr Server
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Re: Children and Video Games

Post by najiwench »

I got the kids the LeapPad...but it was broken within a month *sigh*

They play computer games (playschool, barbie, disney, pandanda, neopets, nickelodeon, stuff like that) when they have earned it, but to earn it, they have to do their chores and finish their homework.

When the weather permits (funny to say that, in southern cali, but lately it's been more like seattle LOL) they spend most of their free time outside. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where I feel comfortble letting them do that. They also watch quite a bit of television, but I'm comfortable with the amount. They aren't couch potatoes and usually the programs run in the background while they play with something else.

In fact, my almost 3 year old son just got up, walked over, turned off the television and said "that enough tv". Much to his sister's dismay, since they like watching tv while they get ready for school LOL

It's all about moderation and following their lead. I think the biggest problem comes in the families where the TV is used as a babysitter rather than leisure. All my kids enjoy our Wii and 360 (well, when it was working need to get it fixed) but only as a treat (except the Wii Fit, I let them play that whenever they want LOL)

Maybe my kids are just different, but it hasn't been difficult keeping them into real toys and away from the video games and television.
Siggy by Eireann
jack96jill
Arch Mage

Post by jack96jill »

my niece just turned 2, and she's very much far ahead of where her brother was at that age. can count to 20 (when she feels like it :P) can say her abc's, talks pretty good. Anywho, she loves dora the explorer and last time i had to babysit her, had to suffer through several episodes, the cartoon encourages participation and interaction about as best as one could hope for via tv.
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

My son thinks dora's an idiot..he yells at her all the time for letting that stupid fox steal her crap..
Siggy by Eireann
jack96jill
Arch Mage

Post by jack96jill »

out of the 3 or 4 episodes i watched, the fox never gets to steal anything, they always get a heads up and repeat the 'swiper no swiping' 3 times...i remember cause i thought it was annoying as hell :P
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

Yeah, there are quite a few where he actually gets whatever it is they have...my son gets mad because he knows you're supposed to say Swiper no swiping, but she doesn't do it..LOL
Siggy by Eireann
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Not 100% on topic but.....

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podca ... 034C7EF84B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Video Gameplaying Surgeons Perform Better On Skills Test
A new study found that surgeons and surgical residents with a history of playing video games for three hours or more per week performed significantly better on a standard surgical skills test than their nonplaying colleagues.

February 20, 2007 -- Video Gameplaying Surgeons Perform Better On Skills Test

Given a choice of surgeons, you might actually want the one sitting in the hospital lounge playing video games. Because such goofing off might be good training. A study just reported in the February issue of Archives of Surgery found that cutters who played video games did better on a standardized surgery test.

The study looked at 33 surgeons and surgical residents doing a course called the Rosser Top Gun Laparoscopic Skills and Suturing Program. That program scores surgeons based on the time it takes them to do some simulated surgery techniques and the number of errors they make. Participants were rated and then those ratings were compared with the surgeons’ reports about how much time they spent playing video games.

Turned out that surgeons with a history of three or more hours of video game playing per week made 37 percent fewer errors and were 27 percent faster than non players. So you might indeed want a video game player to close that tracheoesophageal fistula. But if you want to be a surgeon, remember, don’t spend so much time on the X-Box that you flunk your MCATS.
jack96jill
Arch Mage

Post by jack96jill »

where it gets damaging is when parents dont monitor how much they play and/or how they play when they do play video games.

my nephew already has heaps of problems with attention and has a few crossed wires, it doesnt help when my bro in law an sis let him play all the time. he's easily frustrated, has no friends (his neighborhood really doesnt seem to have that many kids even close to his age), he has a hard time controlling himself. Alot of this is parenting and genetics at work, where the vid games come into play is they use it as a pacifier, a distraction to keep him out of their hair when they are doing other stuff. He can concentrate on the vid game, but when you want his attention it just isnt there. he'll bounce from a console game to the computer.

so, when he gets frustrated with rl, he goes to console game, when he gets frustrated there, he hops to the computer.

but, at the very least he's adhd, and im thinking he could be bipolar too. Just adds to the situation of how hard he is to work with.

anyway, kids really need to be exposed to video games, just for the simple lesson parents need to supply them, that its fun, its handy, it can be a learning tool, but you have to know when enough is enough. you have to instill a sense of self control, if not, then they'll be exposed to it later, and it will be possibly harder for them to learn when to put it down. Sure, there are other ways to learn/teach the self control, but they will be exposed to vid games and new technology for the rest of their lives.

if your going to go the leapfrog route, make sure they dont see the flashy fun games on your xbox or computer, its like see'ing dad eating cake when all your getting is plain oatmeal.
Remodius
Grand Summoner

Post by Remodius »

I think letting earlier than school aged kids play video games is ok, if its done with moderation. We own the Wii and the Xbox360, they don't really play on the Xbox too much, but they really enjoy the Wii. My 4 year old has learned a lot just by playing Mario Kart Wii...I can see already how her hand and eye coordination has increased dramatically. I also note that some of her biggest problems have been with group activities and selfishness, but racing on the "team" setting has helped that, I actually see her cheering on the computer animated dudes.

I too think its all in moderation and how its presented. They by no means sit on the computer or the Wii all the time, rarely more than 2-3 nights a week for just a little bit of a time, maybe half an hour to an hour max. A lot of time, we play interactive with them, including the Mario Kart racing.

My kids play with plenty of real toys too...although not as often or as regularly as I might want. There are a lot of things that they ask for that perhaps we think might be more enjoyable for them than say...a box, yet, inevitably I come home nights and find boxes strewn about while the expensive toy sits unused. There are other ones where when they remember they have it, or I mention it for the next hour they are inseparable, but then it quickly goes by the wayside again. There are old standbys, I love the Legos (although I hate having them strewn about, yet despite repeated warnings and corrective action they are still EVERYWHERE) but I Think those toys encourage group activity, creativity, and help with actually creating what they visualize.

I think your plan of action sounds reasonable and fair...I just warn you that kids are rarely reasonable and fair. Life happens, go with it, be as moderate and kind as you can, and realize that its NEVER as 100% cut and dry as you want it to be. The best laid plans for your kids are only good until the first "WAH!" and then things change.
I had this really smurf awesome quote by RFK, but because we are only allowed 255 characters, I can't put it up here, so I am writing this in protest of a stupid smurf limitation.
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

Remodius wrote: I think your plan of action sounds reasonable and fair...I just warn you that kids are rarely reasonable and fair. Life happens, go with it, be as moderate and kind as you can, and realize that its NEVER as 100% cut and dry as you want it to be. The best laid plans for your kids are only good until the first "WAH!" and then things change.

Exactly. The best rules for parenting are the soft ones that are flexible depending on the situation and circumstances.

I pretty much let my kids play the Wii whenever they want. It's physical, and as long as they are taking turns and not fighting over it, great. For my kids, though, that works, because they would rather go outside with their friends. If they were the type of kids who preferred to sit inside and play the video games, there would have to be more restrictions.

Just play it by ear and roll with it...you'll figure it out :)
Siggy by Eireann