RIP EQ2

Anything about anything goes here.
jack96jill
Arch Mage

Re: RIP EQ2

Post by jack96jill »

actually, in the form of these games, its more of a time invested than actual addiction towards the later stages of the game. the more time you have invested the more value you place on it making it harder for you to put it down as easy and compelling you to continue forward with advancing your character.

Though there is some physical addiction that could be associated with them as well imo. Every time you achieve a goal the brain releases 'feel good' chemicals :twisted: . So the more goals you achieve the more chemical that gets released. This kinda ties in with a social aspect in that the people around you in the game are doing the same things and goals, and you have a group to communicate with about your progression and such.
Kelno
Conjurer

Post by Kelno »

Danille wrote:
Kelno wrote:
najiwench wrote:The last time I checked, businesses exist with pretty much the sole purpose of making money...I could be wrong, though.
You say that like it is a good thing.

Either way, the making money and releasing a quality product are not mutually exclusive. They only are if you (as an entity) are greedy smurf.
Have you ever owned your own business?
Ahh yes, the sacred cult of greed rears its head.

Get it through your thick skull - the accumulation of money for its own sake IS NOT A GOOD THING.
Man will never be free. (until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest)
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

Kelno wrote:

Get it through your thick skull - the accumulation of money for its own sake IS NOT A GOOD THING.
:roll:

and businesses are not generally charities. This is a GAME...leisure..it is not a necessity, it is not something people will die or suffer if they don't have it...the only reason EQ2 exists is to make money by providing a non-essential past time. If you have such a problem with people making money, perhaps you should just stop playing video games and live on a commune somewhere.
Siggy by Eireann
Kelno
Conjurer

Post by Kelno »

najiwench wrote:
Kelno wrote:

:roll:

and businesses are not generally charities. This is a GAME...leisure..it is not a necessity, it is not something people will die or suffer if they don't have it...the only reason EQ2 exists is to make money by providing a non-essential past time. If you have such a problem with people making money, perhaps you should just stop playing video games and live on a commune somewhere.

I'm not arguing that at all.

I'm simply saying that, while this move may make sony more money, it is the death of eq2 as an enjoyable experience for those of us without enormous amounts of disposable income.
Man will never be free. (until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest)
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

OMG, Microsoft let MS Dos die and now I can't play mechwarrior 1 anymore! Since I don't have large amounts of disposable income I say let's walk around the MS campus with pitchforks and yell "We are very upset, upset we really are"

Kelno, if somebody can't afford to do something they should probably look at cheaper things to do. I can't afford to race Ducati's so I choose to do cheaper things instead. If the new pay structure for EQ is too much for somebody it might be time to look at a library or some other less expensive alternative or maybe even change their priorities so they can play EQ or how about get a better paying job so they can afford all the goodies they want.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Tweelis wrote:OMG, Microsoft let MS Dos die and now I can't play mechwarrior 1 anymore!
Actually you probably can! Google DOSbox.

Tweelis wrote: Since I don't have large amounts of disposable income I say let's walk around the MS campus with pitchforks and yell "We are very upset, upset we really are"

Kelno, if somebody can't afford to do something they should probably look at cheaper things to do. I can't afford to race Ducati's so I choose to do cheaper things instead. If the new pay structure for EQ is too much for somebody it might be time to look at a library or some other less expensive alternative or maybe even change their priorities so they can play EQ or how about get a better paying job so they can afford all the goodies they want.
+1 Well said.
Kelno
Conjurer

Post by Kelno »

Tweelis wrote:OMG, Microsoft let MS Dos die and now I can't play mechwarrior 1 anymore! Since I don't have large amounts of disposable income I say let's walk around the MS campus with pitchforks and yell "We are very upset, upset we really are"

Are you really that Edited for personal attack
Tweelis wrote:OMG, Microsoft let MS Dos die and now I can't play mechwarrior 1 anymore! Since I don't have large amounts of disposable income I say let's walk around the MS campus with pitchforks and yell "We are very upset, upset we really are"
Not just a strawman, or a non-sequitur, but BOTH. GJ

Tweelis wrote:Kelno, if somebody can't afford to do something they should probably look at cheaper things to do. I can't afford to race Ducati's so I choose to do cheaper things instead.
Again, non-sequitur. The situations are not analogous at all.
Tweelis wrote:If the new pay structure for EQ is too much for somebody it might be time to look at a library or some other less expensive alternative or maybe even change their priorities so they can play EQ or how about get a better paying job so they can afford all the goodies they want.
again, non-sequitur. again, your smurf smurf capatalist mythology of 'just go get a better paying job!' 'APPLY YOUR GREED'
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Self edit. :-)
Last edited by Goranothos on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Kelno,

Have you played EQ2 for free yet?
SilverbladeTE
Arch Magus

Post by SilverbladeTE »

RIAA and it's associated crap proves that big business isn't bothered about quality, only profit above ALL else, even to the point of destroying their own business and blaming everyone else for their refusal to invest in quality acts, screwing over musicians MUCH worse than the "pirates" do, etc ;)

the folk who MAKE the content usually are smurf passionate about it, but hte coprorate maggots who are way up the chain are sh**-eating cancer causing ratpukes
See Electronic Arts, they have destoryed many of the great studios by their crap: Bullfrog, Westwood, Pandemic, etc