Older Games

Anything about anything goes here.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Re: Older Games

Post by Goranothos »

Lots of great games mentioned here, and I've played most of them. But.....not sure they have aged well. I do still go back and play BG1&2 every now and then.
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

EQ Mage Tower wrote:Might and Magic series (Especially Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen)
These were my all time favorite DOS games! I still have the disks somewhere! When I beat MM3, I mailed my high score in and got sent a pin from New World Computing, the makers of the game!
nako
Conjurer

Post by nako »

Some really old stuff:

Rogue-like games (ascii text, top down, dungeon crawlers -- a lot more fun than they sound):

Nethack
Moria/Angband (+ variants)

Strategy stuff:

King's Bounty or the 20-year later sequel: King's Bounty: The Legend
Warlords -- Played this on a Mac in early 90's, not sure if it's available for DOS/PC or not.

+1 for XCOM and Star Control!
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

System Shock 1 was (and still is) one of my all-time favorites. Long live the DOS games!
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Ah Nethack. That was good stuff. I was also a fan of Evets, which was sort of like a cross between Final Fantasy and Nethack. Same ASCII graphics, but when you got into fights you entered a combat menu and did turn based combat. Also one of my favorite death screens ever. A tombstone with the quote:

We'll be the greatest
is what they said
but sorry to say
they're now all gone.

It also wasn't as flexible or funny as Nethack (you couldn't pray too much and get the gods angry and have them try to kill you with lightning).