*Rift*

Anything about anything goes here.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

*Rift*

Post by Tweelis »

So I downloaded this game and started playing it a couple of days ago. While there isn't much in the way of "new" stuff there's a pretty nice chunk of fun in the game itself. The game play and set-up is very different from EQ. Yea you still choose a starting race like EQ as well as a class. However that's where the similarities really end.

So far I'm level 4 on the gnarlwood server. Although simply killing mobs for xp is viable the quests are actually pretty fun. A couple of the quests have been nothing more than "go kill X mobs" some other quests have been more of a "go preform duty ABC for us" which may or may not involve killing.

Here's some websites that give some starting info:
http://rift.zam.com/
http://rift.ign.com/wiki/Beginners_Guide
http://www.kfguides.com/rift/guide.php
Danille

Re: *Rift*

Post by Danille »

Danille, Level 50 Elementalist/Dominator/Archon ~ Defiant faction, - Belmont Server
Nylrem0fTest

Post by Nylrem0fTest »

With this extended downtime, considering buying Rift now... would like to get some insight from some old-time EQers. Does it live up to the hype? and how fun is it really?

It seems like getting max level is pretty quick, and I have read that top level content is pretty scarce. Was also wondering what the monthly subscription price was, haven't seen that posted anywhere yet, but haven't done a whole lot of extensive searching yet.

I also read on some forum that some factions on some servers are extremely scarce, and thus making it very difficult to do much of the harder content there, with that faction.

Any insight I could find from the magician EQer would be awsome :)
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

The hype......Rift is quite different from EQ in that.....well, nearly everything is different. I wasn't really sure what to expect aside from what I read on the sk boards which wasn't much. The graphics are very much improved however a better video card is required. A lot of the xp and gear comes from questing which is really good IMO; much better set-up than EQ. Granted there is some "go out and kill 5 mobs and return to me" type quests there's also a lot of quests that involve more. If you like quests then you'll enjoy this game. If you want mindless slaughtering of mobs solo it'll get really old pretty fast.

Levelling is indeed quick. I made a guardian necromancer tonight and in about 2 hours it's up to level 7 necromancer/chloromancer. My pet is pretty beefy and the spells take some getting use to. Some spells are instant cast with some cooldown while others have casting times. Some spells require mana but not all. The spell tree is rather confusing until you figure it out which is very intuitive if you diddle with it while reading the kfguides link above.

The monthly subscription varies from $15/month down to $11/month depending on if you want a month to month, three month or six month subscription.

I'm on gnarlwood server. The lower level areas are pretty barren but not totally deserted then again it's one of the first servers in game so you might have better luck elsewhere. I chose gnarlwood because of some other people I know on it.
Danille

Post by Danille »

You will find that the strength of Rift is that it works well for all playstyles. For example:

Solo - you dont need to join a guild at all if you just want to experience the game. It is quite challenging solo and you pretty much get caught up in the changing environment, versus just looking at the world as the same boring place. i.e. your working on a quest and you go to make your final hail and you find out that the camp with the NPC is under attack by the opposition! You need to defeat the enemy so that the camp will revert back to it's normal state and you can finish your quest.

Sometimes your working on a mission or quest and you hear trumpets blaring, or you can hear an NPC yelling for help or you can see on your map that a whole bunch of bad guys are headed your way and you need to run to get out of the path of death in order to survive. Don't think about going afk safely in this game, as you can be afk in a "safe" area only to have it change to evil a few minutes later.

If you want to get into PvP mode, while solo, you can join 'war fronts" that allow two teams of players to enter an instanced zone with two sides. Guardian/Deviant. These same factions exist throughout the game and have their own experienced and leveling sections devided across the world pretty much 50/50 Both factions are good, but Guardians rely on skill to their advantage while Defiant relies on technology.

While playing the game you earn faction, experience and a whole bunch of different currencies. There are zonewide events, world events and events for all to join. When running to an event, you will be automatically grouped or raided together with other players in non-instanced content so there is never an issue with being LFG or LFR ever.

The gear system is very nicely done with three main gear levels, Green, Blue and Purple with the difficulty going in the same order. You can get the best gear by doing solo, group or raid dungeons, but if you just want to do quests in non-dungeons, be prepared to get just green or blue gear.

They have bankers and an offline auction system and you can either "bid" or "buyout" items for currenty. When you win the item or buy it out, it appears in your ingame mail.

An elementalists is the closest to a mage, and you can use that as the 1st part of your soul tree. If you want to add enchanter qualities to your ability you can pick a dominator as your 2nd soul and you can be a healer to by adding a cloromancer to your thrid soul tree. You can create multiple soul trees as well for example a (Elementalist/Dominator/Cloromancer) for solo, or you can load a new tree of (Elementalist/Rogue/Archon) for raids and group dps modes.

The raids are simply amazing and very much like EQ, except the dragons are HUGE and they are flying all over the place. All of the raids are highly scripted. There are some non-instanced raids where the whole world can join in and help you defeat the boss mob, and everyone who assists will get some type of reward without penalty to the guild that is raiding.

There is very little downside to assisting others in this game as there are only positives from helping each other. A fun and exciting game.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Danille wrote:Danille, Level 50 Elementalist/Dominator/Archon ~ Defiant faction, - Belmont Server

Wow, I can barely find time to keep my raid attendance above 30%.
I am never able to group and only solo if/when my exp bar is low enough to drop to level 89 when i die.
No clue how people find the timeto do EQ plus another game like this.

I need to win the Lotto so I can enjoy the good life!!!

Sued...
Danille

Post by Danille »

qibrme wrote:Wow, I can barely find time to keep my raid attendance above 30%.
I am never able to group and only solo if/when my exp bar is low enough to drop to level 89 when i die.
No clue how people find the timeto do EQ plus another game like this. I need to win the Lotto so I can enjoy the good life!!!
Sued...
Hehe!

Being in a partime raiding guild helps balance RL with MMO addictions. We are farming Converteum and HoT2/1.
Nylrem0fTest

Post by Nylrem0fTest »

OK, so I went out and bought Rift at Wally World tonight... and can't friggin log in. I've tried putting in the dang product registration code at least 30 times now, but it's like their server is overwhelmed or something. I have a very difficult time trying to log in, took several attempts to get my credit card registered, and still haven't been able to get it to allow me to play.

I haven't been able to successfully register on their forums either. I have gotten ahold of their support both asking questions online (will get back to me within 24 hrs supposedly via email) and talked to one support tech that finally got me into their system so I could register my credit card. However since they are no longer manning their telephones, can't get them to accept my product registration key (the telephone tech suggested I wait a few hours when their registration servers might not be so busy, that she couldn't help me over the phone, it had to be done online.)

If I would have bought the game from them, online as a digital version (wanted to play quicker, so drove 2 miles round trip to buy instead of the 8plus gig download, silly me) I probably would have been playing right now, since a product key doesn't have to be registered via the digital download.

So, until I start playing, if any others are interested in it... I would suggest getting the digital download version if you are going to buy it.

I do have access to read their forums now (just not post, I guess) and have read several posts that are not content with the game after playing for about a month, however. Apparently there are several that think there is a huge lack of content for end game, and that it comes very quickly, with most 'hard core' gamers gaining max gear/stats within a month or shortly thereafter and then being bored silly.

More to follow on my opinions of it, if I can get on tomorrow night... :)
Nylrem0fTest

Post by Nylrem0fTest »

Ok, so played it for a few hours tonight, pretty much got through the tutorial part, am at level 7 and just now venturing into the 'real' part of the world.

It was EXTREMELY difficult to get registered for RIFT. I ended up having to call the customer support and get them to log me in with the registration code that came with my game pack, because their login web page seems broke, it will not load on either IE 8 or firefox (what I was originally requested to try, that firefox is more compatible with their web pages)

The game really does seem to work well, the graphics are pretty good, and even the camera views/adjustment from 3rd person aren't bad.

I've barely scratched the surface I'm sure, but this does seem like a kind of limited game. I can see it holding my interest for a few months, but I think it's likely I will head back to EQ or on to another game if EQ is going to suffer too badly from this fiasco.

The ability to choose your abilities, mix n match n stuff, and be able to essentially 'reset' them for some coinage, or to have different setups available is pretty nice, but...

I think my biggest problem with this is, it's just too easy. The game pretty obviously caters to the young, and not with just the hairstyles/colors and such, but also with the way the game plays, quick, easy, and fast progression.

Just my 2cp so far...

And dang it, I really just wanna kick whoever's butt it was that attacked Sony, and I truly do hope they get caught, and spend very long sentences looking at bars 20+ hours a day.
Danille

Post by Danille »

go try a dungeon!