solid state drives

Anything about anything goes here.
Danille

Re: solid state drives

Post by Danille »

Calebe wrote:Always the best way is to just reload the OS from scratch.

I think I'm gonna take your advice but I have a kink in the plan. The current HDD consists of 2 250 GB HDDs configured in RAID 0

Should I just change the boot order of my PC to the removable drive first then SDD with the w HDDs disconnected? Then once I have the system up and running, plug the 2 hdds back in? Would they be unRAIDED at that point?
Last edited by Danille on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

If the drives are raided, you may not be able to access the information on the drives if you don't boot from that raid as the disks are part of it. You will need to back up files, music, pictures etc... to a flash drive, external hard drive etc.. anything that will hold it all. You can disconnect the drives to install to the SSD drive, or just boot off the DvD and be sure to select the SSD drive as the destination. I would then after the OS is installed and working, format the 2 hard drives, and put your files back. As you know you will have to reinstall all the apps, but as the drives are raided they won't do you any good for existing data as the raid is not working.

Sorry that throws a kink into things, but not to bad if a way to back up first. Be sure you have EQ fully backed up, as I said it won't write to the registry so it is a straight copy. Also while raid is fast, an SSD is faster, way faster.

Calebe
Danille

Post by Danille »

installing a new o/s from scratch on the SSD now, backed everything up on an external HDD. fingers crossed
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Danille wrote:installing a new o/s from scratch on the SSD now, backed everything up on an external HDD. fingers crossed
And that was the last we ever heard from Danille. Scientists theorize that the unholy combination of a SSD, Raid Array, and Windows 7 opened a portal to, yup... HELL ITSELF. Space Marine Zombies, Imps, and Cyberdemons came pouring out of Danille's PC. He was never heard from again......
Danille

Post by Danille »

Mahahah. been playing with EQ+O/S on SSD. All I can say is wow. Amazing! Thanks for all your help guys!
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Glad your liking the SSD drive. It does make a world of difference. Huge speed increase and the prices keep dropping which makes it only better for those thinking of moving to one. They aren't practicle yet to hold movies and pictures etc... but for a boot device and 1 or 2 (more if you get the 250 gig SSD Drive) they make a great upgrade to any PC. So anyone on the fence if this is a worthwhile upgrade I would say if you already have more then enough ram this is the single best speed upgrade you can do for your pc.

Calebe
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Calebe wrote:Also a good thing to do if you have enough ram (I have 12 gig), I turned off the swap file. That way no temporary files are written to the SSD drive extending it's life span. SSD drives have a finite number of read/write cycles one of the current draw backs to them.
I have 8 gig (max on my current MB). Assuming I purchase a SSD, and it is my only drive, I wonder if 8 gig is enough ram to disable my swap file? I tend to not do a lot of multitasking and seldom have more than two programs active at a time.

I also did quite a bit of reading on the subject, and found out that you are most certainly correct about SSDs having a finite number of read/write cycles, however most of the more recent articles that I read seemed to consider this pretty much a non-issue, as the average windows user should see an average lifespan of their new SSD measured in decades (assuming no other malfunction), so by the time the drive reaches the end of it's lifespan, it should be quite obsolete anyway.