Aion

Anything about anything goes here.
Nelith
Arch Magus

Aion

Post by Nelith »

Anyone tried it yet?

No one I know IRL still plays EQ. Everyone defected for WoW, and now some are leaving that for Aion.

Is it decent? I'm looking for something I can play with RL friends, as even my in-game friends list is dwindling.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Re: Aion

Post by Firen Fury »

i did the aion beta and i was very impressed... but i didnt get high enough to do the pvp stuff... i read very few complaints about the pvp tho... and the big question seemed to be weather or not there was enough high end content... but everything im reading seems to say there is, at least for now.

the graphics are amazing... it was a little questy for my tastes, but ive never liked doing quests anyway... its less questy than WoW, but more questy than EQ, from what i saw. there were some minor things that needed to be addressed but it was beta...

for the most part i was very impressed, and if i wasnt playing EQ, id be playing aion.
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Remodius
Grand Summoner

Post by Remodius »

See, I liked the questing, as long as it was straight forward. "Go to this place, and kill that many doohickies, and bring back a certain number of whatsis, to get your reward!" kind of thing.

The expansion where EQ released the drakkin as a race, with the new city and stuff, that was amazing to me. Lots of mid and low level stuff to do, I quested and quested only from level 1-lvl 45 in about 2 weeks, minimal playing time available, often solo but with a duo partner on occasion. It was fun, it was EQ, the gear and XP that you got from the quests were worth it, nothing made you feel like "WTF I JUST DID THAT FOR 2 HRS AND ONLY GOT 2 BLUE XP!!!" and it was a lot of fun for me.

That being said, I also found out there were a ton of other "hidden" quests, where there was very little flavor text to clue you in, it was more of a "stumble upon" kind of thing, and there were very few guides or people to help you. Those I was not a fan of. I am also not a fan of the deep involved 3 or 4 hour long time investment quests. I liked the task function, which was very much "go here, kill those, come back, get XP" kinds of things, they seemed to make the grind that much less of a PITA, and was something if you wanted to do it for an hour or 5, it was pretty much cut and dry. Remember the old "orc belt" quest in Kaladim and on orc hill?? THat was the shiznit of quests, go to the place in kaladim, run to Grater Faydark, kill enough orcs to get enough belts, then run back and get XP! That was a blast, at least to me. That was what EQ was to me, not "let go kill named in Noble's Causeway for 5 hours and see if we can get some uber lewts!" that to me was not much fun.
I had this really smurf awesome quote by RFK, but because we are only allowed 255 characters, I can't put it up here, so I am writing this in protest of a stupid smurf limitation.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

i gotta admit, i did like the way the quests were done... you get the quest, it tells you what to do, and if theres an area or a mob you need, it will locate it for you... so if you didnt want to screw around searching for everything you could just go get it done.

i didnt find any of the hidden quests tho

flying and gliding were a LOT of fun too...

maybe what impressed me most was the char creation... you could prolly have a whole guild, if not a whole server, full of toons, and not one would have to look the same as another. wish they'd do that with EQ.
Image . Image . Image
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

I'm reeeeally on the fence. On one hand I have RL friends that play WoW. On the other, I have one friend who just started Aion. And on the third hand (yes, I have three arms), I have a good set of online-only friends in EQ still running around.

I think what I'll do is: Play WoW using that resurrection scroll thing for a couple weeks. See if it captivates me. If not, I'll maybe borrow my friend's account and give Aion a whirl. See if it has what I'm looking for.

If all of that fails, I guess I'll just hope I get into the SW:TOR beta and wait for that one. /shrug
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

honestly, i wasnt impressed by WoW at all... the graphics were kinda neat and the class structure was interesting... but it didnt hold my interest at all... IMO, aion blows it out of the water.

aion blows eq outa the water too, honestly... its just that i have too much invested (time, friends, etc...) in EQ to give up on it now (plus being in the top 25 for clerics makes me want to try to get higher hehe)
Image . Image . Image
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

Firen Fury wrote:honestly, i wasnt impressed by WoW at all... the graphics were kinda neat and the class structure was interesting... but it didnt hold my interest at all... IMO, aion blows it out of the water.

aion blows eq outa the water too, honestly... its just that i have too much invested (time, friends, etc...) in EQ to give up on it now (plus being in the top 25 for clerics makes me want to try to get higher hehe)
Being in the Top N list gets easier as subscription rates (like mine) drop. Food for thought.

Is it worth being the #1 cleric if you're one of like 50 left?
Remodius
Grand Summoner

Post by Remodius »

#1 is #1 baby. Ain't no other. #2 is the first loser.
I had this really smurf awesome quote by RFK, but because we are only allowed 255 characters, I can't put it up here, so I am writing this in protest of a stupid smurf limitation.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

theres still almost 10,000 clerics listed... i dont know how many are actually full time raiders still, but theres enough that it still brings a smile to my face.

but if that was the only reason i had for playing EQ, i wouldnt be playing EQ... i still really enjoy the game... and changing to cleric a year ago brought a new life into the game that i didnt expect to find.
Image . Image . Image
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

Well, friend let me use one of his accounts for Aion last night.

It's like Lineage II with wings and battlegrounds from WoW.

He's gonna take me on a dungeon crawl tonight or tomorrow, but I don't think it's gonna do it for me. Just too...Final-Fantasy-like.

And jebus. The questing system is so unchallenging and unimaginative it hurts. At least with WoW you have to intentionally install QuestHelper to get the location info and directions and such.

The combat animations are great, and I really like the concept of chaining skills/spells. To me, it's kinda like EQ's recourse system. It definitely gives a better feel than "/autoattack /afk".

The flight is lame. I have to say, it's totally lame. Restricting it to an area and restricting the time you can fly is totally, totally lame.

That's their whole hook for this game, and you can only use it in one aspect of the game.

Also, it feels like everything is so homogeneous. Character design aside, there are only 2 races and 4 base classes, with total of 8 classes after specialization. That's just too scant for me.

I got to test out a Sorcerer at level 30, and built a warrior from scratch, and will maybe try a Ranger at 30 also.

But, I have to say, I think I'll be back to WoW where at least I can goof around with RL friends.