Pulling Techniques

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Re: Pulling Techniques

Post by Merlaina »

Also for companion of necessity I think most people on this board agree to only get rank 1. Rank 2 makes the pet last longer, which is not actually a good thing since you want that pet to poof and blur as quickly as possible. A longer lasting pet means more time for him to get eaten by whatever he is supposed to be blurring. Even with just rank 1 against underfoot content I've certainly had my CoN pet die before it can do its blur thing.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Bastler, i am almost positive I have never had that happen before and I use CoN to pull probably everyday. Now im not saying it doesn't, but in my expierience if you do what I mentioned it will get you a single pull when the mobs are next to eachother.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Eanelder
Elementalist

Post by Eanelder »

Ninven wrote:hmm, so if the AA doesnt have a dot component, i could technically snare a mob, run to camp with non snared mob, send pet on nonsnared mob, FD. let 2 mages kill will agro drops then necro stand and either finish help killing or grab next one? even without waiting for snare to fade?
If you have 2 mages, dont need a necro to pull!
MeatnPotatoes
Elementalist

Post by MeatnPotatoes »

best way to pull singles is to box a bard =P
Ninven

Post by Ninven »

Just giving an update, all 3 toons are now level 78 with about 500 AA's. Pulling with necro AA snare and mage quickened CoTH could not be easier. I get singles non-stop, as quick as I want, and we are never waiting for a fight. Chain pulling is easy and effective. We are currently hunting in the eastern part of bloodmoon keep where each pull is like 5+ mobs and we are having no difficulty at all. All-in-all I am happy I stuck with the necromancer. The two air pets chain stunning a mob appears to be more effective than a mitigated slow, and the necro's ability to chain dps and stay relatively full mana is quite useful when fighting yellows/reds that last long even with 2 mages helping.

With that said, I will gladly let a shaman/ench/bard join our trio any time and roll with 2 healer mercs :)

Quick tips for any other people that may be reading this and were as clueless as me a week ago:
-Necro snare AA does not keep agro once agro dropped (I know this was said, but wasnt sure what it meant until I saw it in action)
-Mage COTH drops agro. It was said you needed to get cothed far enough away from the mobs for them to forget about you. This scared me as we know some quarters are rather tight. I was pleasently surprised just how close you could be for coth to still drop agro.

Another thing I never took into consideration, snare lasts 2 minutes. This is what I typically do. Snare one mob in a group of 4-5 mobs and start running back to camp while coth is being casted. Get cothed agro drops. Go back and snare one of the 3 mobs that are now far enough away from the snare one. Start running towards the camp, but stay a little to the side. get cothed agro drops. This time snare mob and run opposite direction and get cothed. Now snare last one not snared bring it in and burn. (all the while doing this, the mages are killing the other one that is now dead). So while you are burning this one, the other 3 you snare are still standing in their respective slots, snared, scratching their heads, and if you kill quick enough your next 3 mobs are easy easy singles ripe for the picking.

Okay i will stop rambling now, im just happy how the pulling is going :)
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Ninven wrote: -Necro snare AA does not keep agro once agro dropped (I know this was said, but wasnt sure what it meant until I saw it in action)
All snares without a damage component work the same way.
Ninven wrote: -Mage COTH drops agro. It was said you needed to get cothed far enough away from the mobs for them to forget about you. This scared me as we know some quarters are rather tight. I was pleasently surprised just how close you could be for coth to still drop agro.
This still has a distance component. Way, way, way back in the day it didn't matter. You could even CoH yourself and drop aggro, but that's not the case anymore. It may not be a huge distance, but it's still there so be careful how close your are to camp when you get CoH'd.