Pulling Techniques

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Ninven

Pulling Techniques

Post by Ninven »

Hello,

I am back after a 6 year+ break and lots of new stuff. I box a mage/necro and my gf plays a mage as well. I was reading through these forums and see people talking a lot about call of the hero and companion of necessity pulling. I'm not sure how either of these work. I was wondering if I can get some advice on how to pull most effective.

I guess I am mainly asking this: With these 3 characters, what is the most effective way for me to pull/split a camp. Is my best option to just snare fd pull on necro, wait for agro to drop and mobs to run backto camp and have the one snared single, or can I expedite the process combining the necro and mage utilities for quicker pulls?

In your recommendations, could you also describe how exactly each thing works?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Also, no need to ask what I have. Say what I need (AA's, items, etc) and I will get them :)
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Re: Pulling Techniques

Post by Merlaina »

I'd say the snare / CoH combo would be your best bet. Snare the mob with the necro, run away from what you're pulling perpendicular to your camp, and then CoH the necro to drop aggro. There is a distance requirement for CoH to drop aggro, so play with it some to see how far your necro has to be from camp for it to work. If CoH doesn't drop aggro you can always FD on the necro after CoH.
Daiou
Conjurer

Post by Daiou »

Necro snare have a DOT included, so after the CoTH, on the next tic when the dot does dmg the necro will be reaggroed. So you have to make certain that the snared mob will be seperated enough from the pack to not share its hate list again.

In that case i would say pull with snare. when snared mob is where you want it, FD and wait for the pack to return. CoTH the necro and snared mob will make its way to you alone.
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Daiou wrote:Necro snare have a DOT included,
Only the spell version, the AA version is dot-free. Also nowadays necro finally receives feign pet 4, with a 100% FD chance it seems for the pet. So you could give the necro pet some per armor, send it in, /pet back off and let it FD at any point, without aggro for the necro at all.
Daiou
Conjurer

Post by Daiou »

Very nice :D
Ninven

Post by Ninven »

hmm, so if the AA doesnt have a dot component, i could technically snare a mob, run to camp with non snared mob, send pet on nonsnared mob, FD. let 2 mages kill will agro drops then necro stand and either finish help killing or grab next one? even without waiting for snare to fade?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

CoH pulling is basically 1 char hits a mob with a non-dmging spell and trains the mob away from the grp. Once you get iirc 100 feet away u ask for coh and all aggro drops. As the mobs path back u tag a solo one and kill it with grp. Companion of Necessity is a pet who is alive for around 18 seconds. When that 18 seconds is up he stuns up to 2 mobs and blurrs them so you lose aggro. Now normally this is our oh smurf button because it blurrs but it can be very usefull pulling tool. For example, say you have 2 non-casting mobs next to eachother, I wuld cast CoN on 1 of them and as soon as u cast the other mob shuld run at you bypassing your CoN pet while your CoN pet aggros the other mob. So now you have 1 mob coming after you and the other attacking your CoN pet. Engage the one coming after you with your main pet, and then the CoN pet shuld stun and blurr the add and now u split the camp.

Fyi, casters can smurf this up. If say the mob u cast CoN on is the non-caster, well then the mob u wanted will start casting when CoN engages and will possibly just get blurred like the add. Both methods require timing, and learning the best route to take for them. Hope that helps. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Ninven

Post by Ninven »

All the information helps a lot thanks.

So from my understanding since I always box a necro and a mage, snare with necro + coth will be my main/QUICKEST (I'm looking for the quickest pulling solution with all available utilities that both classes provide) pulling technique on just grindind out camps. And situationally I may want to use CoN?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

That will probably be your quickest way to split camps/pull. CoN is nice if you dont wanna wait for the snared mob to run back to your camp.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Piemastaj wrote:For example, say you have 2 non-casting mobs next to eachother, I wuld cast CoN on 1 of them and as soon as u cast the other mob shuld run at you bypassing your CoN pet while your CoN pet aggros the other mob.
This is not fully correct.
CON seems to have an AE taunt, so if the 2 mobs are close it will aggro both of them. At that moment you can peel off one of them, I always use the non targeted one when I triggered CON by any means at your disposal.

The 3 main things for your COTH pulling are:

Room
As stated before COTH will only successfully erase aggro if the distance between puller and mage is 100 units plus. If the distance between mobs after the COTH is too close they might reaggro due to assist. But you can snare one and then peel the unsnared, while the snared one will stand around till the snare wears off. ~2min with Necro snare aa.
You would gain the same effect with necro root. Root mob A, run, get a COTH and peel off mob B.

Quicksummoning AA
12 seconds are actually a lot of time. With spellhaste, QS 2 should be sufficient to give 50% spellhaste on COTH, so it will be down to 6 seconds casting time.

Necro Snare AA.

Also remember the COTH Law of Preservation of Movement. While it doesnt matter if you run full tilt into a wall, it is quite hilarious to watch your puller zoom over the rim in Gyrospires. :lol: