Mage Partner

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Yillawen

Re: Mage Partner

Post by Yillawen »

Okay i got him talked out of the Pally after a few days so now he is open to Any classes. What do you think would be the Best partner for a 2 mage team?
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

First choice -
Enchanter + CoH = puller
They have buffs that will help the mages and their pets. They can mez, charm, debuff mobs. They have SLOW (very important at times).

Second choice -
Necro can also pull, with FD and/or CoH help. They can snare. If the group is about to wipe they can FD and wait for mobs to go away, then pop back up and rez. They have better dps than enchanter and a group +mana spell that is useful.

While wizards are great DPS, you already have that with 2 mages. What you really need is some utility, and enchanters are loaded with it.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Yillawen wrote:Okay i got him talked out of the Pally after a few days so now he is open to Any classes. What do you think would be the Best partner for a 2 mage team?
LOL the ENC is still the best choice but not everyone can or should play the enchanter class.
It takes a while before they become powerful and it takes the right personality to stick with an enc.
Lots of people dont like playing pet classes or don't like playing casters or don't like melee classes.

So you might want to ask your friend what he likes for starters.

Since he likes the Pally, he might try rolling an SK, since the SK can FD pull.
I grouped with an SK for about 3 years. He would pull and FD just out of camp agro range, I would COH to drop agro then the SK would single pull as the mobs path back. Same as COH pulling with pretty much any class, which FYI with a mage in the group, any class can pull, including clerics with pacify, so you don't really have to get locked into a pulling class, just need enough room for cOH to drop agro.

Rangers can pull, root, snare and DPS with arrows then tank in a pinch.

Druids can pull, have decent nukes and heals

Beast Lords work well with magicians as they slow and do good DPS. They can step back if in trouble with heals as mage pets will hold agro.

Shammy rocks with magicians. Send the shammy to root a mob then run away from the camp. CoH him and have him go back to the rooted mob, break the root and bring the mob to camp. With shammy slows, magician pets can tank anything. The shammy DOTs and will replace one of your merc clerics on heals as well.

About the only classes that have a tough time grouping with magicians are the rogue and monk since they don't tank well relative to the content their level drives, and mobs will hit them over our pets regardless of agro.

So talk to your friend and let him choose a class he will enjoy playing, then come back for tips on how best to make the most of that class in a mage group.

Sued...
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Never underestimate the power of a 3rd mage as well. 3 mages with pets, 1 uses a cleric merc the other 2 a dps merc and things will melt quickly and off tanking an add is a snap with 3 pets. To be ultra safe 2 cleric mercs and a dps merc (honestly dps isn't much issue at all with 3 mages), and your set. As Sued said you can use coh, CoN, and or drape to have mages pull also.

3 mages would make a very powerful combination. If want verity a chanter can slow, crowd control and pull, as you may have a cleric merc for buffs, healing, and resing. A shaman would help for the xtra buffs slows and other abilities they bring.

A lot of good combinations, I would go with 3 mages. Sure it may be redundant, but mages stack very well in any group, and tanking and cc using a pet to off tank would work very well. Besides I am a mage fan at heart and always like mage groups.

Calebe
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I still think Enchanter would be the best way to go. 2 air pets plus slow makes it feel like the mob isn't even hitting our pets lol. And Zac enc wont need to be CoHed, they can AE mezz mobs and pull 1 then AE blurr them. Enc is probably the best puller if you have no room to work with imho. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Enocha
Magician

Post by Enocha »

First choice -
Enchanter + CoH = puller
They have buffs that will help the mages and their pets. They can mez, charm, debuff mobs. They have SLOW (very important at times).
Bard - can do all that and way more, with zero maintenance from a botting perspective. They can mez, charm, debuff, slow, snare, pull, and add significant DPS (and cure/heal/add ac/resists/DA when needed) with one key and never melleeing, and add more mana regen. Not even close if between a chanter and bard for this setup. Plus drops are more spread out (3 casters vs. 2 casters and 1 plate).
JerusEQ
Magician

Post by JerusEQ »

Out of the choices you put up I think enc is pretty obvious pick. Slow/cripple + CC + buffs. 3 heal mercs + 2 air pets tanking back and forth with an enc doing support/debuffing.

As said above bard isn't bad. Enc has better slow/cripple so tanking the mobs will be easier, but bard also allows you to ping pong the mob a little by having the bard jump in to mitigate some of the damage . However a bard in a pet group is terribly boring.
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Post by Falino-Luclin »

As someone who routinely boxes mage + bard I can't imagine a combo that would allow me to do more than that combo did.

During SoD I was able to easily box every group named using those and cleric mercs except the guy in Korafax that mem blurs and shadow steps. You have a puller, mezzer, and a solid DPS boost from the bard even if he's not meleeing. If the bard has decent enough gear you can even have him melee on some stuff, though in UF that's pretty much out of the question.

Even without the bard meleeing, long term I'd say it's about a 25-30% DPS boost just from songs and AAs alone.
Zatpus
Elementalist

Post by Zatpus »

If Enchanter is out: Bard.

apart from the arguments already mentioned:

Bards slow + his selfbuffed defense contact-stun combined with 2 magepet-stuns should be good for some tanking as well, even if not for nameds. When pulling nameds, his own defdisc is very helpfull to get the beatdown started. It gives the mages time to get the second RS running befor the first one has even tanken a single beat. So now ontop of the 2 mainpets, you have 4 RS pets running, where the named has to chew throught before he can start to take on a real pet.

Even if a Bard may not be able to tank full all mobs, he for shure can position well the mob and can tank alot in "on-off"- mode. Means take a view rounds, when getting below 40% step back and let the pets take a couple of rounds unless healed back to full and jump in again. This again extends alot the lifespan of your RS-pets and therefore keeps the overall dps hight.

If your friend liked the paladin, the bard for shure is closer to that than an enchanter.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

JerusEQ wrote:Out of the choices you put up I think enc is pretty obvious pick. Slow/cripple + CC + buffs. 3 heal mercs + 2 air pets tanking back and forth with an enc doing support/debuffing.

As said above bard isn't bad. Enc has better slow/cripple so tanking the mobs will be easier, but bard also allows you to ping pong the mob a little by having the bard jump in to mitigate some of the damage . However a bard in a pet group is terribly boring.
It would be. And as mentioned later, he can sort of tank but it depends on content and gear. Once you make about 81+ and move into SoD and UF, it will be quite difficult to tank. It takes lots of aa's, gear, and augs for a Bard to tank. Bards make good boxes and can be fun but they kinda fall to the side like rogues and zerks in pet tank groups.

Enc is good but a few things have not been mentioned: their pets do about 3k dps in UF and they can stun. Two air pets plus chanter stun cuts the mobs dps by at least 50%. I had one em8 air pet and a RL chanter in convo the other day and my cleric merc was FM (or very close to it) every fight.