Mage Partner

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Yillawen

Mage Partner

Post by Yillawen »

I'm working up a second mage to box with my current mage with 2 cleric mercs and my buddy is wondering what would be good a Necro,Wizard or chanter. I wasn't sure so i figured i would post here and ask. Thanks for the Help
Danille

Re: Mage Partner

Post by Danille »

Out of the three choices you gave....necro for fd, pulling and snaring!
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Enchanter hands down. Enc can pull faster then a necro can, and they can also charm a mob for added DPS (not to mention crowd control). Along with that you have C, Mana Reiterate and Twincast auras to enhance the mages DPS, and haste for your regular pet. A well played enc is 1 of the most powerful classes in the group game.

Just my 2cp though. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Yillawen

Post by Yillawen »

But does chanter haste stack with Burnout?
zinophate

Post by zinophate »

I boxed a mage to 85 and my buddy also leveled a mage to 85 around mid SoD. Needless to say, we pretty much worked our way through SoD progression with the 3 mages (3/2 cleric merc) setup and were able to take down Korafax named without much of a problem.

That being said and looking back on it now, I wish I would have rolled a bard.

Pulling, CC, dps boost.....
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

I sometimes box my wife's chanter with my mage (or she actually plays, which is a little more uncommon these days). The chanter/mage combo is a great one. Chanter haste does sort of stack with burnout. You'll only get whichever haste percentage is higher (which is usually burnout), but the chanter haste usually has other bonuses like attack and chance to crit.

Still they're great for pulling, CC on bad pulls, slow, mana recursion, mind buffs, etc. And as has been pointed out, charming mobs adds significant DPS. At the high end though be sure to keep all chanter runes up and have an audio trigger for when charm breaks. I'm personally not crazy about charming while boxing since when it breaks you have to be able to react super-quickly to keep the chanter from going splat, but if done right it really is a good DPS boost.

There are a LOT of tricks to playing an enchanter well, and it takes a very good understanding of how aggro works and some of the subtleties of their spells, but once you learn them they are a very powerful class, and crazy good at CC and pulling.

Trick example: throw a knife at a far off target in a clump of mobs, then cast blanket of forgetfulness (AE memblur). If you time it right, the spell will go off right after the knife lands, and as long as the target hit with the knife is memblurred you'll either get no mobs (which is actually not what you want) or one or two from the ourskirts of the AE range. These mobs will only have assist aggro (as opposed to normal aggro) and thus won't train any other mobs to you even if they run right through them. If it's only two mobs close together you can use single target memblur instead to guarantee just the one mob. If the main mob isn't blurred, well, that's what self stasis is for. :)
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Yillawen wrote:I'm working up a second mage to box with my current mage with 2 cleric mercs and my buddy is wondering what would be good a Necro,Wizard or chanter. I wasn't sure so i figured i would post here and ask. Thanks for the Help
Of the choices it has to be ENC hands down.

You have 2 magicians so all the DPS you need to take on group content, yes a wizard could help you burn faster, but does nothing to enhance the mage or his pets. Wizards usually don't make good pullers.

The only thing a necro can add is FD pulls which takes the necro out of action while he waits for agro to drop on adds threby costing the group DPS.

An ENC makes you a better mage.
Magicians always want them in groups because they help you do more DPS on your nukes, slow the mobs, boost your total mana, control adds, and they can nuke. On top of all that, they are Crk dealers :D and I never met a mage who wasn't a Crk addict, especially while leveling. Forget about the ENC haste on pet, not going to make enough of a difference to base a decision to roll a toon on.
If the ENC is not being boxes then charming mobs is a good option, but i would recommend not charming if the player is boxing another toon.

Sued...
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

qibrme wrote:
Yillawen wrote: Magicians always want them in groups because they help you do more DPS on your nukes, slow the mobs, boost your total mana, control adds, and they can twiddle their fingers while trying desperately to nuke.
There, fixed that for you.

Seriously though, chanter nukes themselves are pretty pitiful. The top ones are around 3K base, and like our nukes they have a long enough recast time that you have to load a couple at once to be able to chain them. They become a little better with mana reiterate. Their DoTs are ok, but also nothing spectacular.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Just like a bard, enchanters aren't meant to be THE DPS in the group. They make the group so much better by using their abilities to help the group kill. The only semi-decent thing an enchanter has to do DPS is by charming a mob, which can be very risky as stated above. I think anyway you spin it, your friend would be best off playing an enc with your mages instead of a necro.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Yillawen

Post by Yillawen »

Okay Thank you all for all the input. He made a enchanter then said he didn't want to do it and made a Pally lol