new stuff

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: new stuff

Post by Piemastaj »

Liking the positive ideas, just a sidenote tho if we had unlimited strikes (1 per pet) and say we had 50 pets up that would be 50 lines of spell dmg going thru, 100 on twincast. That is a lot of lag generated by 1 spell, that we wuld twincast probably 3 times on a burn give or take.

Like I said before, the set amount of strikes we have now is fine. Just when X amount of pets is up double it, Y triple it, Z quad the damage. Or something similar to that for our of many line.

Would also love to see an AA rag pet on a short recast timer with no mana cost.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

And I'm on board with Sued. Like last year, we should ask for the moon. Let the devs water the stuff down, worry about class balance, and what class we are infringing on. Just ask for the smurf ability and let the Devs sort it out. It's better to start out OP and get watered down because the reverse does not happen
The Necros have done this for years. IT WORKS. Just look at those guys' damage. (If you can find one who will let you see their super-secret parses.) And that's only part of the story.

Mages, for some self-destructive reason, offer their heads and say Give me this and it's ok to CUT MY HEAD OFF. We need to be tougher in negotiation. Just keep adding stuff to the pile and let them take away.

Caveat: Keep your eye on the Pet. If they start to play take-away raise hell.

Bara
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

There is no negotiation. There isn't even communication.

No one is screwing us over in betas (except maybe Tulisin, but more in the way of not promoting what we want).
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

There is communication. There is negotiation. You just cannot do it out in plain sight.

Yes, Tulisin is retarded.

Bara
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

I can count on one hand how many PMs Aristo sent last beta ;)
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Malleria wrote:I can count on one hand how many PMs Aristo sent last beta ;)
Wow, more than me :cry:
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Piemastaj wrote:Liking the positive ideas, just a sidenote tho if we had unlimited strikes (1 per pet) and say we had 50 pets up that would be 50 lines of spell dmg going thru, 100 on twincast. That is a lot of lag generated by 1 spell, that we wuld twincast probably 3 times on a burn give or take.
Maybe it is just me, but if i woke up from a lag spike and saw the mob blown to bits by my spell and those of my fellow magicians who are getting even more lag from the 50 tells that say MAGICIANS ROCK ON RAIDS,
If i got tells from Rangers saying I ONLY GOT TO HIT THE NAMED ONCE BECAUSE OF YOUR SMURFING UBER MAGE DPS!
If we got the NURF MAGES /pokes instead of the pity parties.

The lag spike would be worth it.

But that is just me :P

Sued...
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

I think we need to reverse engineer our DPS request by choosing a target for where we want to be on burst DPS -- for example 50k DPS -- i am not saying that should be our goal -- it might be 60k or more.

We are set up okay as far as cast and recast timers for long fights.
The problem with the mage in burn DPS is that our spells take too long to cast and the recast makes it impossible to bring our biggest guns to the fight any faster than the cast and recast timers, etc will allow. So in a 2 minute fight if you are on the ball the max you will cast Spear is 8 or 9 times (this is just off the top of my head, I did not do the math).
If you had a way to cast spear 18 to 20 times, think how much that would improve the Damage Per Second. -- Of course you would burn through your mana a lot faster and have to manage agro.

I took the burn through all your mana thing from an old post by Mindrix where he talked about each point of mana does an average of X amount of damage so if you use all your mana on a long fight you might do 4 million points of damage but it may only be 12k DPS because of the fight duration, in this case 5.5 minutes.
The trick to having that 12k turn into 50k DPS is to do the same amount of damage in less than 90 seconds. -- 4 million damage in 80 seconds = 50k DPS.
Since each spell will do the same amount of damage and cost the same amount of mana you have to be able to cast the spells faster in order to do more damage per second.
That can only be done by lowering the cast and recast timers.
The only alternative to that is increasing the damage done by our spells to the point we nuke for the same as Wizards and i don't see that happening.
If they give us the ability to burn through our mana and therefore increase our DPS, then our only problem is to manage our mana pool on long fights like we had to in the old days -- I see no problem there.

By changing cast and recast timers they would not be giving us any new abilities that other classes can complain about such as AA's that no one else gets or a new nuke that only Magicians get which would bring out the envy in other classes.

Focusing on simple ways that are not too much work for the DEV's in order to give Magicians options by which they can choose to burn fast or run a marathon is IMO the way to go when presenting suggestions to the SOE DEV's.

Sued...
Last edited by qibrme on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Sillaen wrote:Yes, I'm stubborn so I got another pet idea for yah.
Do you ever look at the graph tab when using GameParse?

Isolate your pet and check out the top DPS peaks that pets put out. -- If you never looked at it, you might be surprised. ;)

That could be OUR dirty little necro parse secret.

All the DEV's have to do for Magicians take a decent upgrade in DPS is to increase pet accuracy.

Check it out.

Sued...
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Things to remember the dev specifically pointed to mages and said we need an increase to DPS that is NON PET related. That is what he wants to do for us, and it won't be pet related this time, and he did not say next expansion. So don't start with the pet DPS upgrades in this thread. It is self defeating and gets us nowhere.

So the thing to concentrate on is DPS bursting now, and it has to be non pet based because the dev is receptive to that at the moment, and that moment is fading. So make a new thread what we want in the next expansion for pets and concentrate on increased spell DPS this expansion non pet related and then post it on EqLive and hope for the best.

I made the suggestion of an extended forced rejuvenation basically allowing us to chain spears. Another one is a magic based spear on a different timer then the fire based one (same damage/mana cost/cast/recast timer), so we can cast current spear, the new magic spear, bolt, clash of many and back to spear/spear. That would dump mana faster and spear does way more damage then the RS pet, so casting the rs pet is a loss of DPS when you can cast spears especially under twin cast conditions.

Of course ask for reduced cast times (which was adjusted once), and reduced recast timer (also adjusted once). We can also ask for an AA to guarantee a % based increase to the base nuke so all focus and aa's can increase it further. They can fine tune the number but it would make all our spells do X % percent better during it active time.

Once again do not worry how it effects the group game. Do not say give us this and you can take away that. Do not ask for anything but better, bigger, faster and more, but never any negatives.

As Sued said and I have said no other class worries how their requests impact the group game, we shouldn't either. Also leave out any more damage shields, or those types for this. We don't need yet another spell we have to manage and maintain. We want personal DPS upgrade, that will get noticed and make us needed on a raid. Not just one person to cast rods, not one person who can cast a super damage shield that does 40,000 DPS and make all other mages wait. What we want is something to increase DPS and damage we deal to be wanted as a class not just one person to cast a spell.

Calebe