Pet DPS increases

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Re: Pet DPS increases

Post by Adonhiram »

What do you guys think of giving the gargoyle an AA-bought ability to backstab too ? The idea came by chatting with Conjurous during a camp session, not only would this raise the pet part of dps but it would also increase the aggro our gargoyle generates. Let's call it maybe "Vicious Strike" ?
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Adonhiram wrote:What do you guys think of giving the gargoyle an AA-bought ability to backstab too ? The idea came by chatting with Conjurous during a camp session, not only would this raise the pet part of dps but it would also increase the aggro our gargoyle generates. Let's call it maybe "Vicious Strike" ?
It would need to backstab from the front of the mob since we cannot reposition the RS gargoyle.

Sued...
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

RS pets have more than enough agro now, not sure why they would need more. They already hold agro over our pets / us / all others pets. Why would they need more agro?

Savil
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

If RS is following the same rules as our normal pets, he'll need to come with weapons and then he'll bs from any direction. His bs will need to be huge too since we see how awesome the water pet's bs is.

Despite that, I'll still say no. Any upgrade to damage from the RS should not be tied to aa's because then he'll be weaker out of the box to compensate. I'd say just boost him period and not tie up his dps in aa's.

On the other hand, an aa that would summon an RS pet every 10-15 minutes that does more damage, has much better hp's, and bs's from all directions would be a nice addition to our arsenal.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Makes sense indeed, especially regarding the need to have weapons (like water pet), for backstabbing from front.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Doesn't the RS already slash? Might already have some innate weapon...
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Oh, yeah, that's right. He does. Good point, Sven.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

If we get RS any type of new ability I would like it to be like the bard Song Noira's. It does like 4.3k dmg and also decreases aggro. Like it was said before, RS is an aggro hog especially with it taunting, if we try and add higher aggro to it it will die that much faster.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

The thing with an RS pet is I want it to grab aggro. I use it to off tank an add, or to take 2 or 3 mobs at once. So I want it on aggro. Anything to lessen it's aggro will defeat how I use it. There in lies the crux of the issue. Some want it for pure DPS, and as long as a player in in range the RS or any pet can never take aggro. So we are good on that point. Should they step out the pet can and may grab aggro, which can be a bad thing on a raid if they try to reposition a mob and mob won't leave the pet.

I guess there is no happy medium but my guess is that more mages will use an RS pet more often to off tank an add, or want it to grab aggro from their main pet to save their pet and give time for a merc to catch up on healing it, then have it generate lower aggro.

If you go back to the debate of should the RS pet enrage the out cry when it was removed was deafening. Almost all posts but from Koz was mages use the RS pet to off tank and we need it to enrage to live. If it never took aggro that wold not have been an issue. It was the infamous the RS pet is just a visible dot per Koz and should and never was meant to be an off tank. We should not ask for the RS pet to not generate any less aggro then it does now. It use for many is to off tank and grab aggro from your main pet if you solo.

If the pet came with weapons and can back stab from any direction I am all for it, but I don't want it's aggro reduced. I don't want it not to be able to take aggro from my normal pet, and I want it to generate aggro to off tank as it does now.

Up the damage on the RS pet I am all for it, make it backstab, I am all for it. Lessen it's aggro, no thanks.

Calebe
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

It would still offtank fine. The NPC hitting our rag pet wont jump off of the mob and jump onto our merc b/c it has some aggro reducing ability. RS still would taunt which would get it aggro, it would also only be able to proc Noira's type thing 4 times like the bard song.

You seem to forget that RS does taunt so any aggro reducing ability will be minimal because it will taunt to get the aggro back.

EDIT: I guess I should have been more clear for people unaware of what the song does. It makes the HITs do less aggro. IE: that 4.3k dmg proc wouldn't do aggro worth 4.3k dmg. I might have been confusing myself, but I already knew how it worked so it made sense to me. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams