Pet DPS increases

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
qibrme
Conjurer

Re: Pet DPS increases

Post by qibrme »

Cielli wrote:Simply raise their damage... The 81 pet hit for like 440, The 86 pet hits for what, 512? And during that time MoB hitpoints have quadrupled.
Even the pets hp's were doubled every 5 levels, but what happened to their damage? a 15% increase, sucks.
True but I was not concerned with normal trash clearing or group DPS since it has been established that Magicians+Pets are ok in that aspect of the game.

Maybe I should have been more specific by including the word "BURN" when i posted about increasing pet DPS, but /shrug, I thought that by talking about FBO, "BURN" DPS would be implied.

Sued...
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

More differentiation in the pets would be nice too.

IE: Reduce the air pets damage and hp's a bit, and Give him a heal proc on top of the stun , like 1000 hp group heal. a weak slow would be nice, too, maybe 10 or 20%

Give the Water pet more attack, and triple backstab or something, 20% more damage than it does now.

I'm pretty happy with the earth pet, if you make the air pet more group oriented and lessen its tanking slightly, earthy will be the distinguished tank-pet.

Give the fire pet a group spell damage benefit... ie: 10% to fire damage.

Then the pets would really represent classes...
ie: Pally
Rogue
Warrior
Wizard

Right now I use my earth pet to solo/tank ( tier 3 HoT)... and for grouping well, any of the other 3, theyre so similar, if theyre not going to be tanking it almost doesnt matter
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Cielli wrote: IE: Reduce the air pets damage and hp's a bit, and Give him a heal proc on top of the stun , like 1000 hp group heal. a weak slow would be nice, too, maybe 10 or 20%
if you make the air pet more group oriented and lessen its tanking slightly, earthy will be the distinguished tank-pet.
:shock: :shock: :shock: HUH? :o :o :o

Let me be the 1st to say that the word REDUCE is a 4 letter word.

I am sure other magicians will agree with me that I will not willingly give up one HP and certainly no damage on me or any of my pets.
I don't want to heal the group especialy not at the cost of giving up DPS or pet heals and tanking ability.

Suggestions on how to increase DPS and pet tanking are always welcome, but the "we have to give up XXX to get YYY" argument is so many years old and very tired IMO.

Sued...
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Cielli please do not now or ever ask for any pet to be reduced in hit points, or DPS. I can't believe anyone playing a mage would ask for anything so defeating and in exchange for a group heal? A heal? We are a pet class, a DPS class, not a healing class. If anything ask for more DPS because pets need more, they need better survivability for the next expansion. To give up 1 hit point, 1 ac is unthinkable for any reason. To add more, yes, to take away? Never.

This is not a zero sum game, and as Sued said the days of trading one thing to get another it long past. We do not say take away X to get Y or Z. We ask for Y and Z, and don't trade something to get them. Read the threads, mages are hurting in DPS. We need mroe, never less, and your suggesting to make an Air pet our mainstay pet for soloing and grouping be less effective tanking and doing less damage? No one playing a mage seriously would ever consider that.

Calebe
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Hm, Cielli, when did you start your mage and is he your main character ?

No offense, I do not wish to sound unnice, but the reactions of the posters after you are totally understandable, mages have reached enough the bottom nowadays (especially regarding raid dps) for being a bit upset when a new person steps by and tosses random "weaken A to strengthen B on pets" ideas on the boards...

...plus it sounds suspectingly close to the whole argument Amorphik launched on the live boards...
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Let me be blunt. The change you suggest for the air pet is blatant idiocy. If you think a change along the line you propose makes sense, then GTFO.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Going to be straight forward here: asking for nerfs to our pets to further specialize them is not smart.

I agree however that pets should be more specialized and I believe the increases to earth pets is a move in the right direction. Earth pet is now the sole tank so to speak, tanks every type of content better then air pet does, and crushes air pet in MC/SS. Granted this is partially because we got screwed on Air pet stuns, but even with stuns Earth tanks content better imho.

Water and Fire need a major DPs increase to keep them above Air and Earth in the group game. Air could use a minor boost and getting stuns back to 5 over the cap. Because right now if your in a group 9.9 times out of 10 your using Air pet because the DPs difference isn't that big over water/fire. But the tanking difference is quite different. I think that is a problem, there should be a distinct reason why each pet gets used in the group game: Air when you want marginal DPS and can tank if u have a bad tank. Earth only used to tank, DPS shuld be the lowest of the 4, shuld also have better tanking ability then air for the DPS loss. Water should be the highest DPS because it is dependent on mob position, also should have lower tanking then air/earth. Fire second best pet DPS, shuld be lower then water because it doesn't deal with DSes or movement, also should have caster like tanking ability.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

You guys ( piemasta not included ) speak like you only use that one pet ( air )... which kind of reinforces my point .

The air pet is not our best tank, earth is by far better. I'm not sure why anyone would react so violently to the thought of a change in the air pets tanking ability, its a completely smurf tank already. I'd just like it to have some more utility for when i DONT want a pet tank. A stun and heal would augment that player tank...
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Cielli don't even go there implying we don't know how to use different pets for different situations. Honestly you don't get it yet. Air pet is the best all around pet we get. It is suppose to tank well, DPS well. If you want dps use a water pet. You want the best tank use an earth pet. You want a pet to dps and off tank in emergency use an air pet. You want to solo then use earth or air pet. Options are good. Never limit us and your suggestion would.

A pet doing a 1000 pet aoe heal? A pet? Not happening it is not what a pet does, and on top of that a 1000 point aoe heal is nothing when you can buff out over 61,000 hit points. Use a heal potion or a merc. A pet for DPS and to tank is Air. Pure tank Earth. Pure DPS water. Want a toy or an aoe range attack use fire. Just don't imply people that have played a mage for years don't know how to use different pets.

Calebe
Last edited by Calebe on Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Okay guys, I had to look some character info up in order to understand how in the world any magician could continue defending a position that is clearly detrimental to the class.

Cielli Thesaw
Level 89
Mana 32,002
AA Total 752

Not sure if the mage is the main character or if another class has more EQ play time, but clearly with just a superficial look at these stats says Cielli might not be as experienced with the magician class as others on these boards.
Cielli, if it means anything to you, there are people posting here that have been playing a mage in EQ since the game started and they have been through a lot of ups and downs over the years which developed certain sensitivities to words posted on mage boards that can and have hurt us as a class in the past.
This is not meant to put you down in any way, because we have all been where you are, thinking we had a good handle on how to play a magician, pet abilities, etc.
However, I can tell you that a mage with 750 AA's is nowhere close to understanding the potential of mage pets or class abilities.
At your level -- not level 89 -- but AA and time played, there is a long way to go before your pet can do the things being discussed here.
Once upon a time the fire pet was the best tank -- for that content at that level WAY back at that time -- people would laugh at that today.
Also understand that those of us who do high end raiding have a viewpoint even more alien to yours, simply because our pets and abilities makes content that would take a group of non-raiders -- solo content for us.
It makes the Air pet completely different from the Air pet you have.

I am not trying to tell you that your opinion is not welcome, it is.
However, when you feel the need to post:
Cielli wrote: I'm not sure why anyone would react so violently to the thought of a change in the air pets tanking ability, its a completely smurf tank already.
you might want to ask your question another way or take a leap of faith that people who have more experience and really love the magician class have your best interest at heart when cautioning against certain actions.

My 2cp.
Sued…