Beastlords

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Danille

Beastlords

Post by Danille »

So Beastlords are the melee version of a mage correct?

Didnt they just get an FD aa (Playing Possum) with a 30 seconds recast and 20% chance to fail?
qibrme
Conjurer

Re: Beastlords

Post by qibrme »

Danille wrote:So Beastlords are the melee version of a mage correct?

Didnt they just get an FD aa (Playing Possum) with a 30 seconds recast and 20% chance to fail?
Sounds like justification for magicians to get a real AA fade with a 30 second recast and 20% chance to fail.
Not pet based so if pet dies or is suspended we have a survival mechanism.

Sued...
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Beastlords are a hybrid monk/shaman. Nothing to do with mages.
Aither
Elementalist

Post by Aither »

Malleria wrote:Beastlords are a hybrid monk/shaman. Nothing to do with mages.
Agree.
We were lucky to get Drape of Shadows. I do however still think attaching a actual invis to the ability would be icing on the cake.
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

An invis component would be nice, but as you can code a hot key to make the pet hold, then cast drape and then finally invis you all on a single key press it is already being done.

But if they want to make it all in one it would need to do all 4 steps.

1: Put the pet on hold

2: drop aggro on pet

3: drop aggro on mage

4: invis mage

As said this can already be done coding a hot key, but if they want to change it to do it all I am fine with it. If they want to make it as Drape 2, it better be dirt cheap as in 1 aa or at most 3, because we can already do this.

Calebe
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Malleria wrote:Beastlords are a hybrid monk/shaman. Nothing to do with mages.
Does not really matter what hybrid the BsT are IMO.
The justification for magicians getting an AA fade that is not reliant on pets is the fact that now beast lords are yet another class that has been given the ability to drop agro. (What justification do Berserkers have for being able to fade – but magic users = Magicians can’t?)
Point is the FD ability belongs to the PC, not his pet. So whenever a BsT needs to loose agro, the player can choose FD as an escape mechanism the same way monks, necromancers and SK’s do.
The ability is balanced around a 20% chance to fail, so while not perfect, the player knows that the majority of the time the ability will work and is therefore worth using. Whether or not the ability is a useful pulling tool is a secondary benefit in my opinion.

I would suggest magicians get the Fade effect from Drape of Shadows as an AA with a long enough recast timer – can even be an hour or two for us seeing as how the BsT get 30 second reuse on FD – to ensure that it is primarily an escape tool for magicians and due to the long reuse timer we have to be selective on when to use it.

The old post Drape of Shadows by Eanelder » Wed Apr 14, 2010
http://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewt ... =23&t=2013
list most of the limitations of Drape and the discussion in that thread shows the resourcefulness of players in finding ways to maximize the benefits of the ability.
My point is that all other casters and now hybrids have escape mechanisms that do not have as many restrictions as we do – Pet must be out and alive – cant be too far away – cant be too close or re-agro – can’t have swarm pets up or re-agro – must be standing still for approx 3 seconds to cast Drape then invis – etc, etc. – while others FD, succor, fade, etc.
We have been given escape AA’s in the past but they are beyond useless and end up placing you deeper in the zone in the middle of 999 mobs so you can be eaten – Those AA’s are broken IMO if they rarely save the caster. – If they gave us an 80% chance to succor to the ZL, the ability might have some use.
This is why I believe we are justified in petitioning for an AA fade that saves the magician and is not dependent on pets.

My 2cp.
Sued…
Last edited by qibrme on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Bst getting an FD, though, fits with their prototype from the monk side of things. So it makes sense for them to have "something" and using them as an argument for improving our Drape just doesn't hold water because the same justifications don't exist.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

svenalo wrote:Bst getting an FD, though, fits with their prototype from the monk side of things. So it makes sense for them to have "something" and using them as an argument for improving our Drape just doesn't hold water because the same justifications don't exist.
Okay then forget the Beast Lord argument, although my point is not that they got FD specifically, my point is that they got an escape ability that is independent of their pet and i believe it is time Magicians had "something" that does not have the pet limitations.

Now is there a valid argument for Magicians to have an escape ability that is not dependant on pets?

I think there is and the Drape improvement is just a suggestion.

I am open to anything constructive that would allow us to survive after pet death as CoN is limited as well.

Sued...
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

You are not looking at the reason we were given drape. Drape was given to us as a way to drop aggro fast, not to hide from the mob or escape combat. Think of a raid or group situation where you end up top aggro and need to drop that fast: hit drape. This explains all the restrictions. Eli even said himself that was the intended reason for giving us Drape.

The fact we use it in ways that he did not intend is not justification for making changes. Though, I do agree having to have a pet up or close by is a bit too restrictive and should be removed.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Voragath wrote:Though, I do agree having to have a pet up or close by is a bit too restrictive and should be removed.
This is my point exactly.

Remove the pet restrictions and we are fine.

Sued...