Returning Player: Mage vs Necro?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
thomasmgp
Trial Member

Returning Player: Mage vs Necro?

Post by thomasmgp »

I plan on rerolling a new character so I can relearn the game and also have the enjoyment from playing from the beginning all over again. Im kinda leaning towards either a Mage of Necro. I heard Necro isnt really as AA dependent as Hybrids and Tanks which is nice. Id like to actually feel powerful without grinding out 5000 AAs. But since I wont be boxing a Mage also seems like a great choice because you are your basically your own group. Pet tanks, I do damage, and then play pet cleric if I need to. Also both seem very gear independent as well. Just wondering what are the pros and cons of those classes related to leveling stuff like Speed, Efficiency, and least headaches caused. I have really enjoyed playing my Warlock in WoW over the last 6 years if that matters.

Im really lost as to progression and stuff but heard from quite a few people on official forums that doing the Hero's Journey achievements is a great way to level, get geared, and also get used to the controls again. I have no idea how far that will take me but Im sure theres some FAQs around I can follow as to higher level stuff. Also is there a best time to stop and churn out some AAs? Finally after I get to like 70, which is the highest I have been, where do I go from there?

As to server Im probably going to stick to Firiona Vie. It seems a lot better than when I quit. Server actually feels alive and very active compared to dead and "GL ever getting a group". If anyone plays on FV and can offer me some in game help with stuff like upgrading my merc, which I have no clue how to do, that would be great.
cicely
Magician

Re: Returning Player: Mage vs Necro?

Post by cicely »

Both classes are capable and competent in the solo game. Necromancers tend to solo through kiting and damage over time spells, whereas magicians solo through pet tanking and direct damage spells. Necromancers have more "get out of jail free" cards if the situation is rough, whereas magicians tend to run away or zone at low to mid levels. Magicians tend to be a bit more group friendly, although that is not to say a necromancer is useless in groups

Both classes have a lot of jealousy/class envy from many other classes due to power. On raids, magicians tend to be higher DPS on short bursts, whereas necromancers tend to be better on long parses. However that gap both ways seems to have been somewhat reduced in size. Myself and our guild's to necromancer are consistently in the top 5 on most events.
Kraymerica
Magician

Post by Kraymerica »

I replied to you as well on the Necro board but didn't see you were going to play on FV. Feel free to look me up if you need to help.

I should be on one of these toons:
Locutus
Kraymerica
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

thomasmgp wrote:I plan on rerolling a new character so I can relearn the game and also have the enjoyment from playing from the beginning all over again. Im kinda leaning towards either a Mage of Necro. I heard Necro isnt really as AA dependent as Hybrids and Tanks which is nice. Id like to actually feel powerful without grinding out 5000 AAs. But since I wont be boxing a Mage also seems like a great choice because you are your basically your own group. Pet tanks, I do damage, and then play pet cleric if I need to. Also both seem very gear independent as well. Just wondering what are the pros and cons of those classes related to leveling stuff like Speed, Efficiency, and least headaches caused. I have really enjoyed playing my Warlock in WoW over the last 6 years if that matters.
A mage is always a good choice, but keep in mind that pets aren't innately powerful as you think they are. You will need a good pet focus and still grind out a few thousand AA's invested into pet to get the full potential out of it.
In current content you can't play tank, dps and healer. Most often you are either healing or doing dps, not both; however if you plan on using a merc to heal then you're all good.
thomasmgp
Trial Member

Post by thomasmgp »

Sillaen wrote: A mage is always a good choice, but keep in mind that pets aren't innately powerful as you think they are. You will need a good pet focus and still grind out a few thousand AA's invested into pet to get the full potential out of it.
In current content you can't play tank, dps and healer. Most often you are either healing or doing dps, not both; however if you plan on using a merc to heal then you're all good.
finding a good pet focus shouldnt be hard playing on FV. I went through the list of pet focuses here and most are only a few 1000 plat.