Did they break pet twinking?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
ranakor

Did they break pet twinking?

Post by ranakor »

Was doing some pet dps twinking & needed to do some low lv testing as part of that, made a lv 2 pet & nothing i gave him had any effect
- full set of fright level plate / jewelry = still exact same hp as unequiped
- Some gear from bazaar: nothing either
- defiant 2H weapon, he definately equiped it (could see him wielding it) but did NOT start hitting harder (was a 59dmg weap, he was still hitting for 12) & did not use it's stat (still had the same hp!)
Did they break pets when implementing merc gear & do pets get affected by recommanded level now? Did the same test giving a weap with no recommanded level & pet started hitting like a truck again!
If so this sucks, really hope it's a temporary bug!
Mintalee
Elementalist

Re: Did they break pet twinking?

Post by Mintalee »

Your pet may be too low a level to use those items.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Pets won't equip an item that has a required level higher than the pet. It should be equipping gear that does NOT have a req'd level.

Frightforged has a req'd level just for this twinking reason. Give it some HoT level armor and it will be fine. Weapons and Jewelry are far more restrictive.
cicely
Magician

Post by cicely »

Wait just to clarify...

You summoned a lvl 2 pet, and wanted to give it lvl 90-100 or whatever gear? Level two pet? And you are asking why your lvl 2 pet cannot use armor made for a lvl 100 character?

Probably the same reason a lvl 2 player cannot use a lvl 100 weapon. Imagine if you could though LOL
ranakor

Post by ranakor »

No i'm not asking "why it can't" i'm asking "why it can't anymore", it's well known pets never respected a lot of things (among which required / recommanded level) & it seems to have changed, and i DID have a lv 2 pet with >1KHP unbuffed a few weeks back from similar gear. The reason i summoned a lv 2 was to test if it broke, & it seems it did (either break, or get stealth nerfed).

From samanna : http://samanna.net/eq.general/pets.shtml
Pets ignore required and recommended levels on *gear*, but not on *procs*.

From alla threads : http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/clas ... 6135117321
pets ignore required level on items, item from number 2 was 65 req, pet was 53 and my toon was 55

from necrotalk : http://www.necrotalk.com/archive/index.php/t-844.html
Rule #5: All pets ignore the required / recommended level to equip and use an item, but...

And i could find dozens more, i didn't point it here because i thought it would be general knowledge here on this forum, so no, my question isn't "how i'm surprised a lv 2 pet doesn't take lv 100 items", my question is "i know it did, did it break? did it get stealth nerfed? what hapenned?"
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

None of those posts point to any parse that proves pets ignored required levels.

I've never heard a dev state that pets ever ignored the required level. The reason the new pet armor have required levels is intentional so that some pets can't use them.

I have never seen a pet ignore required levels. It would seem quite silly to let pets ignore required levels on gear. If ever they did, it's possible that it was not an issue as the power gain was smaller then; now, with mudflation, some gear is just way too powerful to let pets of low level to have.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

I'll second what Voragath stated. Way way way back when Seeds of Destruction was current I started doing testing and even then pets would ignore recommended level on gear but never required levels. Recently somebody made a post stating that it's the pet owner's level that matters on gear for pets and not the actual level of the pet. I tested that claim on both the Bertox server as well as the test server; that claim was wrong.

If you had a level 2 pet with over 1k HP unbuffed it was either:
1. a bug (that has since been fixed)
2. it wasn't a level 2 pet
3. you managed to find the best gear in game for pet twinking that has no required level
4. you're talking out your butt.

Some things to keep in mind about static websites like those you linked; the game changes and many of those pages are never updated. Source of information is also key; ie don't believe everything you read on the internet. I could claim I have a Ferrari Testarossa; while true it would also be very misleading (simply because my Ferrari is a 1/12 scale model that sits on my headboard). Even message boards with dynamic content (like the Alla's and necrotalk boards) have to be taken with a grain of salt. Look at the dates on those posts you linked.....six and nine years old!

Here's a thread concerning all this that's more recent than the threads you linked: http://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7
ranakor

Post by ranakor »

Tweelis wrote:I'll second what Voragath stated. Way way way back when Seeds of Destruction was current I started doing testing and even then pets would ignore recommended level on gear but never required levels. Recently somebody made a post stating that it's the pet owner's level that matters on gear for pets and not the actual level of the pet. I tested that claim on both the Bertox server as well as the test server; that claim was wrong.

If you had a level 2 pet with over 1k HP unbuffed it was either:
1. a bug (that has since been fixed)
2. it wasn't a level 2 pet
3. you managed to find the best gear in game for pet twinking that has no required level
4. you're talking out your butt.

Some things to keep in mind about static websites like those you linked; the game changes and many of those pages are never updated. Source of information is also key; ie don't believe everything you read on the internet. I could claim I have a Ferrari Testarossa; while true it would also be very misleading (simply because my Ferrari is a 1/12 scale model that sits on my headboard). Even message boards with dynamic content (like the Alla's and necrotalk boards) have to be taken with a grain of salt. Look at the dates on those posts you linked.....six and nine years old!

Here's a thread concerning all this that's more recent than the threads you linked: http://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7
1) could be, would be surprising it was fixed just there
2) when i tested, i was < lv 5, so yea could've been a lv 3 or 4 pet, but that's about it :)
3) no i just bought regular pet toys at that time, so it was high level summoned stuff
4) i'm not.

The thread you mentioned didn't pop up in my search but it's not surprising as glancing over the first few post pet twinking isn't really the topic, also those links i just gave to explain why it felt reasonable to think so but information about pet twinking is literally all over the internet. Now i'm recently back (a month or so) from a very long break (my last serious playing was in PoP era) but my low lv testing was literally a couple weeks ago & i did have such a pet out of summoned crap that was destroying packs of yellows taking them 4 at a time without it's hp moving (or barely when it did) & it was unbuffed (well it could have been lv 4 merc buffed, but i doubt lv 4 cleric buffs are responsible for this!)
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

It is possible that someone ninja equipped your pet. Also, what gear did you give it, specifically? You can give that pet the gear from HoT and it will act like that. I sometimes play baby alts and I will give lowbies the HoT armor and they are god mode.

The HoT armor is Spectral Plate, btw. It does not have any level requirements on it.
ranakor

Post by ranakor »

Voragath wrote:It is possible that someone ninja equipped your pet. Also, what gear did you give it, specifically. You can give that pet the gear from HoT and it will act like that. I sometimes play baby alts and I will give lowbies the HoT armor and they are god mode.
No one ninja equiped anything, i was all alone in luclin.

It was mage summoned gear but i can't remember the name, wasn't the highest level but fairly high, will try & find it again