Beam's hits being eaten/ working as a community

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Enkel
Elementalist

Beam's hits being eaten/ working as a community

Post by Enkel »

So, while parsing the tank mitigation and other things, I have taken the time to parse beam extensively. It isn't hard, and only requires basic math, but it did take a little time to test (looking through weeks of raid logs and testing again in an isolated environment). Before posting the results, which are on the SoE forums, I would like to address what Falos/Falore spoke about, a vocal community/ organized community. We have Voragath who does his best to defend mages when it's needed, and we have other CRT's that will, but as a community we need to be more organized and work together. I won't pretend to know how many people pm the devs with parses, but I know of 5 people that currently do this (Piemastaj, Tuli, Vora, Falos, myself). If we could work together as a community, and get people sending in more results (beams, pet mitigation), we might be able to get the devs attention without creating a toxic thread that spirals away. I do believe that our beams, I'm not sure how much coding is needed to fix it (not familiar with EQ code), is another thing we should urge the devs to look into. But, now for the results:

Attempt 1-5: 1 wizard, 1 familiar, 1 mage pet, 15 test dummies. Mage stands, facing all them. The wizard, familiar, and mage pet stand between the mage and the 15 dummies. I cast beam, it hits 10 targets. I do this 5 more times, each time it hits 10 targets.

Attempt 6-10: I move wizard away, bring in 20 pets. Cast beam. It hits 12 targets. Repeat 4 more times.

Attempt 11-15: 1 wizard and their familiar. Cast beam, it hits 10 targets. Do this 4 more times and find same result.

Attempt 16-20: Move wizard behind mage, only familiar stands between the mage and the 15 test dummies. Cast beam, it hits 10 targets. Do this 4 more times and find same result.

Attempt 21-25: Move wizard between mage and 15 dummies, scrap the familiar. Cast beam, hits 12 targets. Do this 4 more times and find the same result.

Attempt 26-30: Bring in 14 familiars, put them between mage and 15 dummies. Cast beam, hits 0 targets. Do this 4 more times and find the same result.

I had 0 twincasts fire during this test. Stating this to remove a viable that might skew targets hit on certain tests. It didn't happen, so not a problem.

Not only do corpses eat our beams, but famililars (which eat two hits) as well. This makes for beams being useless on raids, and much weaker in group content during certain situations. If anyone would like to voice their opinion (currently it's just a few saying it shouldn't be fixed), feel free to in the thread: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/inde ... 121/page-3.

The main reason this should be fixed is because IT'S A BUG, and a great dps, aoe, asset to us.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Beam's hits being eaten/ working as a community

Post by Voragath »

Wonderful research Enkel! That is definitely enlightening because it shows it to be likely a worse bug than people initially thought.