Pet Changes (Current and Future)

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Sancus
Conjurer

Re: Pet Changes (Current and Future)

Post by Sancus »

Felinya wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up on here already but you're comparing a pet (EM 20) to a warrior running discs? I didn't see the warriors stats but I can tell you there is a major disparity between raid geared and group geared warriors, especially running discs. Granted EM 20 is raid level too, I think.

Don't shoot me for asking this but I'm just curious how this is a fair comparison. Shouldn't a fair comparison be auto attacking on a pet and the warrior auto attacking the same model mob? Obviously no Fortify Companion on either.

Trust me I don't want the pet nerfed either because it affects my play style drastically.
It's really hard to get a legitimate comparison between the two, because at the moment they work differently. Pets have raw mitigation beyond player levels, and avoidance far below player levels. Pre-nerf the incoming DPS was more or less equal when comparing an auto attack pet to an auto attack tank. However, pets saw much more steady incoming damage (no DI 18, 19, or 20s) than an undisced tank.

Then comes to adding discs. First off, warriors generally have stronger abilities then pets. An AFK pet beating an AFK warrior doesn't translate into an actively played pet tanking better than an actively played warrior. Furthermore, player abilities and pet abilities work in fundamentally different ways. % mitigation abilities (warrior defensive) and NTTB scale when adding mobs. On the flip side, pet activated abilities for the most part (yes, there are exceptions) do not scale. Using pet runes may take incoming DPS on one mob from 7K to 4K (example numbers), but each additional mob will do 7K, which causes a jump from 4K incoming DPS to 11K. Warriors might take 4K on the same single mob, but on the second, third, fourth, etc mobs they still take 4K per mob. With two mobs a warrior might take 8K vs a pet's 11K, then 12K vs 19K, etc. I believe Danille has parses of the exact numbers, but those are to illustrate the problem with comparing the abilities in certain situations.

So when it comes down to it, it's rather hard to compare the two. There are some ways to make pets seem powerful (try using runes on a slowed single mob), and weaker (fighting 2+ mobs). I'm not sure any of us really know a "fair" way to compare, so we just do the best we can and present multiple scenarios :?