Do petwalls and mage boxers also exist on regular servers ?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Do petwalls and mage boxers also exist on regular servers ?

Post by Adonhiram »

Hi fellow mages,

As you know, the new TLP servers are the realm of multiboxers who farm content and sell loot for kronos, using mainly mage armies allowing to petwall even difficult raidmobs or high desired nameds (actually, with Kunark and epics released on Lockjaw, the drama is about epic droppers and more specifically Phinny and Magi P'tasa). The petwall nerf DBG patched didn't really change that fact.

I quitted EQ before the introduction of kronos which obviously are the main reason for that evolution. So I didn't see what happened on regular servers post HoT era, do they have the same issue ? Are there everywhere mage boxer armies who farm content to sell loot for kronos and who are even able to beat raidcontent and sell loot rights, just by petwalling ?

I know nothing about raidcontent past HoT era, but I can't imagine how three dozen mage pets could beat the raidtargets I have fought as I was on AB and how a single person controlling 30+ characters could manage the raid scripts. Maybe raids three/four expansions behind ?

I am curious to know how things evolve regarding that topic on regular servers.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: Do petwalls and mage boxers also exist on regular servers ?

Post by Tweelis »

While there are some boxers/groups with a few magicians the pet wall armies like you're reading about on the progression servers don't really exist elsewhere. I currently play on Bertoxx/Saryrn but also have toons on Bristlebane.

Raiding past House of Thule is alive and well. While I imagine some guilds would try and use a pet wall to beat content it certainly is a minority. Current raid scripts would make it near impossible for a guild to successfully use pet armies to overcome targets.

Krono's are for sale on regular servers and some people do farm items. However there is simply so much content on live servers that it would be impossible for any sort of serverwide monopoly to exist on all higher end items. Instances are all over the place and most semi-current gear can be purchased with mission currency like marks of valor or pieces of eight.
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Post by deadman1204 »

I remember back in the day, all the epic targets were ALWAYS down.

It was always a rat race to get to any target before some other group got there.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Thanks for information, happy to learn that the live servers are mostly as they were how I knew them :-)
ionin
Trial Member

Post by ionin »

Between PoP and Omens of War, Fennin Ro had the Fennin Ro Mage team, put together by a few outstanding mages in a passworded by open channel.

Mages weren't in high demand back then (for most groups or guilds) and when the Epic 2.0's came out we found out we could chain pet most of the fights down, especially the difficult (for average guilds) Earth elemental on Luclin.

The mages I remember: Karoro, Wreak, Eameian, Aillean, Macery, Mendix, Aquamini, Acerbis, Shadowelement, Iradon, Sodathloth, Lilcrowe, Raylene, Bonial/Boniel and many more who's names have faded from my memory with time.

Between doing Tak Ldon's with our elemental mez and charm, getting people their 1.0, 1.5 and even 2.0 epics, and generally just kicking ass I can honestly say it's some of the most fond memories I have of Everquest. Being able to leave the tanks, healers, pullers, slows, and mezers behind and do some fantastic and difficult content was a great achievement back then.

If anyone is interested in reviving the old Mage team and doing some chain petting, let me know!
Minstrel
Trial Member

Post by Minstrel »

ionin wrote: Between doing Tak Ldon's with our elemental mez and charm, getting people their 1.0, 1.5 and even 2.0 epics, and generally just kicking ass I can honestly say it's some of the most fond memories I have of Everquest. Being able to leave the tanks, healers, pullers, slows, and mezers behind and do some fantastic and difficult content was a great achievement back then.

If anyone is interested in reviving the old Mage team and doing some chain petting, let me know!
We did something similar on torvonnilous, although lesser in scope. In the LDoN days, we would do pickup groups of only pet classes. It was amazing how much resistance people had to the concept. You'd get "do you have a cleric?" as the first response from a LFG-er about half the time, and most of the ones who asked wouldn't even join up. We absolutely ravaged LDoNs, just target nearest, pet attack, nuke. Crazy pulls with way too many mobs just to make things fun. Definitely my fondest EQ memories as well.

I wish I had time these days to even group much, but with wife and 14 month old, I mostly just get to sneak in a little molo EQ at work, and maybe the rare night for an hour or two. I'd love to resurrect the pet zerg teams, although with actual live players and not just boxing it all myself.