Crusty Mage contemplating resurrection

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Crusty Mage contemplating resurrection

Post by Jaytee »

Hello there to the new Mage Tower board, seems the old one has passed on into void. Some of the older folks may know me, others probably not. I played about 5 years from early 2000 - early 2005. I was in college had to much time on my hands and was living solo for the first time when I picked up EQ from some people at work who were constantly talking about it. Good times going and chatting with the guys at work about the Crushbone experience last night or my first teleport. I still remember that moment...grouped up with a WE druid who I had been leveling with in Crushbone and Lfay. He asked if I wanted to see the new continent and I was a bit apprehensive...I was only in the teens if I recall. So group up and he casts port - I had all the effects on max - and I pop into the druid circle in the commonlands.

Upon zoning in the sky was overcast and dreary and it was raining all over my robe and, then I hear a giant crack of thunder and a raor out of nowhere. Thinking I was in "The Great Outdoors" I looked to the source of the roar and what do I see? A MASSIVE bear barreling towards me from the darkness. I promptly cast gate as quick as I could but of course when you need it it fizzled. I kept casting and finally got it off about the time I see the bear get slain in one blow by a armor clad fellow with a burning sword. Next thing I knew I was back at Felwithe gate looking out into the Faydark forest. My adventures had begun with a whimper but I would see many more things before the end.

Anyway I still have a fondness for the game even though it has been literally years since I played. I was considering playing on a casual level - has EQ become more casual friendly over the years? During "The Vision" years it was decidedly not casual friendly. Of course in those days I had massive amounts of time to play, now with work and being married I do not have that kind of time. Couple hours a night and 1 day a weekend is about my speed. Is there a community there that will accept people with those restrictions?

On a more concrete issue, currently I am running Windows 7 x64 with a GTX 295 will EQ even run on that?

Regards,

Jaytee
Formerly with Fires of Heaven
Daiou
Conjurer

Re: Crusty Mage contemplating resurrection

Post by Daiou »

Welcome Back Jaytee!

I'm a casual player, about 2.5 hours a night and a bit more on the weekend. The game is MUCH more casual friendly then it was.

Finding a good guild that fits you is a hit or miss ordeal but once you find one your golden. As for your hardware i run on less than that so i wouldn't worry about it :P
Jaytee
Conjurer

Post by Jaytee »

Well I installed one of the Titanium editions I had in the back of my software cabinet...it's patching...19 hours to go :shock:

Also could someone tell me what server Veeshan got merged into?
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Jaytee -

Young man. Listen carefully.

You of all people know what an addictive, keep-coming-back, Hole that EQ is. I've seen you leave and come back. Remember, I've been playing since 1999, and I of all people recognize the traits and characteristics of people who can't or won't shake it off. I sometimes joke about there being plenty of room at the Hotel EQfornia. And you are proving that you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. I see this a lot.

I'm married with children. And I know that is a huge responsibility and during those first years that Time Spent with your Family, even if you don't have children, is the most important gift and responsibility. Quality VS Quantity? BS. it is both. You do not want to later wax nostalgic about toons in this game, but about the times - right now - that you are having with your family. It may not be obvious now, but it will be later. Please trust me on that.

EQ for you is not a mere hobby. I have watched you. I know how entrenched you get in every aspect of the game,the prolific posts you do, the prolific playing you do. I know you from years of being in-country, as those forums were part of that, and Fires of Heaven dominance was on a high altitude mesa. Those giddy days of EQ are long gone, man.

EQ Right now? Mages are very good. The game, though is slowly (but surely) faltering and dying, yet there are still enough ka-chings and gimmicks to keep you plugged in. That game you remember does not exist anymore or anywhere but in your memory.

You are not a casual player and cannot play a casual style. Not a hobby. Not for you.

You are a nice guy. A smart guy. You are remembering a dopamine induced euphoria. EQ was good at setting the hook. Still is if you are an addict or have the underpinning and machinery of nostalgia and memory of those glory days. All that stuff you remember is gone, and has been replaced by a clacking Zombie Marionette replica. It looks real. But it has no heart.

There is absolutely no reason for you to come back. These are Golden Times for your life and marriage. There is no question that EQ can have a bad effect in the overall context of you and your wife.

None of my business? I'm wrong you know what you are doing? I know.

One last view. When you went out you were Big Man on Campus. The last time you came back and lasted a bit, told some stories, started organizing things - you can't help yourself - then disappeared again. Here you are again. Don't be the guy coming back to re-live the winning touchdown of his High School Football career. You were a young kid playing a game before. You are a man now. And a good guy.

You have already done this stuff. Don't make the mistake (I made) that I see many others lament as well.

Stick with your wife. Find MORE things to do together. Let that be your hobby.

It is over.

Stay Away.

Baramos Brinstar
850 Days Played - Real days, not Bazaar Statue
Guild Leader for 5 years. 13,000 posts administering that Guild on "my" time not in EQ.
Countless Mage Board posts. Countless EQforums Posts.
Member of "Uber" guilds for 6 Years Chasing the Dragon
Massive Time-suck expert.
Addict

Remember, it takes one to know one.

Bara
Danille

Post by Danille »

Hi Jaytee,

Welcome back. Your gonna love EQ in 2009. The new expansion UNDERFOOT is launching in December and if you buy it you will have all 16 expansions in one.

The nice thing about the game now is that it has something for everyone.

If you want to come back part time and not do any raiding/grouping, you will be able to gear up with gear into the 600's (mana/hp) now and with underfoot probably into the 700's. There are plenty of things you can do, hire a cleric merc, do solo tasks etc. EQ is not 1/2 as addictive for the casual player as it used to be, because you really don't have to raid if you don't want to.

If you just want to group and not raid there are a whole bunch of group missions and events that you can participate in, letting you progress to unlock every single zone. The gear you can achieve from grouping tops out in the 900's with the new groupable aug rewards added in.

If you want to come back and be a serious raider, it is an amazing time to return. Mage gear tops out in the mid 1400's. The developers keep pushing the curve on exiciting events and novel ways to keep the veteran players challenged.

It is very nice to see you on the forums again.

PS. Your system works fine with EQ. I am running the same cards and its overkill. EQ runs off RAM and not GRAM so as long as you have over 2GB of ram it is fine.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Post by Jaytee »

Baramos,

That was a heck of a post - lucid, well spoken and well thought out. I have to say I appreciate the effort you put into that and thank you for it. I also understand where you are coming from. However, I have played games my whole life and to not play is not me. My wife is ok with my gaming a reasonable amount, I was at the height of my EQ playing while we were dating. My wife and I have found activities we do together and I would not sacrifice those times for the game. I've done a good bit since I left EQ,including my first 5K this year! I finished in 41:38 which isn't bad for a former lard arse. We have been to Europe and Alaska in the last two years and I've learned I have to keep things balanced but my hobby has always been gaming.

I'll look forward to an interesting dialog with you in the future.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Veeshan was merged with Luclin
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Jaytee wrote:Baramos,

That was a heck of a post - lucid, well spoken and well thought out.

Well, I am an Erudite. chuckle

I have to say I appreciate the effort you put into that and thank you for it. I also understand where you are coming from. However, I have played games my whole life and to not play is not me. My wife is ok with my gaming a reasonable amount, I was at the height of my EQ playing while we were dating. My wife and I have found activities we do together and I would not sacrifice those times for the game. I've done a good bit since I left EQ,including my first 5K this year! I finished in 41:38 which isn't bad for a former lard arse. We have been to Europe and Alaska in the last two years and I've learned I have to keep things balanced but my hobby has always been gaming.

I'll look forward to an interesting dialog with you in the future.
Well, too bad you got rid of your earring. Grumble. It is still an amazing item.

Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends.

Bara
Jaytee
Conjurer

Post by Jaytee »

As far as I know I still have it...though when I looked on the eqplayers my bank was empty...not sure if thats because I've been inactive for over 3 years or because soemone wiped me out! Will know in about 10 hours when the patch finishes :roll:
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Oh, thought you sold that guy. I remember your posts saying you wanted to. Surprised no one snagged it.

Bara