Mage basics

Help rebuild the Library of Knowledge for Magicians.
mixablekat_3662

Re: Mage basics

Post by mixablekat_3662 »

i understand that but what i am saying how does one get rid of the secondary forte i was like in old school to be conjur so if i go back to do evoc primary what and how for secondary
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Go do the quest. All your speciailizations will be set to 50. Once your specs are all 50 stand there (do NOT cast gate) and cast burst of flame on your pet over and over and over. Once evocation is where you want it then stand there and cast summon food and summon water over and over until your conjuration is up to where you want it to be. After those things are done then cast whatever you want to cast.

Secondary forte is an aa, you can't get rid of it. It simply allows you to have a higher specialization in a second area than you normally would be able to have.
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

The global recast time was reduced from 2.5 seconds down to 1.5 seconds, making several old DPS clickies into endurance-fight only clickies, as they will decrease your DPS during burns due to their now excessive cast time. I'd love to see the cast time on a few potential DPS clickies reduced to 1 second: Dagger of Evil Summons, Dog Whistle, etc... but that's not going to happen.

Also note that Rathe's Strength will only affect pets/swarm pets of people with Pet Affinity. Bards need this AA!

Also, the melee round reset "feature" when casting a spell was removed, so leaving casting on for water pets should be nothing but beneficial in terms of DPS, since the pet should no longer miss attack rounds when using the DD.
mixablekat_3662

understand that but if i change my main being evocation and atm my secondary forte u cant have primary as evoc and secondary forte evoc
can u
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

mixablekat_3662 wrote:understand that but if i change my main being evocation and atm my secondary forte u cant have primary as evoc and secondary forte evoc
can u
You can't have both being the same spec. Once the 1st one goes past 175, assuming you have no % mods, then it becomes your primary. The next one to go past 125 becomes your secondary. The others will max out at 125.

Not to turn this into a conj vs evoc spec, but I'm still conj spec based and the difference in a raid weave for me is 16 mana per weave round. At my focus effects and spells, even casting blaze/jolt/bolt/RmS = +16 mana per weave round conj spec'd.

Now if I only wait for GoM procs to cast RmS, then the loss is huge. With just the 3 evoc spells, I lose 115 mana each round going conj spec, but then your dps goes down by not having RmS there all the time.

Even end game raiders with the best focus and best spells still lose mana (about 21 per weave round) in a true spell weave if evoc spec'd.

So:
If you weave for maximum dps -- conj > evoc
If you partially weave, with only RmS on gom procs -- evoc > conj

Pick your poison.
Msha
Magician

Post by Msha »

Personally I love my conj spec :P sorry to keep it at the evoc vs conj discussion.

I raid perhaps 10% of the time I play, and outside of raid I by far gain much more from conj speccing than I would from evoc.

All those times where I cast Rx outside of GxM would deplete me much from mana tbh.

Another thing about not using Rx when doing twincast, if a GxM procs during twincast, a Rx pet will give far more DPS than any 2 nukes (unless you get 2 x 32k on summoned at once, but comeon). So I disagree on never using Rx on twincast.

Otherwise nice writeup in general, good to base of on and work towrads what works best for you.
Msha Flamethrower
85 Magician
Wind of Tranquility
Antonius Bayle Server
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

mixablekat_3662 wrote:understand that but if i change my main being evocation and atm my secondary forte u cant have primary as evoc and secondary forte evoc can u
No, you pick Evoc with Conj as secondary (or Conj w/evoc as secondary). You can't have evoc be primary and secondary.

If you want to change, here is the quest - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure after you do your quest, you only cast evoc spells until you hit 176, then only cast conjuration until 126. Now your primary/secondary will be set properly and you can skill everything up however you want.
mixablekat_3662

i understand that but i had already used my seconde forte aa to make it evoc so i cant change that aa
omne

Post by omne »

When you do the quest it resets all specializations to 50. The secondary forte aa is reset by this also. So your primary forte will be the one that hits 176 first and your secondary forte will be the one of the remaining specializations to hit 126. It doesn't matter what your primary or secondary were before, they are both reset.
mixablekat_3662

i must be not getting it secondary forte is an aa i purchased so how doe sthat change ?