boxing 2 mages

Help rebuild the Library of Knowledge for Magicians.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Re: boxing 2 mages

Post by Merlaina »

pandax wrote:What? You don't even need to worry about sending in the air pet in a few seconds before the water pet.

The air pet's stun alone will hold agro over the water pet just fine.
I know when I group with another mage in my guild I use air and he uses water, and his pet pulls aggro off mine a decent bit. We're the same level and I'm only 100 AA behind him. I don't think my pet AAs are maxed, but they're very very close to it (maybe missing 1 rank of flurry and crit each), and I have a better pet focus than he does. So no, air stuns holding aggro over water pet is definitely not a given.
blackmist03
Magician

Post by blackmist03 »

Really though, the best exp for a mage-mage combo is to go against mobs which you need zero healers for. At level 61 with two air pets, you are more than capable of duoing in BOT with no healer. At level 66, you are more than capable of doing a dozen other zones with no healer! At 71, you can duo anything from TBS and earlier with no healers.
Wow, are mages really THAT powerful? I have always heard that Necros and MAges are a toss up for the most powerful soloers in the game... from what I am hearing though, Mages seem to be almost un godly LoL. 2 Mages seem almost to good to be true. So, from what I am gathering, at 50+, the Fire pet is a caster, the water pet is a rogue, the air pet is pretty decent dps and can stun, and the earth pet of course, is the root pet...but which pet has the most hitpoints and is the most durable?
Some do it for glory, some do it for themselves, but the true heroes, they do it for those who cannot or simply will not.
Zatpus
Elementalist

Post by Zatpus »

Earthpet has the most HP and best mitigation. If you expect multiple mobs or a mob which can't be stunned, he's the best tank.
If you expect single mobs which can be stunned, most prefer the aripet I guess.
blackmist03
Magician

Post by blackmist03 »

you guess? lol.... not sounding very sure there buddy lol. Thank you for answering the question about the pets, now i know which ones can tank:)
Some do it for glory, some do it for themselves, but the true heroes, they do it for those who cannot or simply will not.
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

ehh earth is good tank but most upper mages use air pet. great tank. good hps,dodges more attacks and stuns regular mobs. even against multiple mobs and named air pet is great to use.
blackmist03
Magician

Post by blackmist03 »

I really didnt know that most upper mages use air pets, but now i do. So do they pretty much constantly stun? are the air pets the second best tank , with earth being the first? What kind of damage do air pets dish out and how well can they keep a mob off of the caster by stunning it? I have heard anywhere from 500-1500 aa to make pets decent...does anyone else have any opinions on this?
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

ooh yea on regular mobs u can see they stun the mobs alot. yah earth pet has most hps air pet second behind. air pets dmg i never calculated but they dish out alot of dmg i mean u need 81 air pet good pet focus etc. and yes theyll keep mobs off the caster. i send pet in give it 3secs roughly and do my things never take aggro from pet. yes u need least 500aa for decent pet. i mean you got pet defensive aas and offensive. got you durability/agility/flurry etc. to make him all the better. yes some mobs will walk or run off ofcourse earth pet will sometimes stop it but pets can stun them so you can finish them off. i was just relaying that i use air pet when in groups and solo along with other mages on my server so.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

From a soloing aspect blackmist, that is basically your preference. I only use air pets when I solo. Earth mitigates dmg better and has more HPs, but it also takes more hits then an air pet does. Partly from the stuns and iirc air pet naturally avoids more hits. Pretty much with mages we can agree on a lot of things but as far as which pet is a better tank a lot of mages I have met/talked to differ b/t air and earth pets. Once you get your mage up to around 65 or so (once you have all 4 of your pets for those levels) I would break out both the air pet and earth pet and see which one you prefer. The only major downfall for your earth pet will be that it will cast root every like 5 seconds until you get Advanced Pet Discipline 2 (AA). Root generally isnt a bad thing except that it will make the mob flip flop b/t any other pets in melee range of the mob.

I would recommend going 2x air pets. Most things nowadays our pets can stun, so I really wouldn't be too worried about running into mobs who can't be stunned. Personally I have never ran into a mob or mobs where 2x air pets just got demolished, and you needed that extra mitigation/hp of an earth pet.

Edit: Oh yeah Blackmist more or less likely why you can't find a set # of AAs you need for just your pet to be a beastly tank is because it is quite hard to find a list of how much the AAs cost per rank you get. And I am willing to bet that most mages on here have a good amount of pet tanking AAs done already. Your best bet would probably be looking at someone's magelo and reading what each AA does and base what you get from that.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Msha
Magician

Post by Msha »

Another thing to consider when talking about earth vs. air is agro, when I use an air pet, I can pretty much go off the bat and chain nuke all I want, even do twincast without the mob taking any notice of me. The few times I use earth pet and do the same, I have had the mob suddenly discover: 'Hey that gnome over there hurts, I better go whack him'. That is even when I give the earth pet 2 x summoned agro weapons.

Thats another thing to take into consideration.
Msha Flamethrower
85 Magician
Wind of Tranquility
Antonius Bayle Server
blackmist03
Magician

Post by blackmist03 »

ok then lol.. note to self, air pets are better lol... I guess the stuns help alot,and also the fact that im sure air does more dmg in general