proc rates

Help rebuild the Library of Knowledge for Magicians.
yaladilae
Magician

proc rates

Post by yaladilae »

From what i've heard. If you use epic at a high level (after 85) i think, it will actually lower pet's tankiness due to the proc of the effect from epic is useless, but instead makes iceflame proc less??

Is that true? How about sympathetic whatever focus?
Hypothetical situation:
If i have sympathetic strike of venom V (1) as the base on my wep. Then I add a strike of disease VI (2) on it. Then add another aug say sympathtic allevating burst III (3) on shield

Now situation 1, i only have (1) and not (2) and (3), say i proc on average 30 times per hour if i non stop nuking.
If I have (2) and (3) does this happen?

I proc 90 times per hour now on average, or do i proc 30 times still, but randomly which one, or does it increase very slightly (like 45 times) or dramatically (like 60 times) if i have more then 1 type there?

Thanks
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: proc rates

Post by Voragath »

The problem with skittles v. iceflame is that they are spell buffs on your pet. If skittles procs, iceflame will not. You can proc one or the other, not both. Since skittles' buff is useless after 75, the proc will go off and block iceflame leaving you with nothing happening.

With the ones you mentioned, it works differently. EQ will go down the line in an order and check to see if a proc goes off. Spell and gear procs are treated separately.

Adding an aug to gear will not make you proc less.
Last edited by Voragath on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaladilae
Magician

Post by yaladilae »

But if i add an aug, will i proc the same or will i proc more?
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

You will proc more often. I'll take the simple case of two augs. For ease, we'll just call them aug A and B; what they do doesn't factor in but for ease will also say they proc from casting.

So, augs A and B are designed to proc at, say 6 procs per minute (ppm). When you nuke, the game checks to see if aug A procs or not. If A procs, then nothing else happens until the next nuke; if aug A doesn't, it checks to see if aug B procs.

Now, these aren't guaranteed ppm so an aug could proc 3 times or 9 times in a minute--it's just an average ppm. When aug A procs that 3 times in one minute, clearly there are more chances for aug B to proc. So, by the mere fact of having more chances to proc something, you will see more procs. This is all on the average and you can still have several casts where nothing happens even though it isn't likely.

AFAIK, procs are not additive. This means having A and B augs does not mean you get 12 ppm, technically. So, once you have about 4 augs, the odds of you proc'ing something on any given cast go up because it is going down the line to check for something to proc; but you will still see each aug proc'ing an average 6 ppm.

This means, if you can cast only 12 spells a minute (simple case again): aug A only will get you 6 ppm, aug A+B will get 6ppm+ but you'll see each one proc'ing less on average, aug A+B+C 6ppm+ but each is going to be less than 6ppm, aug A+B+C+D will get 6ppm+ but one of those augs may not proc in a minute and will be a poor performer. So as you add augs, you can proc more times in the minute but the augs themselves will be proc'ing less on the average. It happens in such a way that you aren't actually guaranteed 6 procs ouf the 12 casts but the probability of it happening does go up.

It's actually more complicated than that. Augs can be adjusted to proc more or less and some other things. The one thing to remember is that more augs increase your chance of proc'ing something on any given cast.
yaladilae
Magician

Post by yaladilae »

i cant ask for a more detail explanation then that, thank you
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

Also, if you have something like 2 augments that return mana when casting, and say one returns 100 mana and one returns 75 mana, I believe EQ checks the better augment first to see if it procs, if not, then it checks the lesser one.

Fully agreeing with above statement from Voragath, the better augments will generally proc to their full potential, lesser augments may or may not get in all their procs, depending on how many times you cast per minute.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

yaladilae wrote:i cant ask for a more detail explanation then that, thank you
Your welcome :)
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

I did an expected value analysis similar to this based on the percentage chance that fickle would proc if we need the probabilities you could do a similar analysis. This would be a good question to ask about the mechanics of this so that we could optimize dps be it short burns or long burns or w/e. If we knew how this works.
yaladilae
Magician

Post by yaladilae »

Is there any sympathtic aug that can go into a range?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Brell's Rest has a vendor that you need Silver Tokens to buy augs for your range slot.

Should be able to buy them in the bazaar if people are selling.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams