Developing a Solo/Molo Mage - My Take

Help rebuild the Library of Knowledge for Magicians.
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Re: Developing a Solo/Molo Mage - My Take

Post by deadman1204 »

why not replace famished flames with arcane symbiosis? Famished flames has such a LONG recast time - once you factor in the recast you gain very little for the spell slot.
Conine
Trial Member

Post by Conine »

What a great post! Although what about Virulent Talon!? :D
Cimmaron

Post by Cimmaron »

Virulent Talon I'm always using when it pops up, unless I'm saving it for a named I'm camping.

I have currently replaced famished flames with Rain of Scythes - I'm LIKING those rain spells now.
Image/a>
Forte

Post by Forte »

Interesting thread, to which I'll add my 2 cp...

1) Lead with the pet when you can, i.e. let him get first agro. If that isn't practical, pull with AA malo, you'll want the debuff and you won't be using a spell slot to get it.

2) Get Subtlety maxed, and a de-agro aug of some sort, Globe of the Ocean etc.

3) When you're soloing, be sure to make use of F9 frequently. You wil be able to see adds coming in third-person view and plan acordingly.

4) Use the agro swords, they work.

My standard soloing lineup @ lvl 100:

Gather Magnitude
Broiling Sands
Spear
Bolt
RS
Twincast
Thaumatize Pet
Wand of Phantasmal Modulation
Phantasmal Symbiosis
Blazing Orb
Promised Amelioration
Surge of Arcanum

( That spellset is for soloing the little dogs in SL, which are probably the weakest blue-con mobs in EQ atm. With no merc, I've handled six at a time with nothing to help the pet except AAs and the delayed heal. For tougher zones/mobs, I do mem the Stance and direct heal )

Just for reference, Forte has all AAs, EM 17 and more than half of his slots are RoF T1 raid. So as always, your milage may vary. ;)
tatanka7th

Post by tatanka7th »

Hehe, #3 check. In 12.5 years, and 250 days on my main, I think my total playtime in first person view is about 2 or 3 hours! I'm always in a nice far-back 3rd person view. I feel like I'm playing in a paper bag in first person view.

Also, the extended target window is an awesome tool to alert you to adds :)

Tat
Icemagi
Trial Member

Post by Icemagi »

storm of many has an ungodly radius.. i pull with it all the time.. by the time the mob recovers i can send fluffy in and he/she gains agro... followed up with malo(AA) cause the mob is closer now.. then a RS pet .. the a Compaion Relocation if my pet isnt facing me.. then RS again when it refreshes.. seems after that i can cast away and never gain agro..

my resutls are moloing mobs in BI.. milage may vary.. but SoM has an uber radius..
Foaaniel
Magician

Post by Foaaniel »

Forte wrote:Interesting thread, to which I'll add my 2 cp...

1) Lead with the pet when you can, i.e. let him get first agro. If that isn't practical, pull with AA malo, you'll want the debuff and you won't be using a spell slot to get it.

2) Get Subtlety maxed, and a de-agro aug of some sort, Globe of the Ocean etc.

3) When you're soloing, be sure to make use of F9 frequently. You wil be able to see adds coming in third-person view and plan acordingly.

4) Use the agro swords, they work.

My standard soloing lineup @ lvl 100:

Gather Magnitude
Broiling Sands
Spear
Bolt
RS
Twincast
Thaumatize Pet
Wand of Phantasmal Modulation
Phantasmal Symbiosis
Blazing Orb
Promised Amelioration
Surge of Arcanum

( That spellset is for soloing the little dogs in SL, which are probably the weakest blue-con mobs in EQ atm. With no merc, I've handled six at a time with nothing to help the pet except AAs and the delayed heal. For tougher zones/mobs, I do mem the Stance and direct heal )

Just for reference, Forte has all AAs, EM 17 and more than half of his slots are RoF T1 raid. So as always, your milage may vary. ;)
WHAT IS CURRENT EOK LINE UP ???
In the time of chimpanzees i was a monkey .....and Curious george is my long lost brother
Danille

Post by Danille »

No clue. I retired from the game last year after 4 straight years of mage pet nerfs!
Sancus
Conjurer

Post by Sancus »

Foaaniel wrote:WHAT IS CURRENT EOK LINE UP ???
There are a lot of different options/variations depending on what you're doing, but a good basic lineup (I use this for grouping too, so some spells like Beam/Group Coth are more group orientated):

1. Remorseless Servant
2. Chaotic Fire
3. Spear of Molten Shieldstone
4. Spear of Blistersteel
5. Storm of Many
6. Auspice of Eternity
7. Beam of Molten Shieldstone
8. Summon Firebound Orb
9. Twincast
10. Call of the Heroes
11. Monster Summoning XI
12. Promised Invigoration

Here are some other possible spells to load:
  • Renewal of Calix
  • Aegis of Japac
  • Gather Magnitude - especially if you want to keep a pocketed pet and can't use MS
  • Rain of Cutlasses - Rains can help quite a bit with mana issues. They suck under First Spire or other crit chance effects, but outside of those and Heart of Flame/Elemental Union they can be decent.
  • Coronal Rain
I generally weave Chaotic->RS->105 Spear->100 Spear with the Firebound Orb click used on refresh, and during ITC I weave RS->105 Spear->100 Spear->Chaotic. Depending on the difficulty of the content, RS->Chaotic->105 Spear->100 Spear will get more RS casts out if you're using them to off tank. It will cost more mana though, and you may have to be more careful with and cognisant of Conjurer's Synergy procs (and preferably use them on Firebound Orb rather than with Chaotic Fire).

Storm is loaded for two reasons. The first is to maintain the Theft of Essence Aura, which both increases pet/swarm pet DPS and helps pets tank. Secondly, during Host of Elements (which can now be redirected via /pet swarm), you should be able to get four lines pretty consistently. At that point the spell is both good damage and mana efficient, so if you're looking to squeeze out some more damage it's worth working into your lineup.