Summer projects and other stuff

EverQuest related news and other things relevant to all members.
Jedis
Administrator

Summer projects and other stuff

Post by Jedis »

Hey all,

I'd just like to update everyone on the status of the website, now that classes are over and I have a chance to breath! Since switching from the Google reCaptcha plugin to asking registration questions relating to EverQuest, it's drastically cut down the number of spammers that make it through registration. What the captcha questions aren't catching, the moderation queue is sorting the rest - anyone with less than 5 posts need each of their posts to be approved by a moderator. A little bit of work seems to have gone a long way, as far as time is spent moderating.

Second, I'm ALWAYS open to suggestions about the forums and website. Tonight, I started streamlining the sections, in an attempt to reduce the forum list size and make it easier to navigate. I don't particularly like how phpBB3 lists subforums (and much prefer how vBulletin does it by identing them), but that's covered below. It does make the site appear less bloated though.

Some upcoming changes/additions to the website include a Wiki. We're attempting to convert the Library forum into Wiki pages, so that anyone can update information going forward. This is a long term project and we only have a couple people working on it. Therefore, this is going to take awhile. Also, I've setup Wordpress on the site and that will eventually replace the current redirect on www.eqmagetower.com. There will be a link there at the top of the page to take you to the forums, much like the current portal's logo functions.

Long term, I'd like to move from phpBB3 to the vBulletin software, however, vBulletin isn't cheap. And new versions aren't free upgrades. I'm not sure if this will ever happen, but the configuration and plugin options available with vBulletin far surpasses what phpBB3 has to offer.

If you made it to the bottom of this post, I'd just like to thank each and every one of you for visiting the website. Your contributations and valuable feedback are greatly appreciated. I do read each and every PM sent to me (though I might not have time to respond to them all) - so if you have an issue or a suggestion for the site that you don't feel comfortable posting on the Suggestions forum, pleease feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks for reading. Have a great summer!