AA or level thats the question

Not quite at the level cap.
pandax
Arch Magus

Re: AA or level thats the question

Post by pandax »

Here's my take on it. If you were level 81, I would for sure recommend AA'ing. How that you're at 84, you're very close and I would say to just max it out now.

Many if not most people nowadays get their "I just leveled to 85" gear from OMM's and Boomerangs. Those have required levels of 80, rather than 85 so I would say that gear really isn't as big of an issue. The bigger issue at hand is finding groups! With only 600'ish AA's at level 84 your AA exp rate isn't going to be too hot solo'ing. You're just missing way too many vital AA's to really be able to get a good flow of exp coming in. As a result, you're probably going to want to group a bit. Now quite a few people at level 85 will do a /who all 85 lfg to find their members. The idea being that if you're level 84, you're probably not going to have quite the AA's or gear that someone who has been 85 for a long time does. If you're level 85, there's no way for anyone else to know that unless they ask or look you up on eqplayers! This has the side effect of being very annoying for those who come back after a short break when a new expansion has come out! People see a level 82 tank and have no idea that you're already sitting at 2k AA's and have full raid gear from the last expansion!

Anyhow, yeah.... level to 85 now ;)
Eandori Raintree
Elementalist

Post by Eandori Raintree »

The best sweet spot I have ever found was soloing in Splitpaw as a 76 mage with the 76 Air pet. Mobs were dying between 12 to 20 seconds each and I could smash though the zone for 15 min before needing to med, then 2 min to med to full and smash again until lesson runs out. Typically it was easily 5 AA per 30 min and up to 7 AA per 30 min. Plus, the mobs drop trash loot that would sell for around 5k to 7k in that 30 min time frame.

Katta at 76 was also a pretty darn nice sweet spot. Similar reasons, Summoned creatures and that monsterous 76 pet. Long story short, going from the 71 air pet to the 76 air pet is an enormous upgrade. 76 pet to 81 is an upgrade yes... but not even close to the same scale of power increase.
MeatnPotatoes
Elementalist

Post by MeatnPotatoes »

your saying splitpaw yeilds about 10Kish plat per hour off of its trash drops?
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

MeatnPotatoes wrote:your saying splitpaw yeilds about 10Kish plat per hour off of its trash drops?
Most mobs in there will drop a gem of one sort or another. Diamonds, blue diamonds, rubies, emeralds, fire emeralds and the like will drop from around 4 out of 5 mobs. Although 10k may be an upper limit for a casual grinder in there if you can kill enough mobs fast enough 10k isn't all that much of a stretch.
MeatnPotatoes
Elementalist

Post by MeatnPotatoes »

do you know of anywhere else to grind plat out of trash drops that may be faster than splitpaw? i need cash for some spells
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Crypt of Decay is the spot I normally hit up if I need some plat. You can sell everything you get from there, which a good amount is Tradeskill stuff, and a lot of gems drop. Also, some of the non-TS stuff sells for like 60 to 120plat a pop. Plus, you get a lot of gems as well. And you can pretty much beam an entire area at a time. I normally do all the undead, then all of the rats then anything else. takes like 10-15min and then u get some med time before respawn.

Hope that helps. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Gadjett

Post by Gadjett »

Yea splitpaw is nice. I usually pop a merc healer run around the rooms with and get a small train going them take them just before the back safe room area and beam the crap out if them
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

Having not used Beam yet, does it have a stun/snare/root component of some kind? How else are you keeping a train of mobs from chewing you up? Just relying on Merc healing?
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Nelith wrote:Having not used Beam yet, does it have a stun/snare/root component of some kind? How else are you keeping a train of mobs from chewing you up? Just relying on Merc healing?
Yep, that's pretty much it. On the bright side the merc healing you can at least temporarily pull aggro from you onto them, though usually they'll be on you. If things get ugly just hit fade, and then they'll definitely go for the merc. :)