Quests and items

Not quite at the level cap.
Wazza

Quests and items

Post by Wazza »

Hello all, I'm a returning player from early 2001. I used to play a rogue (lvl 53) and can therefore can be considered a complete newbie as to what items I should get for my magician. I decided on playing a magician as I imagine that the low pop and the even lower low-level pop will make grouping a pain in the rear.

I am now level 20, but have realised that apart from doing some of the armour quests in PoK (I got the gnoll one and ro one) and getting some defiant drops, I'm still using a rusty knife and a lantern in my hands and have the tutorial robe!

I've done some research about stuff that I want to do (as personal goals) and I've got the following:

•LDoN Adventurer stone (never done this- I believe I need to do it if I want to dabble in the LDoN dungeons?) (lvl 20+)
•The Focus items in Temple of S Ro (lvl 30+)
(all Found on Vera @ http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=12084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
•Mage Epic (lvl 35+)
• I believe there are some level 20 armor quests in the new drakkin town, have yet to look at this though.
(http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/ques ... quest=3603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Apart from that I don't know what key quests I should be doing, that have either good rewards or are a fun story line? I'm not fussed about travelling about as I do want to see the world.

Any help is appreciated as I'm feeling slightly confused and I would like to get back into eq- just need to have manageable goals.

If you are are also a returning player may I recommend the following:

http://www.paullynch.org/eqblog/?p=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Returning from 2004
http://www.paullynch.org/eqblog/?p=350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - What to do and When
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/guides.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Contains surprisingly detailed summaries of what each expansion did.
http://www.paullynch.org/tnzfaq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - A decent FAQ for returning players.
Bastler
Conjurer

Re: Quests and items

Post by Bastler »

The easiest way to lvl is in the TSS expansion. You can lvl up to lvl 20 easy in Crecent Reach alone, then move out into blight fire which will get you to the high 30s and then slip over to Mesa for new armor quests, or to the Hive.
I do not know if you want to grab a merc, but you might want to skill up your research skill, as it is needed for some spells. So keep hold on any binding powder you loot, it normally drops from caster mobs. If you want to lvl quick, check out the hot spots, though I dare say that Blightfire has a very high ZEM.
If you have a Drakkin, the Drakkin breath weapon tasks might be interesting, as well as the exploration task from TSS. You can get it upstairs from the scout. I would not bother with LDON after you got your Adventurer's Stone, as that one is usefull for some quicker teleportation. Another interesting clickie might be the Eye of Zoom clickie. Once you get summonable armor, give it to your pet, or ask a higher lvl mage for a set, it improves low pets dramatically.
Wazza

Post by Wazza »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not really interested in powerleveling my way up with my first character.

Research skill? This is the first I've heard a bout it. I took a look at the mage spell list in the library and it looks like a lot of my summoning spells will become research only. I've found this on eqtraders (http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/artic ... 0095000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I presume that it will cover what I need to know.

I heard LDoN Dungeons were actually fun? Thought some people might be interested in doing them.

I didn't realise that the summonable items improved your pet. Will have to try that.

Any interesting/fun quests I should try?
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Clay Bracelet for the eye of zomm clicky is very useful, so yes, do that quest. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it should be doable around 20.

LDON missions are fun, but very pitiful rewards by today's standards. If you do enough North Ro ones you can get your Diamond Prism of Companionship, which will focus your 51+ pets. Also you need 3 people to request them. A merc will count toward the 3, but that means you'll still have to find someone else willing to do them with you. Also the sand elves in the north ro adventures count as summoned for whatever reason, so all your anti-elemental spells will work on them (including mez and charm when you get them).

When you hit high 20s, go to Kedge Keep! Very underrated zone, great xp, and a very different experience from the rest of the zones in EQ. Just make sure you summon lots of enduring breath stones if you don't have EB or Faerune on something already, and keep a close eye on how much time EB has. If you need to afk, click a fresh stone first.

As far as gear goes, I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. I was in cloth armor until level 30. Seriously. Better gear helps, but it does not make the mage. Gear becomes more important at higher levels, but you can get by practically naked for a long time. Maybe take the time to get your Ro focus items, but I wouldn't worry about gear much beyond that.

If you're coming back on Luclin and want someone to pall around Kedge with, look me up! I'd be happy to shroud down for some Kedge excitement.
Wazza

Post by Wazza »

Will add the Clay Bracelet quest. (I noticed it another thread re: old quests which were still good). Will also look at earthen boots.

A few of my old guild are coming back and should have enough for LDoN. Do they give separate tokens for each different large camp?

I'm on Antonious Bayle, so thanks for the offer, but as I'm from the UK would like as many people on my prime-time.

I'll deffo try Kedge Keep- I vaguely remember helping someone with their epic quest there (could have even been my epic one!).

What is shrouding? Saw an NPC with (Shroud something or other) under their name, but it allowed you to become a goblin rogue and some other stuff? All sounded very odd.

Thanks.
Wati
Magician

Post by Wati »

From an old document I wrote for myself, quests with the following rewards:

Level 5-10
Boawb's Crescent Buckle Belt
Reakash's Purifying Mask
Staff of the Dark Apprentice

Level 15-22
Ore Hauler's Haversack

Everything from Crescent Reach / Bligtfire.
Oniuyen_of_Test

Post by Oniuyen_of_Test »

Beginner's Guide to skilling up Research. Something I wrote when research first changed.
Oniuyen Dipp
70th Magi of Intended Consequences
Test Server
Magelo
Wazza

Post by Wazza »

Oo that staff is exactly what I need. I think I'll do that quest tonight!

And thanks for the guide- all the other bits and pieces demand a certain level of knowledge.

Thanks again.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Shrouding lets you become a different class in a manner of speaking. You pick your "class" by what monster type you want to be, and as you get xp as a shrouded monster you unlock other classes from that monster group. For example you can shroud into an earth elemental that acts as a warrior, or a kobald that acts as a healer. A shrouded class isn't as good as the player classes, and doesn't have the exact same skills/spells, though the big ones are generally there (a hypothetical example: a chanter will have mez, but may not have charm or pacify).

The bigger perk of shrouding, however, is you can pick what level you want to be in multiples of 5 below your actual level, so as an 85 mage I could shroud down to a 20 or 25 enchanter, which would allow me to group with a level 20 player. Useful if you have lower level guildies you want to help out. A level 20 mage, however, could not shroud up to an 85 warrior.
Wazza

Post by Wazza »

ah, that is a very good feature. They've been busy these last 8 years!