Prototypical returning player post

Not quite at the level cap.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Re: Prototypical returning player post

Post by Merlaina »

If you're looking for pp and xp check out zones from The Serpents Spine on. They started adding quite a bit in the way of sellable trash loot in that expansion and they've kept up with the tradition ever since. Again I'll say Dragon Scale Hills has good xp and the mobs drop lots of little sellable knick-knacks that add up to quite a bit. Also there's no shortage of vendors in that zone, and even a banker.
Optamos

Post by Optamos »

Exp and plat would be the perfect combo for me, so I will check out the Serpents Spine (no clue where it is but I'll find it hehe). I'm on the old Brell server, which has since merged with Cazic Thule (hence the Sage of Cazic Thule signature hehe) if anyone is on there and doesn't mind a nostalgic old mage in way-outdated gear tagging along with them, I'd welcome the company. My old guild is non-existent anymore.

I've thought about going to Howling Stones, City of Mist, or Seb just for old times' sake. Spent many an hour in those places back in the day. I used to have a really cool Trak screenshot where his head literally fell right at my feet when he died. It even made screenshot of the day on Alla's. :D

Thanks for the tips everybody! Please keep em coming.
Optamos Magaeus (72)
Sage of Cazic Thule
Optamos

Post by Optamos »

Dinged 68 over the weekend and have managed to wrack up a few more aa's along the way. I'm still struggling for plat and spells, so that is next on the agenda. My gear has largely been replaced by what I could buy/obtain from daily tasks. I have added 0 spells, though (still missing some 66 and have none of my 67 or 68 spells yet).

I'm going to try out Dragon Scale Hills this week and see how that goes for plat and exp. I should also check into researching my 66-70 spells I guess. I think my research skill is pretty decent.
Optamos Magaeus (72)
Sage of Cazic Thule
fordse
Magician

Post by fordse »

I'm right here with you. Just came back with a 67 mage after being gone for a few years...again...and trying to find my way 'round the latest iteration of Norrath. :)
Bilfor

Post by Bilfor »

Hey well I've done the same sort of thing so many times it's a little bit sad I tend to pop on and off eq every 6months to a year so I'm always either playing catchup or confused.

For money and xp between 61-66 I personally really enjoyed Blackfeather Roost which is off Gorukar Mesa which is off of the TSS zone that the PoK portal bring you (TSS = The Serpent's Spine the expansion where they introduced the Drakkin race) The nameds there will drop items worth 200-1000 pp a piece to vendors and then there's plenty of vendor trash. The other thing though is that the zone becomes higher level as you go up the platforms (little mini quests involved with getting the ability to go up higher) so it's technically good up till 70 or so iirc. Should at least be a decent place if you feel like trying that out.

Alternately you could probably do Walls of Slaughter and kill the nameds with a Merc healer to get your 66-68 spells if you can't afford them or don't feel like researching them. Or you could do the nameds in nobles causeway which should be easier and safer.

For nobles causeway you can walk up to a priest of discord and say "I wish to go" and they port you to the zone before Noble's Causeway and for Walls of Slaughter you can go to the vendor in your Guildhall and buy (I think it's a chipped shard but I don't remember) -........- of slaughter and hand it back to the merchant and then the glowing pad off to the side will port you there.

PS: For maps you can just go to mapfiend and download a map pack that should include everything and then you can pop it up with backspace or ... the m key I think might be shift or alt m I don't recall. http://www.mapfiend.net/mappacks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just select all, download, open and dump into the map folder in your eq folder and enjoy.
fordse
Magician

Post by fordse »

Thank you Bilfor!!
Iniaru

Post by Iniaru »

<<EDITED>> - See bottom of post.

Thanks for a Great thread. it is funny to see several level 66-67 mages returning. My main used to be a 75 pally, but I really came back to play the best pet class i ever found since gaming from 2002. Ini is 66, but with few AA's. Now I am back and I have raised her 13 AA points in Chardok B with cleric merc. This is also helping me to remember the class.

I miss eqsummoners and am glad to have found TMT here. Thisthread has good info so far.

I am only up to 28 AA's at present with Run3, Regen 3, Planar Power 1, SCM3, SCF2 (planning SCF3 before doing any others).

Iplan on mostly soloing, with next goal 71 after getting a decent amouny of AA. Can you suggest a solo path before I start leveling and what to get by the time I arrive at level 71? I have spell research at 190/300 if that helps at all.

I am also going to the Bazaar looking for the defiant gear listed here.

Current gear is:

Fabled Robe of the Ishiva
Elemental Sleeves of the Prime
Drowned Man;s Hair (Belt) - summoned pet booster
Ethereal Silversilk Wristwraps & Elemental Bracer of the Prime
Serene Woven Platinum Trousers
Elemental Gloves of the Prime
Wirewick Slippers
Dark Void Shoulders
Cloak of Greater Pernicity
Elemental Cap of the prime

Stats are:
Hit Points 5,052 | 6,508
Mana 6,433 | 6,463
Endurance 4,342 | 4,411
Armor Class 897 | 992
Attack 151 | 155

STR 155 | 160 Poison 119 | 119
STA 239 | 244 Magic 124 | 124
AGI 193 | 198 Disease 123 | 123
DEX 201 | 206 Fire 106 | 196
WIS 192 | 202 Cold 135 | 180
INT 290 | 290 Corruption 15 | 15
CHA 207 | 207

Current Pet used most - Child of Wind

Thanks for all the help offered.

<<EDIT Monday Jun 21>> - I went to Bazaar and found Defiant Gear and the upgrade was distinct.

Hit Points 6,651 | 8,076
Mana 8,236 | 8,266
Endurance 6,393 | 6,428
Armor Class 1,192 | 1,342
Attack 279 | 288

STR 256 | 266 Poison 229 | 229
STA 291 | 291 Magic 254 | 254
AGI 292 | 292 Disease 229 | 229
DEX 292 | 292 Fire 255 | 255
WIS 295 | 295 Cold 268 | 268
INT 306 | 306 Corruption 15 | 15
CHA 293 | 293

I am now up to 37 AA points from 15.

<< End EDIT >>
Bilfor

Post by Bilfor »

Alrighty well I can help, sort of. So here's the deal, if you intend to stop again at 71 for AA's and jazz.

I'd go 66-68 at Walls of Slaughter or Nobles Causeway which gets you however many spells you can hope for. While you're at it look up the research components you'll need and pick those up if you have the opportunity and do your researching.

When you complete your set of 66-68 spells, if you can stomach a group I'd go and grind aa's at the farm assuming it isn't perma camped by jerks on your server.

Alright well if you can't/won't group go to either Blackfeather Roost, Plane of Fire, The Hole, Greigs End, or possibly just go to a hotzone near your level and solo up to 100 or 200 aa's which will be sufficient at the time.

Then I'd grind to 71 and get the new pet then move back and get your 69 spells and attempt to research up your level 70 spells while you grind until you get bored of it. If you can, get up to 500 AA's before you leave level 71 because the next time your relative power will be that great will be at 76 when you get the next pet.

As for locations to hunt at 71 I'd do Dragonscale Hills but Plane of Fire is still okay I can't really give you a perfect idea because I only got up to there with my SK because the mage account is inactive.

I can't give you opinions on mage gear at these points other than defiant is great until required 71 and 75 armor becomes available at which point look into upgrades but don't worry too much about it.

I hope this helps but take it all with a grain of salt because well I'm nobody special. Also when you move up and down in level has to be your own choice based on how you feel about your power level, just remember that sometimes you have to decide if the gain from leveling is worth the change in level compared to your mobs for the purpose of xp and such so don't move on unless you're completely bored or are feeling more than sufficiently powerful.

Also I don't know if you are but look around and get a few augments to boost your mana and whatever else you find you need at the time.
Iniaru

Post by Iniaru »

Bilfor wrote:Alrighty well I can help, sort of. So here's the deal, if you intend to stop again at 71 for AA's and jazz.

I'd go 66-68 at Walls of Slaughter or Nobles Causeway which gets you however many spells you can hope for. While you're at it look up the research components you'll need and pick those up if you have the opportunity and do your researching.

When you complete your set of 66-68 spells, if you can stomach a group I'd go and grind aa's at the farm assuming it isn't perma camped by jerks on your server.

Alright well if you can't/won't group go to either Blackfeather Roost, Plane of Fire, The Hole, Greigs End, or possibly just go to a hotzone near your level and solo up to 100 or 200 aa's which will be sufficient at the time.

Then I'd grind to 71 and get the new pet then move back and get your 69 spells and attempt to research up your level 70 spells while you grind until you get bored of it. If you can, get up to 500 AA's before you leave level 71 because the next time your relative power will be that great will be at 76 when you get the next pet.

As for locations to hunt at 71 I'd do Dragonscale Hills but Plane of Fire is still okay I can't really give you a perfect idea because I only got up to there with my SK because the mage account is inactive.

I can't give you opinions on mage gear at these points other than defiant is great until required 71 and 75 armor becomes available at which point look into upgrades but don't worry too much about it.

I hope this helps but take it all with a grain of salt because well I'm nobody special. Also when you move up and down in level has to be your own choice based on how you feel about your power level, just remember that sometimes you have to decide if the gain from leveling is worth the change in level compared to your mobs for the purpose of xp and such so don't move on unless you're completely bored or are feeling more than sufficiently powerful.

Also I don't know if you are but look around and get a few augments to boost your mana and whatever else you find you need at the time.
Bilfor, that was a great post.

Iniaru's changes are here: http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 3986056899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am still working on Magelo but so many things to research and remember and reset again.

Comments and Questions:

""if you can stomach a group I'd go and grind aa's at the farm assuming it isn't perma camped by jerks on your server."" What and where is the farm?

-- I am soloing for now to get the basics down again so I can move to grouping and not be totally inept (maybe just inept at grouping is OK). It will come back.

-- I am currently gaining AA's (EQPlayers AA tab seems to misrepresent what my AA's are - working on that) in Veksar which is great for plat, weapon drops that can be turned in 4x per type for more XP/coin, and Tribute items. I even have a merc cleric that costs me BUT I am a profit from the place despite that. I have also been researching what solo mages and grouping mages have as their AA paths, focussing for now on soloing and pet improvements first to make AA'ing easier until I can then focus on adding in the grouping.

-- Comment - the fact that nowadays you can keep your pet when you log, with all gear intact is an ENORMOUS help. Great idea that was a long time coming.

-- Comment - the info you offered overall gives me a good idea as to how to proceed. back when eqsummoners was up, I relied on their leveling forums to get to 55, then Monster Missions and their great xp and xp bonus weekends to do fast leveling to 66. Iniaru has Spell research at 190 out of 300 and was a focus for her back then. I plan to research the newer processes to get what spells she can make.

You gave clear and good ideas to try out and work out a growth plan. 500 AA's before leaving 71 seems a lot BUT reading up on the AA's currently available makes me see that 500 is not such a bad idea. Yesterday I was checking on what AA's other mages my own level have on my server and either they had 30-50 ot 130-180 as a general rule. I am up to 57 and working up. Your guide suggests similar ""solo up to 100 or 200 aa's which will be sufficient at the time"".

Air Fluffy and I thank you again!!
Zzzeegg

Post by Zzzeegg »

The farm is in the centre North of Dragonscale Hills. You get there - direct via Guild Hall port (need invis and lev is a good idea too from there - mind the wandering biiig robot - it is north and east of ZI point) or via the revised Steamfont Mountains (run northish and through tunnels - again invis may help).

NPC Sigglik gives 3 tasks - kill Crows, Doombugs and Scarecros for good xp/AA xp at your level - say 'willing' x 3

Watch out for the named versions as they enrage and will probably eat your pet.

Good luck

Zzzeegg