Returning EQ vet drowning in info. HELP.

Not quite at the level cap.
Suskie

Returning EQ vet drowning in info. HELP.

Post by Suskie »

Hello mage community, let me open by saying I'm unaware what happened to the old mage tower website but I have come across comments on this site that suggest the plethora of information contained on the old site has been lost somehow, which I am very sorry to find. I very much hope the brains who still frequent these boards can eventually rebuild the information base which was lost.

So here's my dilemma (a dilemma I'm sure is shared by a few). I had previously raided end game from Kunark through Dragons of Norrath and the beginning of Depths of Darkhollow, but I'm now returning to EQ after a near 4 year hiatus and totally unsure what I need to be doing to catch myself up to the endgame. I've been browsing these forums for the last several days and even though I have some idea where to start, I have no idea what I should be working towards in the long run.

Currently I am level 75 with 560AA and what was (for my time) a solid gear set (magelo linked at bottom). My plans for the time being, based on suggestions on this board, are to head into paw and grind out level 76, get my new air pet and head to katta to grind out some more AA to fill out many of the new essentials before my gear becomes too dated and it becomes much more difficult to solo AAs.

So here's what I'm asking from you, the mage community; a short and concise list of personalized important goals to improve my character OTHER than level 85 and a whole pile more AAs.

Things like rather easily accessible gear upgrades, factions i will want to grind out, specific spells which are head and shoulders more important than the rest (servant spells? yes please). Keep in mind I'm once again a total noob and unaware of the simplest things such as how to get the the newer zones, so the more detailed the description of how to obtain any suggested upgrades would be GREATLY appreciated. That said, I can also do research on my own as to how to obtain specific items, so if you don't feel like typing out a long drawn out guide for me a simple list of things to shoot for would be just as good. Any information is welcome at this point!

Thank you for any and all information you all can provide me!

Suskie, 75 Grand Summoner, Saryrn (Mithaniell Marr)

(Note: magelo is somewhat out of date and I can't remember password to log into my magelo account, biggest differences would that I actually have 560AA and some slight gear upgrades, notably Skull of Vishimtar shield).
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/997110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Msha
Magician

Re: Returning EQ vet drowning in info. HELP.

Post by Msha »

Well, instead of going to Katta and grind out AAs, you should consider going to The Burning Sea and work on Jonas Dagmire Skeletal Hand (look it up in Allakhazam). When in doing XP in katta, there are a handfull of quests you could do that will help you get faction if you so desire (plus the quests are extra XP).

Then should check the plethora of quests available in the SoF and SoD expansion, best source for that is Rasper's http://home.comcast.net/~mathadon/Guides/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you get 81+ you should see if you can get gear upgrades from especially Field of Scale in SoD, and see if you can find people to help you complete Rathe Theme progression to get access to the top tier of Mercs.

And find a guild with people who are still doing SoD level content, both group and raid (if you have friends in the raid scene still, see if you can get a task add to a Tower Event, a single event from there will get you a Enhanced Minion 7 pet focus (only work for level 81+ pets).

Hope this will give you some ideas where to go from where you are.
Msha Flamethrower
85 Magician
Wind of Tranquility
Antonius Bayle Server
Brie

Post by Brie »

Welcome back!

Not sure how Elegant Defiant gear compares to what you've got now (it's 11 at night and I'm too tired to check. :D ) Still, it may be worth it to check out the Bazaar for Elegant defiant silk gear. It can be pretty cheap to buy, well worth it if you have the plat to spare.

You can also ask around in Knowledge for taskadds to the Old Man McKenzie missions, which are monster missions that give great experience and gear once you're around 80.

Good luck in your hunting. :) Hope that helps a little.
Taron, 87 Mage, Nameless
Sigil of the Dragon
~Sigils~
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

I wouldn't worry too much about faction grinding for anything before Seeds of Destruction. Rank 1 of almost all your spells are available on venders and most rank 2's can be purchased in the bazaar.

You might want rank 2 of Rancorous Servant (lvl 80), for that you need ally to Brownie Rebels. Best way to get that is doing the daily tasks from Fenden Helter in Dragonscale Hills. He is in the tower where you port in there from your guildhall portal. He offers kill tasks (one for each SoF faction), errands (one for each faction) and favors. You can do all of the kill tasks, one of the errands and both of the favors each day. All the tasks also give faycetum which can be used to buy gear from Fenden. The Brownie Rebels errands is a simple explore task of the minotaur fort right there in DSH which is easy to do.

Doing the Hand quest in The Burning Sea was fun for me, I would recommend it. However, I wouldn't worry about the factions there. You'll get the faction you need to complete the quest in doing al the tasks.

You will want to grind the SoD factions for the spells and the type 3 augments. Your non-visible gear (shoulders, belt, face, neck, earrings, rings, charm, back, shield) can come with a type 3 aug slot. You can buy augs to fit in those spots that increase damage on your nukes or increase your pet heal. They generally require ally faction where they are bought. Faction grinding in SoD was much, much easier than SoF. Between doing the progression tasks for each theme and the collection quests I had most of my factioning done already for buying rank 2's and type 3 augs. Try to get in on a pick up raid or at least a task invite to Queen Malarian, this will give you access to buy an Enhanced Minion 4 type 3 aug from Zebuxoruk in the Void.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

In case you don't know, nearly all 75 and below spells are researchable.

So Spell: Rampaging Servant Rk. II for example can be researched and is tradeable.
http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_ite ... 5000000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Also be sure to look up the following pet focus items:

The Sweeper
Energized Wire Coil

The sweeper drops from a mob in the buried sea, and the energized wire coil drops from a mob in one of the gyrospires (not suggested at your level) or can be purchased with faycitum from doing those tasks mentioned above in dragonscale hills (entrance is off steamfont, by the minotaur caves. The tower is in the middle eastern section of the zone). You can get enough faycitum to get the coil if you do both favors, one errand, and one kill task a day for 9 days. They also give good xp at your level, and you should get around 1 aa per task. I suggest for the errand do the brownie rebels one, as it's quick and easy once you get the hang of it, and the faction is helpful for getting your level 80 RS when the time comes.

Defiant gear will be your friend until you can start replacing some of it with group drops from secrets of faydwer. I wouldn't worry about gear too much in that level range though, as once you hit 81 much better gear becomes available. The cultural gear is excellent (wearable at 81), though expensive for a full set with augs and seals.

As others mentioned, old man mckenzie missions in PoK give great xp and have nice gear, though the gear is required level 80. Still, can't hurt to get a few pieces and save them while raking in crazy AA and pretty good pp.

I would make my short term goal the energized wire coil for pet focus, and then plat plat plat or tailoring tailoring tailoring so you can buy or make yourself the stalwart cultural armor when you hit 81. it's such a huge upgrade to what you can wear pre-81 it's not even funny.