Pet buffs / Spell Lineup for moloing...

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Trazadone

Pet buffs / Spell Lineup for moloing...

Post by Trazadone »

Hi. Lvl 77 magician here. New to the class. Sorry for the newbie questions in advance.

1) What buffs/equipment should I give to pet?
I am currently using the lvl 76 air pet. After I summon the pet I give it 2 weapons, Summoned Nastel Heirloom items, Summoned Plat of the Prime items, Summon Muzzle of Mowcha. Then I buff it w/ burnout, damage shield, rathe's strength, and w/ the iceflame tenement line of spells.
Is there anything else I should be doing to/for the pet?
Do I use Burning Brimbody?

2) What spells should I be casting thats both mana efficient and powerful?
I'm trying to get to lvl 81 asap so i can equip my cultrual / boomerang gear but for instance lets take the zone beza. I send pet in, allow it to grab agro, cast malosintia, and then chain my top 2 bolts w/ rancorous servant line when gift of mana procs?
Is there a better weave to use when soloing?
When should or should I weave in the Fickle line of spells?

Thanx for your advice in advance
https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1776429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zatpus
Elementalist

Re: Pet buffs / Spell Lineup for moloing...

Post by Zatpus »

If you have any petfocus, you only need to give your pet a couple of weapons. If you don't have one, go to pok to the defiant vendors and get one.
If your pet is the tank, keep Aegis line of spells up on your pet For you it will be Aegis of Calliav.

There are 2 general ways to kill stuff + anything between.

1 way is to kill manaefficient and strech the manabar as much as possible, the other one is to go "full out" and med when low on mana. With the OOC regen ability, you might want to test both ways and see, what fits better.

I personaly pull out one RS at any start of fight to speed kills up. Where I feel, that the second RS will as well last his whole time, I also will send the second RS.

If you are fighting mobs, where you would need to heal your pet, spending same mana on RS is possibly more efficient.
If you can kill mobs which would need a healermerc without RS and you can get them down with RS with healermerc suspended, likely its more efficient (xp per timeframe) to leave healermerc suspended and go full out.

If you kill mobs where at the end the RS-pet is lingering around doing nothing after mob is dead, the RS-pet is likely an overkill and waste of mana.

If you want to use RS extensively get EMII-focus from mckenzy or better and go for pet-aas first.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

I usually alternate my highest bolt and highest fickle for group burning. That way when fickle procs (which is pretty often, I think it's listed as 25% of the time) my next bolt will have 100% focus, meaning it can hit for pretty huge damage. It's also only slightly less mana efficient than the bolt itself, but it more than makes up for that when you factor in fickle proc.

If you're fighting in Beza and going for efficiency then you might want to add the 73/78 ATA spells for use against clockworks. After 70 that spell line not only works against elementals, but also golems and clockworks, making them awesome for SoF. They're also very hard to resist (I highly doubt you'll ever see a resist of them in beza) and very mana efficient. They're not as high damage however, so if you're going for the burn till oom and then ooc regen strategy you might want to stick with fire nukes.

A final trick: as well as RS, keep your highest gilded paradox (summoned ice clickly) spell memmed. If you get a GoM proc when a mob is nearly dead, instead of sending in an RS that would only get to attack for <10 seconds, summon one of those and then just burn through all of the clicks between nuke casts on the next mob or two.
Dadani
Conjurer

Post by Dadani »

Never stupid questions. No one person, except Benhan knows it all! Seriously

Most definitely a pet focus first and then test it out. You just might adjust your game play after the focus.

If you are going to battle the clockworks in Beza/Zeka, Theft of Essence is a great AA that works with your summoned lined of DD spells. It is a passive AA, active at all times. It has a chance to proc a healing effect+ on the pet. I That will help a lot in those zones, you nuke the mob and get the chance to heal the pet. Not a lot of AA cost either. I know you can at least buy through Rank 4 at level 70.

This is level 6 Theft of Essence, which is what I have. There are 6 levels.
Increase Chance to Avoid Melee by 26%
Increase HP when cast by 4500
Increase Max Hitpoints by 4500
Increase ATK by 130

I keep DS, B/O, Rathes Strength, Iceflame line, Guard line and Brimbody buff on the pet at all times. It can get to be a pain swapping out the short duration buffs so I ended up buying more spell slots.

For Beza/Zeka I use
RS
Bolt
Fickle
AtA
DS line
Brimbody
Siphon line
Pet Guard line
Spell you don't have access to yet (Chaotic/Thaum)
Pet heal or Pet Promised Heal

I would pull one at a time with Malo (AA or spell) and engage pet. I would chain fickle and AtA hoping to get GoM procs and send out the RS. I would only Bolt when I had a fickle proc. When I would get a GoM proc at less then 20% mob health, I would pull the next mob and engage a new RS, hoping the pet would finish off the previous mob before RS poofed. I wasn't able to use the Bolt line and RS as much as I would have liked to due to my mana pool. This was the efficient way for me. I would have the pet constantly tapped as well.

My approach was full out until the mob was dead. Without mercs you really can't sit back and let the pet do the work. Had to nuke it to death or play healer.

When I was soloing back then in the zones, no merc either, I would save my pet aa's for those "Oh smurf" moments.
Image Image
Oniuyen_of_Test

Post by Oniuyen_of_Test »

Love theft of elements aa.
That is woah nice... Not sure if anyone knows how to keep ToE up on pet all the time, but it is possible
Oniuyen Dipp
70th Magi of Intended Consequences
Test Server
Magelo
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Oniuyen_of_Test wrote:That is woah nice... Not sure if anyone knows how to keep ToE up on pet all the time, but it is possible
To steal a quote from the old boards...

Fight Club dammit, Fight Club!
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Dadani wrote:For Beza/Zeka I use
RS
Bolt
Fickle
AtA
DS line
Brimbody
Siphon line
Pet Guard line
Have you by chance ever considered putting your lower level AtA spell in your line-up as well as RcS? Although it's something of a hassle to keep two lower level spells memmed rancorous servant will hold up pretty well on its own.

My typical spell line-up for beza/zeka/thall is something like:
AtA
AtA
Iceflame/DS
Earthen Stance
Twincast
mod rod
siphon
Promised Renewal
RcS
RbS
Fickle
Bolt
iwantedapet
Magician

Post by iwantedapet »

Oniuyen_of_Test wrote:Love theft of elements aa.
That is woah nice... Not sure if anyone knows how to keep ToE up on pet all the time, but it is possible
you wouldnt mean hitting our pet with the lvl 9 ward summoned nuke to process the ToE on pet before pulls would ya ? :D
Oniuyen_of_Test

Post by Oniuyen_of_Test »

Merlaina wrote:
Oniuyen_of_Test wrote:That is woah nice... Not sure if anyone knows how to keep ToE up on pet all the time, but it is possible
To steal a quote from the old boards...

Fight Club dammit, Fight Club!
/em recites the first rule... doh
Oniuyen Dipp
70th Magi of Intended Consequences
Test Server
Magelo
Dadani
Conjurer

Post by Dadani »

Tweelis wrote:
Dadani wrote:For Beza/Zeka I use
RS
Bolt
Fickle
AtA
DS line
Brimbody
Siphon line
Pet Guard line
Have you by chance ever considered putting your lower level AtA spell in your line-up as well as RcS? Although it's something of a hassle to keep two lower level spells memmed rancorous servant will hold up pretty well on its own.

My typical spell line-up for beza/zeka/thall is something like:
AtA
AtA
Iceflame/DS
Earthen Stance
Twincast
mod rod
siphon
Promised Renewal
RcS
RbS
Fickle
Bolt
Before I did the factioning to get RbS I did used to have a couple older spells up for the previous levels GoM.
I really haven't been playing anymore. I have let most of my accounts expire. Just waiting for the last two to expire now. EQ just isn't fun for me anymore with the limited playtime. I still haven't got some SoF spells yet due to the time sinks to complete the stupid factioning. Mainly why I quit playing.
Image Image