Spell and AA poll

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Spell and AA poll

Post by Merlaina »

Alright everyone, the poll for what spells and AAs you'd like to see in the next expansion is up and running. It's ugly, I admit, but I was going mainly for functionality, not looks. Your IP address is tracked by the poll so that you can only vote once (it also tracks submission time). It's not a perfect system, but it's the best I could do without writing some crazy registration system or doing something in-game to register players.

The web site is www.emagepoll.info. I had a bit of a snafu registering the domain name, so please note that it's just Emagepoll.info and not EQmagepoll.info. And I went for the .info domain because it's way cheaper :).

Please note that it's a fairly long poll, with about 110 items to vote on. It shouldn't really take you that long, about 10-15 minutes, but it's all on one big page so make sure you can complete the whole thing in one sitting.

If you have any questions or problems please send me a PM on this forum or write a reply in this thread. Thanks!

Edit: firstly, just as a note this is in no way an official SOE poll. This is completely community driven. Secondly, I will be closing the poll at the end of the month, so you have until midnight, July 31st to get your vote in.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Spell and AA poll

Post by Voragath »

Pet DI is listed twice in this survey.

"AA for a pet Divine Intervention - self explanatory "
"aa pet DI - self explanatory "
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Ah, thanks for the catch! I basically just copy-pasted the lists compiled in the spells and AA threads and didn't even notice. I'll get that removed right away. Thanks!
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

No problem. :)
Danille

Post by Danille »

Completed poll. Nice work too. I really appreciate the time and effort that you put into this.
Impressive.
Msha
Magician

Post by Msha »

Completed poll.
Msha Flamethrower
85 Magician
Wind of Tranquility
Antonius Bayle Server
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Your poll results have been submitted. Thanks!

Great job on the poll Merlaina and it looks pretty to me :D

The results that will be posted to the Sony forums is only going to be like a top 10 right?

IMO it is one thing to share the entire poll results with the magician's forum readers, but over large data dumps to people who have little time to spend on us tends to be a turn off.

A targeted top 10 or so would make us seem more decisive as to our serious request.

Sued...
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

That's a good question Sued. I looked at the results thus far and it's largely what you'd expect: lots of support for extending/upgrading existing lines, and a few topics that have been highly vocalized on here (mana regen, useful elemental forms). I think we should include all of the "standards" plus maybe the top 5 spells and top 5 AAs that are not just pure upgrades to existing lines. If we want we can send them a link where they can view the complete results as well, but I'd rather we just send them the "highlights".

But I do have a request for everyone: get the word out about this poll. Right now we're looking at 13 votes, one of which had no name so I'm debating if we include that or not (input on that issue is welcome, and I have since added some javascript requiring a name). 13 votes is hardly enough to approach the devs with any kind of authority. I know it's only the first day, but before the poll ends I'd really like to see at least 100 votes cast, and preferably a couple of hundred. So everyone please hit your local mage channel, and occasionally bring it up in the serverwide channel.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Thank you for putting this pole together. Although my limited playtime is split between two classes (mage and sk) I still want to see my two favorite classes not only survive but thrive.

Does anybody know if there's a way to send out an ingame e-mail to mages that don't visit these forums or even join the serverwide chatchannel to tell them about this pole? Also would it be ok to post your pole to other message boards where people talk about boxing mages? I know several people on the evilgamer.net boards box mages and IMO their input would help but I don't want to step on toes if you'd rather keep this pole about mage mains.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Tweelis wrote: Also would it be ok to post your pole to other message boards where people talk about boxing mages? I know several people on the evilgamer.net boards box mages and IMO their input would help but I don't want to step on toes if you'd rather keep this pole about mage mains.
Spreading the word is good IMO, but I would be cautious about putting the link on boards not set up for a predominantly mage audience.
Lots of players out there who don't think we should have what we already do, much less getting upgrades.
I think there is a real danger for the magicians are overpowered crowd to skew the poll if we don't keep some control over who votes.
Members of the old and current mage tower have been the drivers in class representation for many years now, I see no reason to change or dilute that.
Merlaina wrote: I looked at the results thus far and it's largely what you'd expect: lots of support for extending/upgrading existing lines, and a few topics that have been highly vocalized on here (mana regen, useful elemental forms). I think we should include all of the "standards" plus maybe the top 5 spells and top 5 AAs that are not just pure upgrades to existing lines. If we want we can send them a link where they can view the complete results as well, but I'd rather we just send them the "highlights".
My thoughts on what "SHOULD" be sent to the DEV's.
The "NEW" things that we feel will give us more DPS/Survivability, etc.

I have never seen an expansion in which we got level increases and did not get an upgraded BOLT spell or MAGIC spell, or BURNOUT spell or for that matter, once a new spell line has been implemented, we have gotten an almost automatic percentage upgrade for the next expansion to continue the spell line.
Sending SoE a top 10 list where we say "Magicians want an improved Bolt spell" is a wasted slot on the top ten list IMO, and gives the perception that we like the things we have so much that our class would be happy if all they did was upgrade existing abilities.
Now when the BETA mages see the initial spell list and start testing nukes, burnout, iceflame, etc, there should and will be feedback as well as debate with the DEV's about whether or not the percentage increase they give us with the higher level versions of existing spells is sufficient.

Your poll list a lot of new ideas which in my opinion should comprise the majority if not all of the top ten NEW items on magicians’ wish list.

Alternatively you may want to consider two lists.

The post to DEV's can be something like -- here are the top ten existing abilities we would like to see upgraded --- and --- here are the top ten NEW abilities we would like you to consider giving the mage class.

Sued...