Companion of Necessity

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Janiblis
Magician

Companion of Necessity

Post by Janiblis »

Our "get out of jail free" spell, Companion of Necessity is great at level one.

What do we get with the second level of Companion of Necessity though?

The AA description does not allude to any benefit of going to level 2 with it.
EQ Mage Tower

Re: Companion of Necessity

Post by EQ Mage Tower »

Well, as I'm sure you know, the first level of Companion of Necessity pops out a huge fire pet, that will attack the mobs for approximately 6 seconds then it will do an AE stun w/ a mem-blur.

The second level of Companion of Necessity is the exact same, except the pet will attack mobs for approximately 12 seconds before doing it's AE stun w/ a mem-blur. Most Mages consider this marginal at best or downgrade at worst. This is due to the fact that the reason the time was increased was so that the pet would have 'more time to gain aggro on the mobs' so you could run away during the stun/mem-blur. However, in most Mages experience, this actually equates to we die before the stun/mem-blur goes off.
Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

This does not work as explained by EQ mage tower. Or didn't for me so far.

I have 2/2 CoN. It works great on 1 mob but if i have multiples they will all attack CoN, get stunned for a sec or 2 and then they will turn and run to me, all of them.

It always works flawlessly with 1 mob and always does what i described above with 2 or more mobs. Is the stun AE but the MB targeted? That would explain whats been happening in my cases. Or does the MB have a resist factor and i have just been unlucky?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I refuse to buy this AA plain and simple. The reason that we got this AA was so we could drop aggro off of mobs as fast as possible. Getting it rank 2 means the pet lasts longer before it decides to do the stun/blur which hinders my game play. It would also make it a lot less effective if you choose to pull with it. I have also NEVER had a problem with rank 1 grabbing aggro off of me even when I pull with malo or some other non-damaging attack.

Ottaro, you need to choose which mob you cast CoN more carefully I think. For example if there are 3 mobs in a grp, but the third mob is behind the first 2 then then cast CoN on the third mob and when that happens the first 2 come running at you while the third one comes also, but CoN hits the third mob as the other 2 continue to follow you b/c he is further behind then those other mobs. This does not always work, but I have had the most efficiency using the method above, and generally I pull every time I play/duo with a mage.

My 2cp. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

Piemastaj wrote:I refuse to buy this AA plain and simple. The reason that we got this AA was so we could drop aggro off of mobs as fast as possible. Getting it rank 2 means the pet lasts longer before it decides to do the stun/blur which hinders my game play. It would also make it a lot less effective if you choose to pull with it. I have also NEVER had a problem with rank 1 grabbing aggro off of me even when I pull with malo or some other non-damaging attack.

Ottaro, you need to choose which mob you cast CoN more carefully I think. For example if there are 3 mobs in a grp, but the third mob is behind the first 2 then then cast CoN on the third mob and when that happens the first 2 come running at you while the third one comes also, but CoN hits the third mob as the other 2 continue to follow you b/c he is further behind then those other mobs. This does not always work, but I have had the most efficiency using the method above, and generally I pull every time I play/duo with a mage.

I might have explained myself badly, all mobs stop and attack my CoN, they all get stunned. When stun breaks they all come running back to me.

I bought this .. well frankly because i had nothing better to buy ( i'm [..] that close to buying innate wisdom) i was hoping the rank 2 would mean CoN MBs more mobs and it would fix the problem on multiples i had seen. But its the same. I went to Icefall and pulled the 3 bears at the lake to test it. 3 come, 3 attack CoN, 3 get stunned, 3 unstun and run to me again, i kill 3 bear.

I rarely pull, my wife is a chanter and we always play together so she pulls and handles the adds. I was just curious as to why i'm not getting the result advertised.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

Ottaro wrote:
Piemastaj wrote:I refuse to buy this AA plain and simple. The reason that we got this AA was so we could drop aggro off of mobs as fast as possible. Getting it rank 2 means the pet lasts longer before it decides to do the stun/blur which hinders my game play. It would also make it a lot less effective if you choose to pull with it. I have also NEVER had a problem with rank 1 grabbing aggro off of me even when I pull with malo or some other non-damaging attack.

I might have explained myself badly, all mobs stop and attack my CoN, they all get stunned. When stun breaks they all come running back to me.

I bought this .. well frankly because i had nothing better to buy ( i'm [..] that close to buying innate wisdom) i was hoping the rank 2 would mean CoN MBs more mobs and it would fix the problem on multiples i had seen. But its the same. I went to Icefall and pulled the 3 bears at the lake to test it. 3 come, 3 attack CoN, 3 get stunned, 3 unstun and run to me again, i kill 3 bear.

I rarely pull, my wife is a chanter and we always play together so she pulls and handles the adds. I was just curious as to why i'm not getting the result advertised.
Is the CoN still up when the 3 bears run towrd you? Or, did they kill the CoN before he got to do the memblur?
Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

They do not kill him nor is he still up when they come to me.

Again, i pull by targetting 1 with malo line, he comes with 2 buddies, i hit CoN, he gets aggro, then stuns them (he then depops) they stay stunned a bit, when stun drops they reaggro me. I'm backed up more than enough to be out of aggro range and my air pet never attacked them. They are not close to any other mobs that could have transfered hate lists and no other mobs add (other than the original 3).

So far from the few that posted i'll go ahead and guess this is not normal. I'll do more tests when i get a chance and remember to, just to try and find a variable i'm not seeing other than the MB has a chance to get resisted and in the few times i've used CoN i've been unlucky with 1 in the bunch resisting.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

CoN can only blur up to 2 mobs. So if you cast it on a group of 3, up to 2 of those will be blurred, but they immediately assist the one who wasn't blurred and all 3 chase you.
Alanlya

Post by Alanlya »

Malleria has it right. If you want it to work with more than two mobs around, you'll have to pull extras out much further so they don't stick on the CoN, re-aggroing the first two. Or do it the other way, pulling two away and leaving one for CoN. Either way, you only ever want a maximum of two mobs aggro'd on the CoN, if you are using it to memblur.
Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

Malleria wrote:CoN can only blur up to 2 mobs. So if you cast it on a group of 3, up to 2 of those will be blurred, but they immediately assist the one who wasn't blurred and all 3 chase you.
Ahh, thank you Malleria.