Pet Hold Etc

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Sampi

Pet Hold Etc

Post by Sampi »

I'm confused (not an uncommon situation).

Can anyone explain the difference between hold, greater hold and regroup?

Thanks in advance.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Pet Hold Etc

Post by Voragath »

Hold means your pet will attack only when you tell it to but it will take out adds that aggro it during the fight and once it kills everything on it's aggro list, it stops and returns to you.

Greater hold means it won't attack anything unless told and will ONLY attack the one mob and come back when done regardless of what else is on it's aggro list.

Regroup tells your pet to stop everything and return to you and ignore aggro along the way. Interestingly, he keeps his aggro list so when you click it off he'll head back out. You need to hit back if you want to clear his aggro list. Handy for when pet needs to come back for a bit (for heals, reel mob in closer, etc.) then go back at the mob.

Edit: Heh, it took me this long to realize I said "real" instead of "reel." My English = Fail :lol:
Last edited by Voragath on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Maybe you can help me. I would like to have my pet..hold at any given time and comeback to me with nothing on it's hate list.

What buttons do I need to have pressed in and what button can i use to make it do that. I do not want to have to toggle on or off buttons. Just want it to be as simple as possible please.

Any advice?

EDIT: Figured it out with Benhan's help:

When you first make your pet, make sure that the following keys are toggled on: Follow, Focus and Ghold

Then make two hotkeys:

Attack key is

/pet attack

Hold key is

/pet regroup on
/pet back off
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

If you're not concerned with retaining the hate list, why have the regroup command on your hold key? A simple back off will instruct your pet to stop, then ghold and follow will ensure it ignores attacks and returns to you.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

The only change I made to any of my pet hotkeys after the upgrade was to add "on" to my pet hold key. So I still have 2:

1st - /pet attack
2nd line 1- /pet hold on
2nd line 2 - /pet back off

I just had to add the "on" at the end so as not to turn off hold accidentally. Been working fine thus far.
Andorrabell
Elementalist

Post by Andorrabell »

Malleria wrote:If you're not concerned with retaining the hate list, why have the regroup command on your hold key? A simple back off will instruct your pet to stop, then ghold and follow will ensure it ignores attacks and returns to you.
/wave Malleria
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

/hides!

Hey dora :)
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

I sent a PM to Sklug about getting the old functionality back, that led to the regroup command being re-introduced. There are a lot of advantages to using it. One of my main uses I have a mob in camp and I want to reposition the pet closer to me, I hit regroup. Pet stops and moves to me. Hit regroup again and it re-engages that mob without targeting it or any other intervention but pressing the button again. As it retains the aggro list if there were a few mobs on it (as in a quick lesson burn in Fortress), it will move to the next mob then the next without direction. I was missing that ability and glad we got it back. It basically is what pet hold was on day one. A way to stop your pet attacking and do nothing till you say otherwise, yet maintain the aggro list. This was the intended function of pet hold since day one that many of us older time mages ( I started in 99, and was there when pet hold was first introduced), came to use and reply upon. Clearing the aggro list as it did with inital changes caused issues for me. Put it on hold as usual, sent it in on some light blues, killed one, and the pet came back to me when the mob died, bringing all the adds. As light blues it was not an issue, but for some mages taking 2 hard mobs, it was a death sentence if you read the old board. Not anymore, hate list is intact, but I wish they would make pet taunt on a default. It always was and it should still be.

There are now ways to do almost anything you want with the pet commands, GHOLD is great if all you want to do it point and click on a raid for instance and not worry or even have to pay attention to bring the pet back when the mob dies, instead of hit pet hold like in the old days. One more key press but a bit more convientant.

Calebe
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

The new "regroup" is pretty close to the old "hold', but be careful.

Simply hitting your "regroup" hotkey before you get started will not keep pet from attacking in an AOE or any aggro situation.

Before, your hotkey may have been /pet hold or as many used /pet hold /pet back off.

The point was that he was leashed to you and that he would either i) stop whatever he was doing or ii) not do anything at all, until explicitly told what to do.

He was waiting attentively for your next order.

In order to get this to work the way I like it I use as my HOLD key /pet regroup on, /pet hold on.

I hit it once as usual when sitting around waiting for (whatever) and don't worry about seeing "taunting attacker Master" until you've told him.

For my ATK key I use /pet hold off, /pet regroup off, /pet attack.

This assumes focus is on. You can explicitly say to turn focus on or off in your hotkey but I have always liked toggling that manually, as there are some situations with a lot of adds where I want to turn focus off so he'll grab aggro from everyone and I can sit and re-mem, etc.

This is all pretty good now. You can play around with it some to see how it works. You can get some funky behavior with regroup that I don't recall off the top of my head, but that's moot with the hotkey setup I use.

Bara
Eandori Raintree
Elementalist

Post by Eandori Raintree »

I don't know about you guys... but Pet Hold is NOT always working for me. Pet holds... starts walking back to me with no target, then often gets hit again and re-engages. It's driving me nutts.