New Pet Myths?

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Xavierabevny
Trial Member

New Pet Myths?

Post by Xavierabevny »

Ok, I've read several posts that contradict one another and I need clarification.

1) Attunable armor (i.e. Defiant gear) poofs from your pet when you zone. True or false?

Honestly, I'm thinking this is a myth because I've given my lowbie pet various defiant weapons (pet is too low to use summoned weapons that proc except Fists of Ixiblat) and they do not disappear when I zone, so if the weapons don't poof, I suspect the armor doesn't either. I mean, why would the weapons, which are attunable, remain while all the armor poofed.

2) Pets have a range slot. True or false?

I've read as many posts that say, "yes", as posts that say, "no". So which is it?

Thanks
Xavierabevny
Aither
Elementalist

Re: New Pet Myths?

Post by Aither »

I used to give my pet runic javlins now i don't even worry about it. But as i recall from the old magician's tower, Yes pets do have a range slot. Now granted this is coming from the memory of an old mage with elemental dementia, so take it as you will :)
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

We can summon gear for every slot our pet has. This came about during a discussion with a dev last expansion or so when we were discussing the number of wrist slots*. Even if we did have a range slot on pets, giving the pet something for the range would result in a trivial gain.

Attunable armor is easy to test. Hit your pet with canni, then throw some armor on and hit your pet with canni again. Note the difference and the values. Zone, hit your pet with canni and see which it matches. Log off for more than 15 mins, come back, hit pet with canni and see which it matches.

*Pets have one wrist slot.
Xavierabevny
Trial Member

Post by Xavierabevny »

Thanks Aither. I was told from the beginning that pets DO have a range slot, but reading here and some other class sites, I read that they don't. Why do people post things like that? It confuses newbs like me.

Unfortunately, I have a low focus so equipping my pet with Defiant gear is worth it.

Voragath. Thank you. Can you tell me the spell line you mean when you say "canni"? Do you mean spells like Kindle? I'm only 60 at the moment so I need to test with spells below that level. Also, I'll have to wait to test it because I don't want to dismiss my current pet (can't suspend the pet yet).

Just from observation, I've noted that the pet tanks MUCH better after equipping with Defiant and I think I'd notice if all that armor poofed. It would take away approximately 300 AC and 600 HPs. I think I would notice the difference. Plus, my current pet has two Defiant weapons equipped and they have not poofed since I equipped him. To those that say the armor poofs, explain to me why the attunable weapons do not.

Thanks for the info!
Danille

Post by Danille »

Pets have the following slots for gear!

primary weapon
secondary weapon
ranged
shoulder
leg
chest
head
foot
hands
arm
back
face
neck
1*single* finger
1*single* wrist
1*single* ear

Special note! At a certain point in your pet-summoning life, magician pets will stop equipping shield and two-handers. This happens at a point (sometime in the 20s/30s) where the pet realizes that a two-hander or a shield would severely hamper his DPS by not letting him dual-wield. As a result, it won't equip any two-handers or shields, simply destroying them.
Last edited by Danille on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Elemental Draw is the version of pet canni you'd be using: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spel ... spell=5133
Xavierabevny
Trial Member

Post by Xavierabevny »

Thanks everyone for helping a newb with this confusing topic.

And do you know why its confusing? Because people post such misleading and erroneous garbage. Stop that! Its not fair to us who are new and trying to learn to be forced to wade through the misinformation simply because of other people's ignorance. If you don't know for certain, then shut up. Don't post. Don't spread the half-baked rumor you heard from someone. Let the experts have the floor. /rant off

Thanks to the nice people here (I mean the expert people) and my husband, I have the definitive TRUTH.

- pets DO have a range slot.

- attunable armor does NOT poof when you zone or camp.

Thanks so much, Xavierabevny
Stephen51

Post by Stephen51 »

Voragath wrote:We can summon gear for every slot our pet has.
What can we summon for the range slot?
Last edited by Stephen51 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Stephen51 wrote:
Ok, that was confusing. What I was trying to say is: if we can summon gear for that slot, the pet has it. Also, to address your question: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spel ... spell=1401 is the spell we use to summon gear for the range slot. Useless in today's game probably. The spell is Summon: Shard of the Core and is a meager +15 Cold and Poison save.
Yaddab
Elementalist

Post by Yaddab »

Voragath wrote:
Stephen51 wrote:
Ok, that was confusing. What I was trying to say is: if we can summon gear for that slot, the pet has it. Also, to address your question: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spel ... spell=1401 is the spell we use to summon gear for the range slot. Useless in today's game probably. The spell is Summon: Shard of the Core and is a meager +15 Cold and Poison save.
Except Shard of the core is Class: All not Class: None. I would not classify it as primarily a pet item.