pet hate weapons

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
bluejaye
Elementalist

pet hate weapons

Post by bluejaye »

an sk buddy of mine always gives his pet the hate weapons because he thinks that the hate is transferred to him, not given to the pet. the same would be true for aggro reducing weapons. is this how it works? i always thought the pet would get the hate or aggro reduction, not the pet's owner.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: pet hate weapons

Post by Tweelis »

The pet gets the hate, not the owner. Some mages give their pets the aggro weapons so the gargoyle pet wont' get aggro. I once read that if a pet dies all the aggro is transferred to the owner but that's just a rumor IMO until I see some substantiated proof otherwise.

edit: Tell your sk friend to go to www.evilgamer.net to learn about aggro.
Last edited by Tweelis on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Pet hate weapons do a pretty good job of minimizing the chance of pulling aggro off pet when you utilize twincast too.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

I guess it's how you look at it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a long time since I played a tank class consistently, however if the pet is using hate weapons and running top of the hatelist, 1 successful taunt from the SK would put him at pet's hate + 1. So even if the pet's hate is not his directly, he/she could still use it to his/her benefit. But an SK should easily be able to out aggro his/her pet with little effort.
bluejaye
Elementalist

Post by bluejaye »

thanks for the responses. he already trolls evilgamer enough. i'll have to play with the hate weapons and see if i can use servant more when pet tanking. yesterday, my pet was the main tank in a temple group, and the servant doesn't last long when it pulls aggro. i read the same thing about hate being transferred to the owner when pets die. i also guessed this was true. i first noticed it in underfoot when our servants weren't able to off tank adds long enough to be useful cc, and i got summoned as soon as they were killed. if i didn't get the gargoyle hate, i'd guess the healer would be above me on aggro.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Sillaen wrote:I guess it's how you look at it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a long time since I played a tank class consistently, however if the pet is using hate weapons and running top of the hatelist, 1 successful taunt from the SK would put him at pet's hate + 1. So even if the pet's hate is not his directly, he/she could still use it to his/her benefit. But an SK should easily be able to out aggro his/her pet with little effort.
Yea, that's pretty much the gist of it. If the pet dies, then the pet is off the agro list entirely. The agro the pet generated doesn't transfer to the owner of the pet. But in the situation Sillaen mentioned would really be the only way to maximize a pet's threat to a tank's advantage.

I've tested this in the past by letting my pet die after it had plenty of time to generate a ton of threat on a mob. I do nothing to it myself other than malo, but I used my cleric bot to throw a couple nukes in on the mob before the pet died. Once my pet died, the mob ran straight for the cleric and not me, even though I was standing inbetween where the pet was and my cleric was. If my pets threat transferred to me, I should have EASILY had more than enough threat where the mob should have stopped to attack me instead of running through me to get to my cleric.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

bluejaye wrote:my pet was the main tank

i'd guess the healer would be above me on aggro.
Not necessarily. If your pet was the main tank, than that would mean your healer was healing your pet primarily. Healing pets only generates a single point of threat (it used to not generate any). There was a bug a while back that ended up causing full healing threat when healing pets, and there was a pretty large outcry by both pet classes, and healers at the time because it never used to generate any threat when healing pets. So the devs changed it back so it was similar to how it worked before, but instead of it generating no threat at all, it would generate 1 point of threat instead of none (to prevent exploitation of the mechanic). That's why you got summoned after your gargoyle died, because I'm assuming you were nuking as well, and since your healer only had 1 threat from only healing the pet, obviously you would have had more from the nukes you had thrown in.
Last edited by Darkenr on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluejaye
Elementalist

Post by bluejaye »

the situation wasn't exactly as you're describing. there was a real player tank. 3 come in on a bad pull. i send rs at one of the adds, followed by host of the elements. i then assist the main tank and burn his target, tabbing back to the third to cast rs as soon as it refreshes. in the meantime, the cleric is frantically trying to keep the tank alive with 2 beating on him while the third eats my pets as quickly as i can cast them. eventually, there are no more pets to throw at it, the main tank is still taking damage from 2, and i get summoned. in sod in a situation like this, i could keep up to 2 adds occupied, one with host and one with chaining rs.

by no means am i questioning your testing. it's always good to find out assumptions you've made are inaccurate. the healer was getting heal aggro from healing the tank, not a pet. i didn't as much as malo the add. the only thing i did was throw pets at it. any other spell casting was directed at a mob that was engaged with a player tank, not a pet. this happened a few times, and i couldn't figure out why suddenly i was getting summoned when attempting to cc with swarm pets. my guess was because in sod, more of the swarm pets lived until their timers ran out while in uf they were all killed.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

As long as a player character is on a mob's agro list, you'll get heal agro for healing a player. So having 2 mobs in the camp, of course you're going to get summoned because you've been healing a player character which generates threat, so as soon as your pets lose the agro generated from those pets and if the tank didn't at least generate some threat on that second mob, of course the person doing the healing is going to be summoned immediately. Unless I'm missing something else here that you're talking about. I'm talking about purely healing a pet and how it generates threat, not when healing a player character is part of the mix. As soon as a player is healed, it generates full healing threat. If only healing a pet is happening, then only 1 point of heal threat is generated.
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

i find the dps weapons create more aggro than the hate weapons