Best items for level 92 mage?

Anything relating to the physical - equipment, class balance, etc.
Arterian
Magician

Best items for level 92 mage?

Post by Arterian »

Hi all,

I'll be 92 shortly, and with all the new req 92 rec 95 items now in the game, I was curious what the best items for a mage would be.

I'm especially interested in what primary most of you roll with, and if you think 2hb or 1hb with shield is a better combo?

Thanks all!
svenalo
Arch Magus

Re: Best items for level 92 mage?

Post by svenalo »

Someone parsed or calculated a while back that a 2hb with mana return focus and 2 mana return augs in that item was about the best combo for us...that was right after HoT came out if I recall correctly. I am not sure if that changed since that was posted though...think it is over in the SOE mage forum...
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Post by deadman1204 »

What about group items that only have one augment slot?
The OP isn't speaking to raid items
Last edited by deadman1204 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felinya
Magician

Post by Felinya »

Whats the difference in mana/spell dmg/hps? That will tell you what's best for you. Now if you want to maximize your mitigation you should absolutely go with 1hander + shield....granted the benefit isn't anywhere near what it is for tanks but it does make a difference. You're not supposed to get hit but you do from time to time so you might as well plan for it. I'm new to mages but I'm talking from experience as a tank and nec.
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Post by Potawatomi »

For primary, go with the Bloodclaw Staff. No other two hander from RoF is better. You'll also be hard pressed to find a better 1h/shield combo in Rof that beats the Bloodclaw staff Spell damage or mana wise.

Edit, still half asleep and saw only 92.

For now go with http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item ... tem=108089 for primary and http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item ... tem=107941 for secondary. Once you hit 95, get the bloodclaw staff.
Last edited by Potawatomi on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

Potawatomi wrote:For primary, go with the Bloodclaw Staff. No other two hander from RoF is better. You'll also be hard pressed to find a better 1h/shield combo in Rof that beats the Bloodclaw staff Spell damage or mana wise.
This... I have a bloodclaw staff, with strike of flames VI aug. Bloodclaw has the best stats for damage & mana ( + 10 mana regen, 4600'ish mana )

I use the bloodclaw for raids atm, although I'm switching now to an RoF 2hb I got in Grelleths ( war wielded grotesque ) for it's 18 Heroic STA ( vs 6 on bloodclaw ) & I'm gonna throw a STA/HP aug in it just for survivability.

In a group and solo setting I use Archons battle staff... SYmpathetic alleviating burst VII, with Murderer's Heart aug, sympathetic alleviating burst V, and it makes a big difference.

In groups & solo, with maxxed +Mana regen, all my self buffs, and Forethought, I'm +350'ish In combat mana regen, plus The Mana return Procs, plus Tweyne's stone of evocation, & Using primarily Servants, Rains, and damage shield ( bolt to fill gaps, and blistersteel when I wanna get a final strike on mob before it dies ) I can go a looooong time before going oom, half hour plus. & maintain 25k'ish DPS.

So I keep all 3 staffs, bloodclaw for dmg, grotesque for survivability, and Archons for regular grinding ( 90% of the time ).

Pick up a twitching Snood in the bazaar for Enhanced minion 12, and ask in general for people to fill 5 spots in your group so you can request the raid, they dont need to be in the zone to request, or participate at all ( easily soloable at 92 ) to get Tweynes stone of evocation, it will save you mana on every nuke. Get one of the +54 Mana regen clicky rings, too ( wrapping antenae ) & avoid using Spears when you can, although this isn't so easy until you get your 99 Rain. I still use the 92 Rain though, alot!, 1400 mana for 22000 dmg is a nice ratio ( 29000 is your fighting more than one mob ).
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

oops.
Last edited by Cielli on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

Looking at what you jsut posted I would think you would tell them to get the conj spec aug as well. Especially with you are mentioning mana per dmg. Most the spell people use for eff are conj.

Personally I love using spears. I don't have issues in a group setting with mana unless extrememly fast pulling group and even than I think I could make it last 30 mins without a break because mobs are dying so fast. Also, I am not casting a bunch of spells per mob. Also, when computing mana usage per damage, you ahve to understand that larger spell benefit more from your foci and m pres, so you can not use flat numbers. I think crit damamge is around 3.4 times the focused spell amount. So a 20K spell will get mroe from that than a 10K spell. Also m pres is a % off, so a 3K spell cost will save more mant if 30% off than a 1.5K spell. If you are running out of mana after 30 mins you are probably running a good spell set. If you are saying I never go below 80%, I would say you are running a bad spell set and you should add more DPS to it.
Last edited by Fleiss on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.