Change to Jolting Blade

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Mindrix
Conjurer

Re: Change to Jolting Blade

Post by Mindrix »

Voragath wrote:
Mindrix wrote:Dex is the only thing that would help proc rates on the pets. Or Bard Fierce Eye.
I'd also like to add that you should look at all the weapons together. You'll notice that they are all the same but just different graphics and procs. There is the exception that Jolting Mindblade has a higher base dmg.
Damage doesn't effect anything at this point. Only way it'd up base damage is if it was "1/2 base damage + 1". So, you'd need 350+ damage weapons for that to add anything.

They never really wanted to add much in the way of stats to the weapons.
Mindrix
Conjurer

Post by Mindrix »

Voragath wrote:
Mindrix wrote:Dex is the only thing that would help proc rates on the pets. Or Bard Fierce Eye.
I'd also like to add that you should look at all the weapons together. You'll notice that they are all the same but just different graphics and procs. There is the exception that Jolting Mindblade has a higher base dmg.
Damage doesn't effect anything at this point. Only way it'd up base damage is if it was "1/2 base damage + 1". So, you'd need 350+ damage weapons for that to add anything.

Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Mindrix wrote:
Voragath wrote:

Right, that was my point. Thanks for the clarification, lol Guess I didn't realize not everyone knows how pet dmg works with pet weapons.

Basically, all the weapons are the same except functionality (fire dmg, cold dmg, hatewipe, etc).
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

Note that one traditional reason for not increasing the power of pet weapons too much is that they could be used by all pets, not just mages. So the DPS added by pet weapons on a raid have to be compounded by the number of shamans, shadow knights, necros, enchanters, and beasts who use them.

Of course, with pet weapons adding 40 DPS it doesn't even matter if everyone in the raid had a pet. They're just not consequential, and since one mage can provide all the pet weapons in the world, they really can't be.

Personally, if I were to redesign pet weapons, I'd go something like this:

Summon <Flavor> Armaments: Normal pet weapons, summon anytime, 100 DPS

Summon Greater <Flavor> Armaments: Epic pet weapons, summon 1/day (coded like Cauldron)

The epic pet weapons would have different proc effects:

Fire Weapons: 400 DPS
Ice Weapons: 300 DPS, 50% Snare
Magic Weapons: 250 DPS, Stun
Earth (Rage) Weapons: Add Self-Heal Recourse to Hate Proc

They should probably be no-trade and temporary, though I wouldn't be against making them tradeable if there isn't anyway to "store" them.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Gnomeland wrote:Note that one traditional reason for not increasing the power of pet weapons too much is that they could be used by all pets, not just mages. So the DPS added by pet weapons on a raid have to be compounded by the number of shamans, shadow knights, necros, enchanters, and beasts who use them.
I don't really see how this is a bad thing exactly. It gives mages something else that is useful. It won't overpower a group since even if all 6 players in a group has pets you're adding a total of, what, 2400 DPS if each weapon adds 200? That's a decent chunk, but that's also a slightly extreme circumstance. And if you put a required level on the procs then you CAN limit them to mag/bst/nec pets, or at the very least exclude druid and SK pets. But again, I don't think in a group adding 400 DPS to that SK pet in this day and age will be any kind of a game changer.

In raids it would be fine because how many classes aside from the core pet classes even try to use their pets on raids? And how many of them survive long enough to matter? For most classes one AE and their pets are cooked, buttered, and served with a side of asparagus.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

Gnomeland wrote: Personally, if I were to redesign pet weapons, I'd go something like this:

Summon <Flavor> Armaments: Normal pet weapons, summon anytime, 100 DPS

Summon Greater <Flavor> Armaments: Epic pet weapons, summon 1/day (coded like Cauldron)

The epic pet weapons would have different proc effects:

Fire Weapons: 400 DPS
Ice Weapons: 300 DPS, 50% Snare
Magic Weapons: 250 DPS, Stun
Earth (Rage) Weapons: Add Self-Heal Recourse to Hate Proc

They should probably be no-trade and temporary, though I wouldn't be against making them tradeable if there isn't anyway to "store" them.
I like that idea, but items can't be no trade, pet won't use them. As for restrictions, weapons are already level based. Shammys can't use our last two 80+ level spell weapons, when it procs it says the pet doesn't have high enough focus or what ever. Same for sk and druids. I would love to see effects on weapons, but don't get you hopes up on a snare, they have tried to keep any decent form of that out of our hands forever, was told years ago, nobody want to hear to outrage with that.

May the elements guide and protect you.
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

My understanding is that dmg/dly of weapons don't make any difference in pet dmg, and that the only reason to toss weapons to a pet is for the procs.

If Mod2's affect pet dmg output more than the procs on our summoned weapons, yeah I could see using monk defiant weapons.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

Not only do mod 2s affect pets, was the bases of pet focus cloak that was used. You also get the stat bonuses. This is a tried and true method. Only issue with defiant gear now is I am not sure the Armor works any more since pets come geared. I need to test it. I do know the weapons work though.

Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Failcon wrote:Not only do mod 2s affect pets, was the bases of pet focus cloak that was used. You also get the stat bonuses. This is a tried and true method. Only issue with defiant gear now is I am not sure the Armor works any more since pets come geared. I need to test it. I do know the weapons work though.
Your pet will replace any armor you give it with the new armor if the AC of the new armor is higher. You can still give your pet defiant gear and it will equip it. You can see this by fully DSing your pet, and then give it a piece of defiant that has a +DS modifier. You'll notice the DS damage goes up by the amount listed on the armor.

I think for shielding, spell shielding, etc the cloak already gives max mods at EM6 (I seem to recall seeing the EM6 cloak somewhere and those were at +35% (edit: found it: Cloak of Enhancement VI), though I'm honestly not sure if pets are affected by the 35% cap players have, so maybe they do go higher.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

I had a long convo with a GM years back at Fan Faire, he said pets are not limited by caps like players are. They are closer to mobs and their crazy stats.