Why isn't RS twin-castable yet?

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Why isn't RS twin-castable yet?

Post by Gnomeland »

Code limitations or "it would be overpowered?" The former seems unlikely since you can already have more than one RS pet out at a time. The latter is perplexing given that they've buffed other classes' DPS so much and you can put out all of two casts in the duration of twin cast. Seems dumb that our strongest spell can't be twin-casted when other classes do not have such limitations.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Re: Why isn't RS twin-castable yet?

Post by Malleria »

They said it's a design decision in beta. Can take that to mean they think it'd be overpowered, or that they just can't be bothered redoing pet spawning code. Either way it's crap.
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

From past betas, I remember it being said it was a code limitation. Then with the changing of the guard, so to speak, it was then decided it was a conscious decision for it to not work.

Take that for what it's worth.
Sarenot
Magician

Post by Sarenot »

I would love to have twincast servant, I still feel cheated we did not get this , and I argued for it in Beta. However with Spear now available, it is highly unlikely twincast servant will also happen. At this point I would much rather push for abilities to enhance the single servant - particularly the idea that has been suggested time and again in Betas to add an ae haste component to Arcane Distillect, so that the dps of all swarm pets is boosted by the aura.
Mindrix
Conjurer

Post by Mindrix »

They've decided they don't want it to TC as a design decision, but that's mostly to get around the fact that they can't make it: 1) not work and 2) don't have to invest code resources to fix the pet spawning system.

Let's be clear, RS IS being twincasted. It's not the TC code that's the issue. It's the pet spawning code. This is the reason that Servant of Ro resets if you cast it while Host of Elements is being spawned. The system can't spawn more than 1 pet per second, on a character.
Conjurous
Elementalist

Post by Conjurous »

They could change the spell itself to have a small chance to pop out a 2nd garg similar to what bst spell does.
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Conjurous wrote:They could change the spell itself to have a small chance to pop out a 2nd garg similar to what bst spell does.
That's a neat idea. Maybe give the RS pet a 1% chance to explode into 3 smaller gargs that all do the damage of the normal, single, gargoyle. Or divide it up between the three so it's double the damage.

I can think of a lot of new spells, but the problem is with only one person in charge of them, it becomes hard to create new abilities for the dozen+ classes there are in the game. Also, it takes more effort to create something from scratch vs just copy/pasting a spell and changing the values to make it an "upgrade".
Mindrix
Conjurer

Post by Mindrix »

Conjurous wrote:They could change the spell itself to have a small chance to pop out a 2nd garg similar to what bst spell does.
It'd be a chunk of work for the spell Dev... but smurf, Prathun probably would have done that. Sadly, I'd never heard the idea until now (though I've know about the BST's spell for years, but that was tuned around that chance, so always a risk our normal RS would see the nerf for getting the TC chance, in that style). But it would work. Multiple pets can be spawned, but it has to call a specific spell. That's the problem with TC & RS. It just re-casts the spell, it doesn't cast a different spell (which would be required for multiples to come out).
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

I guess it comes down to devs not having the time to recode the twincast engine.

In terms of improvements specifically for RS. Well, I see a conflict with Spear and that's partly why I posted this question. Both of these spells are very expensive so it becomes a question as to which one you're gonna cast on a GOM proc. The decision used to be easy: RS because it was the biggest, baddest spell around. But now with Twincast and various AAs that improve spell dmg, the balance is swinging towards Spear, which is critting for upwards of 50-60k.

In that case I see RS falling into the background. It'll still be used because of its DoT nature in a hard-burn situation. But it won't be the power spell it used to be. We'll become more like wizards. That might be a good thing considering it makes our DPS easier to scale on raids.

In that case I want to see RS transformed into more of a crowd control ability, like it used to be originally but stopped being at some point due to scaling loss. Give it the ability to off-tank mobs in high-end zones again.

That'd be my vote for RS if Spear ends up taking over the GOM proc role due to coding reasons.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

I think during a burn, I will use the RS and spear. Mana is not a big issue on raids yet, at least for me. So with the mana regens we have now, I see mana heavy burns the norm. Where I feel the pain of the high mana cost is in my solo game. Either long, slow, mana efficient fights or faster fights and longer down time. With out getting lucky GoM close together it is just painful. I have to agree, when in a sustained fight or in a group, I only see using the RS for limited CC. With EM8 the RS is only a so so off-tank or temp tank. It would be nice to see him with a lil better tanking ability. DB mobs in HoT beat on him with ease, many times killing him. Mobs in convo and husk were about the same with the 85 RS. That is sad that this RS is being taken out by teir 1 mobs vs the 85 RS tanking teir 9 with the same effectiveness.

May the elements guide and protect you.