VoA AA List

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: VoA AA List

Post by Piemastaj »

Voragath wrote:Yes, FC is more damage. What this crit mod does is increase the crit damage you get from a spell. These don't share a timer. So, once FC wears off, you can click Vapor. Or, you can use vapor for a little boost if FC is down for some reason. Finally, FC only affects fire nukes while Vapor affects all spells.
All the core abilities share timers. Unless this is getting changed aswell. So again it has the same issue as Elemental Union.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Just checked beta. Ice Core and Stone Core are linked and Fire Core and Vapor Core are linked. Elemental union was not linked to anything.

There would be no reason to use VC then unless you are on a fire immune mob. I'll have to ask him again about the intent of this ability. As it stands, it's likely not to see much use when FC is right there for higher guaranteed damage.
Last edited by Voragath on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

Voragath, the really sad part is, I'm not sure if they understand why it would make it useless. I know for a fact that when this AA was talked about the devs were told it would be useless if it was linked to FC. While I agree its nice when your see a fire imune mob (once in a blue moon) to have some way to do "damage" to it as a mage, most mages just kinda took that time off anyway. Our magic nukes are so useless that nobody really tries to DPS with them anyway, so again, whats the point?

If the devs payed atten or really understood the class they would already know this. If they actually listened to PieMastaj and myself they would totally understand why it was stupid.

Yet you see what the class ended up with.

Savil
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Savil wrote:Voragath, the really sad part is, I'm not sure if they understand why it would make it useless. I know for a fact that when this AA was talked about the devs were told it would be useless if it was linked to FC. While I agree its nice when your see a fire imune mob (once in a blue moon) to have some way to do "damage" to it as a mage, most mages just kinda took that time off anyway. Our magic nukes are so useless that nobody really tries to DPS with them anyway, so again, whats the point?

If the devs payed atten or really understood the class they would already know this. If they actually listened to PieMastaj and myself they would totally understand why it was stupid.

Savil
I told him when he made it we wouldn't be using it unless it got unlinked. He doesn't want it stacking with Fire Core so that's how he did it. The devs are more about choices these days than stacking which screws over mages because there is so much melee garbage stacking already. It may suck now but we can always pitch for it to get changed. You act as though it is set in stone and that's a defeatist attitude, so I'd prefer they not listen to you.

Also, EU plus VC actually does make magic nukes viable again which was actually what many mages have been saying over the years. So, looks like they've been paying lots of attention. This is what happens when the class is fractured and why people need to start lining up better. If people had been focusing more on mage dps at raids and less on "well, i want to use this ability so make it better" things like this would not happen.

That is the point of getting a CRT program back on line and having a mage in the program. I was added too late to head off all the bizarre changes for VoA. The challenge now is to work with what we were given to make the situation better and also start working towards improvements for next expansion.
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

Hrmm, lets actually put a bit of *logic* into this. FC puts a spell buff icon on your buff slot, I'd bet the new one does as well. How about just making them overwrite each other so they could be used back to back?

One of the major balancing factors for mages *WAS THE VERY FACT* that our magic nukes sucked. Thats why we should have gotten the DPS bumps sooner, mages were always designed to be a one trick pony in that our DPS was always tied to fire. IMHO its a massive mistake to change that.

Savil
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Voragath wrote:
Savil wrote:Voragath, the really sad part is, I'm not sure if they understand why it would make it useless. I know for a fact that when this AA was talked about the devs were told it would be useless if it was linked to FC. While I agree its nice when your see a fire imune mob (once in a blue moon) to have some way to do "damage" to it as a mage, most mages just kinda took that time off anyway. Our magic nukes are so useless that nobody really tries to DPS with them anyway, so again, whats the point?

Savil
I told him when he made it we wouldn't be using it unless it got unlinked. He doesn't want it stacking with Fire Core so that's how he did it. The devs are more about choices these days than stacking which screws over mages because there is so much melee garbage stacking already. It may suck now but we can always pitch for it to get changed. You act as though it is set in stone and that's a defeatist attitude, so I'd prefer they not listen to you.

Also, EU plus VC actually does make magic nukes viable again which was actually what many mages have been saying over the years. So, looks like they've been paying lots of attention. This is what happens when the class is fractured and why people need to start lining up better. If people had been focusing more on mage dps at raids and less on "well, i want to use this ability so make it better" things like this would not happen.

That is the point of getting a CRT program back on line and having a mage in the program. I was added too late to head off all the bizarre changes for VoA. The challenge now is to work with what we were given to make the situation better and also start working towards improvements for next expansion.
There is not an acceptable weave in magic for us currently. No matter what it 'could' do for our nukes, it is moot considering we will lose entirely too much from not having our Strike spell or either of our spears. Our magic nukes do like 2k less then Bolt which isn't even in our current spell weave. The reason I just put up there is why the ability got changed. While the concept was quite good, Eli and Aristo did not plan it out at all. It does open up further avenues to explore but that would also mean we would be splitting up our resources to MAGIC, FIRE, PETs, SWARM. Almost making this like WoW where we need to pick and choose what we want to play for the night. I would much rather be split in 3 then 4, considering we would have to beg borrow and steal to get new magic nukes then they would have to be all linked up so we could not twist them together.

Elemental Union will only be good for allowing us to sustain at a higher DMG percent then we previously could. And really, we are quite good in sustained BEFORE Elemental Union. It was actually probably the area that could have used the least amount of upgrade and it got quite possibly the most amount of the upgrades. I love that our discs last over 2minutes, however it is a huge crutch to getting burst DMG. You can not possibly think we can get huge increases to a disc that lasts over 3minutes. Which is longer then anyother classes burn disc iirc. This was one of the reasons why we proposed to get a 1minute use disc to unload mana and do heavy DMG. It would give us more options then sustain, it would have allowed us to actually burn.

It is far from a defeatist attitude, I would say it is more of an acceptance attitude. Considering Eli was alrdy upset that we got such a huge increase over anyother class to our burn disc. I would imagine getting more changes will be quite difficult.

Any beta mages mind posting our new AA on the beta forums? Currently w/o internet until Comcast gets their stuff together and wouldn't mind seeing how they turned out. Thanks.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Piemastaj wrote:
Any beta mages mind posting our new AA on the beta forums? Currently w/o internet until Comcast gets their stuff together and wouldn't mind seeing how they turned out. Thanks.
I will post them later after raids. I couldn't get on earlier to get them because the patcher was jacked.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

PJ, I sent you a list but there are additions. Let me know if you still need them if your internet is still down.

Everyone else, I'm gonna hold off on posting December AA's here for a bit. Some of the aa's aren't working properly and there are still many changes to be made; making posting anything here an exercise in post editing. If you have beta access, please log in and test out the new aa's and offer feedback. There are some nice changes in there.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Voragath wrote:PJ, I sent you a list but there are additions. Let me know if you still need them if your internet is still down.

Everyone else, I'm gonna hold off on posting December AA's here for a bit. Some of the aa's aren't working properly and there are still many changes to be made; making posting anything here an exercise in post editing. If you have beta access, please log in and test out the new aa's and offer feedback. There are some nice changes in there.
Thank you, actually got internet back today lol. Was surprised to see Eli say they were on beta with 0 posts about them.

Bastler
Conjurer

New CoN?

Post by Bastler »

CoN: 1 Rank, 15 AA. Better CoN (Finally)

I think the overall agreement was that the upgrades of Companion of Neccessitiy were undesirable because they extended the time the comapanion was up.

So how is this better? As I am required to buy the undesireable lvl beforehand?