Spells

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: Spells

Post by Piemastaj »

Obilaan wrote:Who asks for these things? I could care less about an invis stone and can't even tell you the last time someone asked for one. If you are level 90 and you do not have a clicky or something etc. to get you invis pots etc. then you are a worthless player.

The quiver I could summon for my rogue but that is about it. A bow on anything but a ranger is for pulling only and as such who cares how much dmg it does. The range is the most important thing on a non ranger bow.

What I care about is pets, nukes, and dmg shields. The rest is fluff and good but not near as important. As the population of EQ slowly diminishes I solo or duo with my necro mostly. Not groups or raids (I wish), but duo's at most and as such I am ALL about pet tanking. How many hps, how much per hit / crit, pet stun spells, and estimated AC. :-)
Trust me, half the stuff we asked for in our first AA list I personally would not have sent off to the devs. Basically because most of it was useless/fluff. We need to consider more then 1 type of mage though. That can and has cost us in the past, but we can not dismiss it all because that is unfair to some of the mage population. We actually had it pretty good for VoA in terms of what mages wanted, so it cut down on some of the garbage AAs.

I am sure all mages would love if we asked for X thing we got it, but truth is that is far from the reality of this game. We ask and either get told no or we see that you need more in X area. Then we go back and see how we can make something to increase us there and so on. A lot of the times we get stuff no1 asked for an some of us are dumb-founded by it. Now the invis stone was popluar simply because it is one of the few things mages do get asked for on raids, and it is nice to be able to cast a clicky invis on ppl. Invis stone was actually talked about a lot in depth during HoT, and I believe some mage got it taken off of our list....

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

I agree with pie. I don't know about you but i never get asked for invis clicky

The three things (types of mages) I care about are 1. raid dps, 2. pet's ability to tank (and my ability to dps) when I xp or kill named 3. pvp

Some things like mod rods they FINALLY scaled up to current gaming standards effect #1 so I'm fine with that kind of utility.

From what I have seen there is nothing new just upgrades to old stuff. I just hope it is all scaled properly to match VoA. I think HoT was done pretty well in terms of pet tankability but I have been a little dissatisfied with our dps (both burst and long burn).
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

A lot of things asked for we didn't get, and some we asked for last expansion as in the fore mentioned invis stone we did get. The one item we all said could be deleted was the mod rod spell, unless it was on a different timer then the AA version there was no need for it. We still got it and the group version, and on same timer.

I can say there was not a lot of posts at all dealing with fluff items, they were for pets, DPS, and we got an explanations of which one was, the air pet stun capped at max level was intended. Confirmation of something that none of us wanted to hear. We are still pushing for cap + 2 to handle yellow conning mobs, but so far on deaf ears.

So don't get hung up thinking beta was about fluff spells. On day 1 of beta the targeted invis stone was in game, so dev time taken away to handle it was none. A lot of talk was on the 'of many line', and pets. As usual pet tuning was done very late into beta, but the earth pet from my trials looks solid, and the air pet is fine up to level 95 mobs, but that is it, want a yellow con mob or red? Use earth, yes the air pet can survive on yellow mobs, and I took a named with it, but the earth made it so much easier. So feedback that air should be able to stun non named yellow conning mobs. Maybe our combined voices will be heard.

Calebe
Sampi

Post by Sampi »

If that's the case, earth tanked yellow con mob much easier than air, would you recommend we use earth all the time over air when solo/molo? What about in group?
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Post by deadman1204 »

sounds like they wanted earth to have a use
so air is for leveling and slumming, earth for general tanking/soloing
water grouping
and flame....
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

One spell change I didn't see mentioned. In HoT, Spear was a 90 spell...the upgrade is a 92 spell. That means your focus from HoT, while it degrades, will degrade only 2 levels instead of 5 if you don't find an upgrade right away... That's a nice change - we get our DPS upgrade earlier in the grind (assuming you did 25 of alaran so you can buy rk1 right away).
Eladrel

Post by Eladrel »

svenalo wrote:One spell change I didn't see mentioned. In HoT, Spear was a 90 spell...the upgrade is a 92 spell. That means your focus from HoT, while it degrades, will degrade only 2 levels instead of 5 if you don't find an upgrade right away... That's a nice change - we get our DPS upgrade earlier in the grind (assuming you did 25 of alaran so you can buy rk1 right away).

:?

Sven, I think you are grinding to 95 too fast and youre half asleep :P

New Spear is 95.

Mages did good this time around...I definately see a paradigm change for mage dps.
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

According to this it is 92: http://home.comcast.net/~mathadon/Guide ... s_Mag.html

Anyway, does someone have a link to what the new optimised dps twist will be?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

When I was last on beta it was a 95 spell. Rasper's is not always 100% correct. Read the NDA is lifted post and I bolded the weave in my post there.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

No, it's still 95. I pulled my data straight from the spell file. Also, I just confirmed that I can not see it on the vendor even with 27 Alaran. According to Rasper, it is supposed to be visible with 25 Alaran.

I think, he may have gotten confused with the Druid spell Roar of Kolos which is level 93.

The only way it could be 92 is if the scroll is 92 which then would be bad and would need Aristo to fix it.