Next Expansion Spells

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
zbear
Trial Member

Re: Next Expansion Spells

Post by zbear »

well I would like to see some new pet weapons... some that do the same and proc a buff on us mages that can cause our next dd to do more damage or better yet.. gives us a twincast of our next dd.. its not a debuff timer.. its a short buff window buff that twincasts for us...
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

While this would be situational and some might say dont' waste time on it, I would like to see our abilities versus elemental/constructs increase.

The spell is okay, but not unique (druids have it) and the recourse is rare. I usually do not find room for it in my line-up unless i know that is all i am fighting. 2 to 3% chance is not enough to entice me.

With other classes ability to target certian mob type or undercons, I figure have all future pets come with some sort of slay elemental buff when summoned. If you pet is hitting an elemental/construct than it has a slay ability like pallies. If it is a buff than I can't see it as strong due to pallies have to spend a lot of AAs to get theirs up in strength. It could be an AA type buff or level of the spell coorilates to your worn pet foci when summoned. In either case make it perm buff.

I know this doesn't fix the overall DPS issues, but I honestly don't want to see anymore active spells. Just improve on what we have. It would have to blow my mind for me to want to want it. I want it passively built in, we have enough stuff we have to/can click throughout a fight. Why I prefer a long term buff with an ability over somethign completely new that requires activation and short term.
hokuspocus
Trial Member

Post by hokuspocus »

Since it's obviously already coded into our strike line (a mobs sees how many pets are on agro and the strike spell is directly affected by that) how about something like that on our RS line? Keep base pet as is but with more pets on agro it gets more hps and is harder to kill (always a pain seeing it die to AEs in raids) and it does more dps as well? More of a modification of a spell rather than a new one so should be fairly easy to implement.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

hokuspocus wrote:Since it's obviously already coded into our strike line (a mobs sees how many pets are on agro and the strike spell is directly affected by that) how about something like that on our RS line? Keep base pet as is but with more pets on agro it gets more hps and is harder to kill (always a pain seeing it die to AEs in raids) and it does more dps as well? More of a modification of a spell rather than a new one so should be fairly easy to implement.
That won't exactly work. The RS pet is a template like Goner is. Strike does a check at cast for pets on the hatelist of the target to determine the number of hits. To do something similar, would require Aristo to multiply the number of templates by the number of new RS pets per number of pets on hatelist. For example, 5 new levels to match strike means 5 times the number of existing RS pets and he's not going to go for that. The number of pet templates is already too large and takes a sizeable chunk of time to tune and make (which is why they don't like doing very many tuning passes).
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Voragath wrote:
hokuspocus wrote:Since it's obviously already coded into our strike line (a mobs sees how many pets are on agro and the strike spell is directly affected by that) how about something like that on our RS line? Keep base pet as is but with more pets on agro it gets more hps and is harder to kill (always a pain seeing it die to AEs in raids) and it does more dps as well? More of a modification of a spell rather than a new one so should be fairly easy to implement.
That won't exactly work. The RS pet is a template like Goner is. Strike does a check at cast for pets on the hatelist of the target to determine the number of hits. To do something similar, would require Aristo to multiply the number of templates by the number of new RS pets per number of pets on hatelist. For example, 5 new levels to match strike means 5 times the number of existing RS pets and he's not going to go for that. The number of pet templates is already too large and takes a sizeable chunk of time to tune and make (which is why they don't like doing very many tuning passes).
Well, what about using the same templates that are already there. Not every mage, even raiding mages have the highest tier pet focus out there, so what about programming it to just increase the focus strength of the RS pet based on the number of pets on its hate list? It would be a relatively minor dps increase, but a dps increase is a dps increase. It'll give just a little bit more powerful burst dps strength to mages when soloing as well, when popping servant + host + RS in a solo/group environment.

Of course the disadvantage to this obviously is it'll benefit the raid mages less and less the closer they get to having the max pet focus.
Last edited by Darkenr on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Darkenr wrote: Well, what about using the same templates that are already there. Not every mage, even raiding mages have the highest tier pet focus out there, so what about programming it to just increase the focus strength of the RS pet based on the number of pets on its hate list? It would be a relatively minor dps increase, but a dps increase is a dps increase. It'll give just a little bit more powerful burst dps strength to mages when soloing as well, when popping servant + host + RS in a solo/group environment.

Of course the disadvantage to this obviously is it'll benefit the raid mages less and less the closer they get to having the max pet focus.
That's what I'm saying. You can't do it that way. To make the pet do something different requires a new template. A template means a new pet. It's not "something the game checks against." So, using EM 9 summons one RS pet when you cast it and using EM 10 is another RS pet. Each one has their own stat and skill amounts. There is no way to make the game do something like this: summon pet 1000 if RS is cast and EM 9 is worn by player then make pet 1000 do +1000 per hit if 15 mobs on hatelist. If you want a pet to do something different based on some affect of the game, an entirely new pet with new stats and skills has to be summoned because they can't be changed after that.

The only way to change RS after summon is with buffs. It would have be something we actively cast after targeting the RS pet.
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

the devs can't keep the spell lines we have in order. From basic viewpoint of scaling the numbers.

I think they need to simplify our spells and look at modernising the spell lines we have to be comparable to other classes and the content. There are some that either need work or need to be left behind like our old dot or cauldron. Overall the spells did not get scaled up as they should have (excluding pets).

I know I'm on the record about this but a good example is our VoA summoned nuke. Clearly the devs either ignored it almost completely or do not understand it. Read its description. And it doesn't trigger theft of essence as it should. Not only that but the base damage of it is WAY too low to have such narrow applicability. If devs aren't going to modernise a spell line just be up front about it and drop it because I'd rather have nothing than a broken ability because we can waste our time on making good what we do have.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Voragath wrote:
Darkenr wrote: Well, what about using the same templates that are already there. Not every mage, even raiding mages have the highest tier pet focus out there, so what about programming it to just increase the focus strength of the RS pet based on the number of pets on its hate list? It would be a relatively minor dps increase, but a dps increase is a dps increase. It'll give just a little bit more powerful burst dps strength to mages when soloing as well, when popping servant + host + RS in a solo/group environment.

That's what I'm saying. You can't do it that way. To make the pet do something different requires a new template. A template means a new pet. It's not "something the game checks against." So, using EM 9 summons one RS pet when you cast it and using EM 10 is another RS pet. Each one has their own stat and skill amounts. There is no way to make the game do something like this: summon pet 1000 if RS is cast and EM 9 is worn by player then make pet 1000 do +1000 per hit if 15 mobs on hatelist. If you want a pet to do something different based on some affect of the game, an entirely new pet with new stats and skills has to be summoned because they can't be changed after that.

The only way to change RS after summon is with buffs. It would have be something we actively cast after targeting the RS pet.
I apologize if I'm still misunderstanding you so please correct me if I'm still wrong. I'm not saying it would be something that would change the pet on the fly "after" it's been summoned. I'm saying that it would basically increase the focus level of the pet based on how many pets are on the agro list "instead" of being based on the worn focus as long as it's higher than the worn focus. It would already use the templates that are there for the RS pets based on focus levels, so nothing would need to be changed, and no new templates would need to be made.

As soon as the cast is finished, there's a check before the RS pet is summoned to determine which template the pet will be summoned as based on the worn focus. We already know this much. This example adds another check based on how many pets are on the mobs agro list to determine which "focus" level it gets.

Example:

Say if there are 2 pets on the agro list it would summon as an EM8 RS pet.

In this case the worn focus is EM10 and since there are 2 pets on the mob's agro list (EM8), then the RS that's summoned is based on the EM10 focus since the worn focus is higher than the focus given by the number of pets on the agro list.

Same situation except this time there are 7 pets on the agro list. Say at 7 pets on the agro list equals EM12. So now when the mage casts his RS spell, it runs its check, and since 7 pets on the agro list (EM12) is higher than the worn focus (EM10) it would then choose the EM12 pet template for that RS.

Does that make sense how I explained it?
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Darkenr wrote: I apologize if I'm still misunderstanding you so please correct me if I'm still wrong. I'm not saying it would be something that would change the pet on the fly "after" it's been summoned. I'm saying that it would basically increase the focus level of the pet based on how many pets are on the agro list "instead" of being based on the worn focus as long as it's higher than the worn focus. It would already use the templates that are there for the RS pets based on focus levels, so nothing would need to be changed, and no new templates would need to be made.

As soon as the cast is finished, there's a check before the RS pet is summoned to determine which template the pet will be summoned as based on the worn focus. We already know this much. This example adds another check based on how many pets are on the mobs agro list to determine which "focus" level it gets.

Example:

In this case the worn focus is EM10 and since there are 2 pets on the mob's agro list (EM8), then the RS that's summoned is based on the EM10 focus since the worn focus is higher than the focus given by the number of pets on the agro list.

Same situation except this time there are 7 pets on the agro list. Say at 7 pets on the agro list equals EM12. So now when the mage casts his RS spell, it runs its check, and since 7 pets on the agro list (EM12) is higher than the worn focus (EM10) it would then choose the EM12 pet template for that RS.

Yes, that makes sense so I misunderstood you. That actually is a neat idea, though probably not workable. I'll ask about it.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Voragath wrote:
Darkenr wrote: I apologize if I'm still misunderstanding you so please correct me if I'm still wrong. I'm not saying it would be something that would change the pet on the fly "after" it's been summoned. I'm saying that it would basically increase the focus level of the pet based on how many pets are on the agro list "instead" of being based on the worn focus as long as it's higher than the worn focus. It would already use the templates that are there for the RS pets based on focus levels, so nothing would need to be changed, and no new templates would need to be made.

Example:

Yes, that makes sense so I misunderstood you. That actually is a neat idea, though probably not workable. I'll ask about it.
Even if it was possible, I doubt we would get much of an increase from that. We really do not gain that much DPS from upgrading pet focus levels. It would also take a fair amount of code work to do this, seems like it could be better used on other issues. Not to mention it kind of infringes, it would be like a melee popping a disc that made their weapons hit at a T4 raid level with only T2 raid weapons.

It is interesting, but I just feel the code work required (if it would even be possible) will be more then we should be willing to allow. I don't feel we should ask for quite a bit of time spent for a minor increase.

Just my thoughts though.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams