Next Expansion Spells

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Re: Next Expansion Spells

Post by deadman1204 »

either way, this is convenience not power, lets not ask for a short duration
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Is casting Burnout and Iceflame that hard that we need to ask for a buff for those 2? I mean srsly it takes about 10 seconds to have both of those up. For clerics its nice so they are not buffing 54 people up with 3 different spells. It is especially nice for when expansions are new and they do not all have the same rank 3 spells. For us, seems like a big waste of time to ask for it.

Shorter duration is vastly unnecessary, and would make this spell type even less desirable for us imho.
Last edited by Piemastaj on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

It isn't a waste, really, because it would be used. Now if they made single upgrades of each as well as the combined one, then that would be a waste. We should get upgrades...but either as singles, or as combined, but not both.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Voragath wrote:
svenalo wrote:Shorter duration? No...the cleric ones didnt come out shorter, where should ours? More mana? Fine as long as it is reasonable.
I was told by Crystilla they were. After the holiday stuff is done, I'll double check with her because maybe it was the other unification line (they have two). She also stated they were not too pleased with the duration change and maybe I misunderstood and she meant casting duration or recast. It is a much, much, larger convenience for them and it can hit a whole raid (if TGB-able) so there probably was reason. Her comments are what made me ask this question before just throwing it on the list.

I'm liking the feedback on this. Keep it coming =) Don't forget any new ideas or changes/tweaks to existing spells.
Tweaks: Upgrade Strike and put its dynamics back the way it originally was pre-VoA.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

svenalo wrote:It isn't a waste, really, because it would be used. Now if they made single upgrades of each as well as the combined one, then that would be a waste. We should get upgrades...but either as singles, or as combined, but not both.
Clerics got both. And really it is a waste of time. They last almost 2 hours, do we srsly need a 2 hour buff grped together? One that we only cast on our pet and nothing else.

Point is, does the current way work perfectly fine? Yes it does. Do we need other help and to not waste our time with something that takes maybe 10 seconds to cast? I am inclined to think yes.

The whole intent on clerics getting 2 mass grp spells for multiple spells is so they do not have to buff entire raids with 3 different spells. Much like shamans and their 4 spell buff. You can not tell me it is that necessary for us to get a spell made for 2 or 3 spells that we only have to cast on 1 pet.
Last edited by Piemastaj on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

No one said it was necessary. They said it would be convenient. Just like lots of other things are merely for convenience, for example our targeted summons.
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Post by deadman1204 »

one thing we aren't considering is devs consider how many spells each class gets. If we can cut these 3 buffs into one, we are more likely to get other new spells
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

Frankly, I'd like to see some lines discontinued in order to make way for new spells. An example is famished flames. A 10 min recast damage shield that does less damage than one cast of surge of arcanum is bad, not to mention it doesn't even affect our pets. I don't have enough spell slots as it is so this is never memmed. Get rid of it.

Another spell that I almost never mem is molten skin. I know the concept behind it - if the mob resists everything you can at least add some dmg via this - but in today's game this is basically never the case and surge is so much better that it's laughable. I know some people would say, well, 500 situational DPS is 500 situational DPS but 500 situational DPS to me is so down in the list of priorities that I don't think it's worth it to continue the line.

Grant sphere of air: I don't see why we keep getting upgrades to this line. The only purpose of this line is to give lower level players a invis clicky, in which case one clicky is enough. I don't need a new version of it every expansion.

Finally, the rain spells: we've gone through them before and while they're a longstanding line of the mage class, the devs' refusal to do anything about them not getting focused means that they're just not keeping up on the damage scaling. That said this would be the last line in this list I'd want discontinued - I think they still have a place albeit not a very important one. I'd remove them only if we're going to get better spells in exchange.

All in all, I think that new ideas are great but that we need to keep the spell list relatively lean. Some spells need to go out for other spells to come in. Successful experiments like chaotic assistance should be kept while unsuccessful ones like famished flames should be discarded.
Last edited by Gnomeland on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

With regard to Grant Sphere of Air, we don't get a new version every expansion. What we got this expansion was it as it's own thing instead of stuck inside the bag of assorted junk from the one HoT grant spell, which was a dumb place to put an invis ring in the first place.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Piemastaj wrote:Is casting Burnout and Iceflame that hard that we need to ask for a buff for those 2? I mean srsly it takes about 10 seconds to have both of those up. For clerics its nice so they are not buffing 54 people up with 3 different spells. It is especially nice for when expansions are new and they do not all have the same rank 3 spells. For us, seems like a big waste of time to ask for it.

Shorter duration is vastly unnecessary, and would make this spell type even less desirable for us imho.
It's only for convenience and we are already having to mem lots of spells to start our day. The idea is having less spells to have to use when getting started and these types of things have been done in the past (just like why pets came summoned with gear). I wouldn't bring it up if unification spells didn't already exist. Since they do, it's almost a straight copy/paste and would take no time to do. This kind of spell would be in addition to the existing ones.

I'm also looking at bundling BO, Iceflame, and the Symbiosis lines.