DPS Improvements in January

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Savil
Arch Mage

Re: DPS Improvements in January

Post by Savil »

Shardin, thats the point, they have *no* strategy. They have proven time and time again they have a poor understanding of how the game works and how ADPS works (hello pallies! sorry elidroth :)

Savil
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Shardin wrote:Yeah it seems like mobs have so many hp now and we don't have the dps to take them down. Then other classes just mow them down like nothing. I'd like to see mages be the best dps or show up on top 10 parses on raids but we aren't even close to a lot of other classes now. It's only going to get worse as melee get their t4 raid weaps. I just wish I knew what the developers strategy is. Is it, for example, to make mages 5th rank on burst and 6th rank on slow burn or do they have some kind of chart that sorts out the target dps for specific classes?
Except for named, we have no problem mowing them down anywhere in VOA, and as for named if there is some class that is soloing/moloing T3 and T4 named I want to know which that is because I frankly haven't seen it and don't believe it can be done.

As for the rest of what you said, we've asked repeatedly for a statement of where dev's think our relative rank should be to other classes in burn, sustained, and so on, but so far we have at best some vague anecdotal comments about where we might relate to wizzies and necros in burns and sustained...and I suspect they don't want to post what that is knowing it would probably cause an uproar.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

svenalo wrote: As for the rest of what you said, we've asked repeatedly for a statement of where dev's think our relative rank should be to other classes in burn, sustained, and so on, but so far we have at best some vague anecdotal comments about where we might relate to wizzies and necros in burns and sustained...and I suspect they don't want to post what that is knowing it would probably cause an uproar.
This is true. They are the same way when discussing this with the CRT's. They'll say things like "three classes were where we wanted them, 2 were a little higher than we wanted but they are ok, and one other one we were looking at was just plain nuts over-the-top." But then, they won't even say if the test was representative of a burn or a sustained scenario, where/who their data came from, or how old the data is. Just far too vague. It's all really a statement to prove they are monitoring dps between classes, it seems.

I agree that it takes an element of fun from the game but there are many people who's fun are in the top-end guilds where a class that is broken has to sit out and that's not fun. This concerns me a great deal as any mage who performs on top of their game and enjoys doing that should not be forced to sit because the mage class has broken dps but we can't sit and say, "we should be at x but instead are m on dps," in order to get the devs to fix it. It's all up to their whim on whether they are ok with it and not whether we are ok with it.

On top of that, relative positions of one class to others and their roles can change. Today's burst class may be tomorrow's sustained and today's dps topper could be tomorrow's utility back of the bus dps'er.
Last edited by Voragath on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tlobad

Post by Tlobad »

My Wizard friend keeps joking about triple cast as a fix. While I think that would be OP for Wizards in groups more casts per TC AA or further hastened TC AA's would help .

Is Twincast really that overpowered now? Or extend the duration of our spell verison.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Tlobad wrote:My Wizard friend keeps joking about triple cast as a fix. While I think that would be OP for Wizards in groups more casts per TC AA or further hastened TC AA's would help .

Is Twincast really that overpowered now? Or extend the duration of our spell verison.
I view Twincast as the caster version of double attack. I see no reason not to ask for Triplecast, as it would then be the caster version of triple attack. However, the devs made ITC because they were unhappy with the results of the spell version (good and bad).

Triple cast, if done right (i.e. learning from Twincast) could really help out caster v. melee gaps. If it were created, it'd likely make it to more than just our class so wouldn't really fix our dps relative to other casters :cry:

IMO, Triple cast is a fair thing to keep asking for.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Tlobad wrote:My Wizard friend keeps joking about triple cast as a fix. While I think that would be OP for Wizards in groups more casts per TC AA or further hastened TC AA's would help .

That is the issue. You won't see group melee putting up the same numbers as a raid melee will. They are lacking weapons, possibly general class knowledge, Augs, AAs that a raid melee will be guaranteed to have. Caster's do not require as much to be maxed out currently so something like Triple cast will just destroy the group game. Not even require as much per say, but rank 2 spells are only like 10% lower then a rank 3 spell is. So, casters are basically wielding a T3 raid wep at all times while group melee are in a T4 group weapon which generally won't touch a T2 raid wep in ratio. Not to mention group focuses are quite solid atleast at the low-end compared to raid foci.

It is kind of the same argument why we can not have X nice things because we are great in the group game. IDC anyway you want to spin it or talk about it us having a pet severely hinders any chances of us getting properly tuned.

Don't get me wrong Triple cast would be great and is indeed long over-due to be put into the game, it just has huge ramifications on the group game. Best possible way to do it would be requiring 18+ people in a raid to cast the Triple Cast spell. Would do nothing for the group game (which casters are lacking at aswell so kind of hurts there), but would be a nice boon to the group game.

As to caster version of melee form, melee aren't doing 160k a hit. And that would be the issue with us getting Triple cast and mages doing near 120k a nuke with wizards pushing 160k. Would be almost half a mil with one nuke, and if it lasted along the same lines as reg twincast you would be seeing 4 to 5 nukes in that range being done, which is a major hurdle to try and jump to get it implemented. Because Casters need help in the raid game, but that would probably be too much help (atleast for wizards).

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Post by deadman1204 »

what if it was a passive abilitiy - double or triple cast
Just like how melee don't control when they perform a double triple check, what if we simply had a double cast skill
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

A lot of mage DPS issues could be fixed if the lazy devs would just fix TC for RS pets, but they keep yelling how this is IMPOSSIBLE. I've lost count how many things I've seen added to EQ over the years after years of the devs telling us how impossible it would be to add.

IMHO its not impossible.. its lazy. Clearly it takes more talent than adding melee weapons with *stupid* ratios or adding completely unbalanced AA's without any thought given to how they will work with ADPS.

Then again, maybe its not lazy, maybe its just clueless.

Savil
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Impossible generally means "with what's in the code base currently, it is impossible" not that it can't ever be done. Add some code support and things that were previously impossible become possible.
jalany

Post by jalany »

deadman1204 wrote:what if it was a passive abilitiy - double or triple cast
Just like how melee don't control when they perform a double triple check, what if we simply had a double cast skill
We do, we have innate twincast aa but upping the % chance might help some. honestly we need a lot more than just more twincasting to help our dps though, as it stands with spell twincast and improved twincast we can keep tc up for most of a hard burn. I think we need to get some bigger damage boosts on nukes or possibly some burn aa's that would increase burst output.
ImageImage