Protect the Arms

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Protect the Arms

Post by Tweelis »

So mostly I'm doing the language/progression thing solo but have ran into a roadblock with Protect the Arms and am here to ask for some advice.

Commander Ilvestra needs to die. Last night I cleared the entire area in front of his building then sat and tried to figure out if there was some way to get him out single. There was him and two mobs standing next to each other. My first thought was CoN (which I'm lousy at btw). I first hit the commander with the malo AA and as expected all three mobs came. Once out of the buliding I sent in my pet and hit CoN to try and split the mobs. Some reason or another the CoN pet didn't get aggro at all so all three mobs destroyed my air pet (as expected).

Either tonight or tomorrow night I'm going to go back and try again. If I can get help it should go better but with my really odd playtimes it's doubtful. My solo plan is to:

Clear the area as before.
Start off with the gargoyle pet on one of the guards.
CoN the other guard/add.
Hit the commander with a bolt to make him come out of the building.
Put my pet on the commander with my merc on reactive.
chain gargoyles on the two adds inside and hope for the best.

If any of you have a suggestion that would work better than this please let me know; I'm all ears.

Thank you
Danille

Re: Protect the Arms

Post by Danille »

You can pull a the train to the zone in of the valley, zone back into argrth and kill them before the walk all the way back. Make sure your merc is set to passive
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

There are tons of multi-pulls in the progression tasks. They all require tricks to try and split. The most reliable method I found is to train them to the zone as danielle said, saccing some CoN or swarm pets (or even a throw-away main pet) in the process to try and get them to split from each other, after which you can try and pick them up as they're going back.

Drape of shadows, if you know how to use it, is a better splitting mechanism than CoN is for pulls greater than 2. The essence of what you want to do is to have your pet stun one (or root one, if it's the earth pet), then pull the rest away and drape. You'll then have one mob split off from the others. Too bad drape has a long cooldown so you can only do this once, but if it's a three pull you can use it to peel one mob off and then use CoN to peel another.

Doing these tasks really make me dislike the tuning of the gargoyles, by the way. They're supposed to be able to tank mobs, not go down in two rounds. Makes fighting more than one mob almost impossible as a mage.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Thank you both for the suggestion; off to try them. :)
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

I fight 2 and 3 at a time quite often. It isn't impossible, nor is it hard until you get into Sep, Sep East, and Sep West...and even there it really depends on what mobs are involved.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

I'm looking forward to the day when I can do the same Svenalo. Currently I can't even buy my earth pet spell due to a low language score so that's not an option. Also still using em8 focus which is hurting me a lot. When I hit 25 alaran the earth pet will be the first thing I get followed by what to use my level 92 rank 2 cantrip on (still not sure about that one).

Anyway, last night I got to argath and a friend decided to start the same task. She took out the flying thingies then we went over to the three named. The first one we survived with one add. Commander Ilvestra was troublesome but there was another group there clearing out that building but leaving the commander alone. We got the commander plus one of his guards. It was really hairy but we managed it with only one death. I was too tired to try for the third named but from what I saw it'll take a lot of training to zone in order to get that guy done.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Here's how I did this one. Just merc and myself using earth pet.

1st one was easy as he only has 1 thief in room with him. Earth on commander while chaining garg on thief, nuking commander in between garg deaths.
2nd one was commander with 2 guards. Cleared just outside, then /pet guard, AoZ to target commander and send pet inside to get him. As expected he came back with commander and his 2 guards. Pet on 1 guard, ignored the other, garg on commander and burned the 1st guard. The guards have low HPs so they die very quickly. Burned the other guard, then concentrated on commander.
3rd one only has 1 guard, but his room is full of mobs. Cleared outside the /pet guard right by stream outside door. Targeted commander, then moved off to the side. Aegis to pet, merc on passive. Send pet in and back off once I see commander in extended target. Of course 4 mobs added. Once pet got back outside, I faded (you just have to be quick about fading, even the latest earth only last seconds against 5 mobs there). They walked back into the house 1 at a time, last one being the commander who I just picked off for a solo kill.

The biggest thing with this one is having the pet pull instead of you. Having all the mobs on your pet instead of you gives you time to do whatever you need to do. Also, I fell into the habit a long time ago of casting the AA aegis on pet before every pull. Of course you could use DA on pet for the pulls to give you more time, but I save DA for my oh crap moments.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

You can use the same pet pull deal for the sarith tasks where you have to kill the alaran named in the barraks and the jail.