RoF pets

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Cielli
Conjurer

Re: RoF pets

Post by Cielli »

Something I forgot... If you're using a 96plus pet, but NOT a Lvl 100 servant, you're servants ( 95 ) not going to pull aggro properly off the pet, it's also not going to tank the mob very long before going squish.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

I noticed that last night Cielli. Grouping with some friends Saturday night it was time to try the fire pet. When the night was over I gated to the lobby and left my fire pet out to get buffed up for Sunday night. Anyway my regular group had already gone to bed for the night so I decided to see what my fire pet could do in regards to tanking for me. To say it was an aggro magnet is an understatement. Even when I started off with the 95 gargoyle the fire pet would pull aggro off in less than a minute. When it's fully buffed it's a reasonable tank (my merc could keep it up barely when on balanced, easily on reactive) and the damage output is amazing.

Informal parses (I wasn't close enough to every mob to get a 100% accurate parse) showed the fire pet doing around 6k dps normally and that would shoot up to 14k dps with VT and FBO. This is with EM12 and all pet aa's through VoA. My air pet averages around 4k dps with full normal buffs and that spikes to about 10k dps with VT and FBO. Looking over the tanking stats the fire pet is ok with trash mobs but I wouldn't use it on even a tier 1 named. Iremaw in SL nearly destroyed my air pet with my merc on reactive. Granted stun wasn't landing on Iremaw so who knows....sparky might last a few rounds.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

Was in CC last night finishing up one of the last quests... Roaming orc miners kept adding, and adding, and adding... WHen the 5th Mob Added ( had reloc pet to keep them all on his front ) I popped Silent casting and started burning... Took them out 1 by 1 .

Earth pet tanked 5 unslowed t1 mobs with 1 reactive merc healer.
Arterian
Magician

Post by Arterian »

That's very nice. How much does the new fire pet nuke for?
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

16.5k I believe.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

16938 .. with em 13.

Just did some parses on pets.

Air pet did 3800 DPS Slashing
Earth pet did 3500 DPS Slashing
Water pet Did 3600 DPS Slashing, 1000 DPS backstabbing, with some marginal nuke dmg.
Fire pet did 2400 DPS Slashing, and 4400 DPS Nuking.

With Surge of Arcanum, the pets add 3000-4000 Spell DPS from the dmg shield.

So a fire pet is doing 10k Dps ! when melee'ing with Surge up.

Tanking...

Water pet is taking 4000 DPS in T2
Air pet is taking 3700 DPS in T2
Earth pet is taking 3000'ish DPS in T2

this might surprise you... Fire pet only Taking 4400 DPS in T2
Tanks 1 mob fine with a balanced merc healer, never dropped below 50%.

That's with iceflame Up .
Both pets were casting their respective spells. ( stun & shield )

I've heard it a million times... but NO, the air pet does NOT take less damage than the earth pet, and is NOT lighter on merc mana, not in this expansion anyway. I think if I turned off the earth pets spells, he might take the same dmg as air, but not more.... will parse it later
Last edited by Cielli on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

Turn off the earth pet's spells and the air pet's spells and then do the side by side. Earth pet with spells on vs. rootable mobs is never a great parse because the root makes mobs turn on gargs and they also added a rune effect to the root that makes the earth pet take less damage, so you won't ever see the earth pet's passive mitigation by just doing your usual trash mob routine.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

So I decided to test out the fire pet theory last night on a run through NToV. Of all our mages I was the only one using fire so I had a good comparison at end of night.

Well, low and behold the fire pet in melee range beat every single other pet all night long. Making good use of VT and FBO while meleeing with just shy of 30K nukes with FBO running. I'm going to run them again to make sure, but seems fire pet might be taking over.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Sillaen wrote:So I decided to test out the fire pet theory last night on a run through NToV. Of all our mages I was the only one using fire so I had a good comparison at end of night.

Well, low and behold the fire pet in melee range beat every single other pet all night long. Making good use of VT and FBO while meleeing with just shy of 30K nukes with FBO running. I'm going to run them again to make sure, but seems fire pet might be taking over.
This was covered in Beta, but Fire pet is great out of the box meaning in a non-optimal setup (lacking ADPS) it will win out because FBO is off for 12min. While FBO is on a Water pet will out DPs a Fire pet, but while it is off Fire takes the lead. What makes Water good is similar to melee, the ADPS aspects. When you put in ADPS it sets Water ahead by a fair amount making it so there is no question that Water is our best DPS pet.

/GU Test One Hundred Three in 2604s, 15252k @5857dps --- Boss (Piemastaj) 15250k @5856dps=Water pet with EM16 and our self buffs.

/GU Test One Hundred Three in 2602s, 17737k @6817dps --- Boss (Piemastaj) 17725k @6812dps.=Fire pet with EM16 and our self buffs.

To me, Fire pet needs to be higher then that but as you can see it has a substantial lead over Water. With FBO on Water pet with the same circumstances was at iirc 13 or 14k DPS (I do not have this parse on me as it was done in Beta and was not posted because of the limited time I had), Fire pet will be lower then that.

Simply put for a group Fire is probably the best bet for DPS when your not risking survivability for a group, Fire pet will tank far worse then Air or Water especially on multiples. However Water has the greater upside especially when you start bringing in ADPS classes during groups.

The DPs gain is marginal for risking a wipe IMHO. If you have Air up or Water you have a better chance of saving your group then with Fire, and that will turn out better in the long run unless your on very trivial content.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

No, I think you misunderstand.

I know Fire is a great out of the box option and I wasn't referring to the group game. I was testing under raid conditions in a raid setting against New NToV raid dragons.

Fire pet was consistently doing 12K DPS with just 1 FBO and 1VT in melee range, no bard. Since I was just testing, I didn't prebuff and pocket or anything. I had him out while clearing and just figured I'd give it a test shot. These were all 6 - 8 min fights.
All other pets, a mix of water and air, also running VT and FBO were destroyed by said fire pet in raid. The closest water pet was ~2.5K dps behind.

With Fire in melee range FBO doubles on pet as both a melee and nuke increase, which I think is the reason it won all night long.

I'll run some more tests next time I get a chance.
Piemastaj wrote: /GU Test One Hundred Three in 2604s, 15252k @5857dps --- Boss (Piemastaj) 15250k @5856dps=Water pet with EM16 and our self buffs.

/GU Test One Hundred Three in 2602s, 17737k @6817dps --- Boss (Piemastaj) 17725k @6812dps.=Fire pet with EM16 and our self buffs.

To me, Fire pet needs to be higher then that but as you can see it has a substantial lead over Water. With FBO on Water pet with the same circumstances was at iirc 13 or 14k DPS (I do not have this parse on me as it was done in Beta and was not posted because of the limited time I had), Fire pet will be lower then that.
Throw FBO on and run that parse again. Make sure both are in melee range. You may be surprised with the results. If I get a chance to log on later, I'll go test on the dummies.