Steel Vengeance

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Cielli
Conjurer

Steel Vengeance

Post by Cielli »

Some great info on new abilities from Pie, thanks Pie... Just had one question, anyone know approx proc rate of the Steel Vengeance AA when using the magic nuke?

It's a shame they increased the cast time on blistersteel malo :/
Eanelder
Elementalist

Re: Steel Vengeance

Post by Eanelder »

Cielli wrote:It's a shame they increased the cast time on blistersteel malo :/
I'm looking at Lucy spell data, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but blistersteel malo looks like its 3.25 seconds base cast time, the same as malo. Don't confuse this spell for a nuke. This is a debuff with a Nuke component, not a nuke with a debuff.

I dont believe i will be giving up a spell slot for this, ever.

As for Steel Vengeance, looked like it was about 1 in 8 maxxed out on Beta, but thats my rough estimate.
Last edited by Eanelder on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

It's already replaced AA Malo for me in soloing and grouping.

If you're not using this in grouping ( and using aa malo still ), you're doing 10k less base dmg per mob. It's a great addition, I hated the no-damage period when i had to cast malo.
cicely
Magician

Post by cicely »

Isn't there a concern of not only drawing aggro from the debuff portion, but now throwing a DD on top of it? I am not sure if this is the best thing for myself, I want my pet to have aggro not me LOL!

Unless there is zero hate associated with the combo malo/DD, I think I will stick with AA malo. No mana used, no extra hate involved with a DD, and it does the job for solo/group content.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

I don't pull with it. I use aa malo to pull. Using it in a normal weave is no different than using a debuff then nuke combo. It really is a handy spell if you need to use spell malo but don't want to give up the dps. It may not be useful for everyone's play style but it is useful. It can also be handy for those raiders where the mages sometimes end up malo'ing the mob--now they can with minimal dps loss. Those who roll with magic casters or need the stronger spell malo to land spells (for whatever reason) can now cast that without losing much dps.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

If you pull with malo, engage pet, then cast this you gain won't gain aggro on an Earth pet.

You should not be pulling with it, but you can use it shortly after w/o the worry of gaining too much aggro.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Nillaien

Post by Nillaien »

I was playing around in shards landing yesterday with this and I can confirm that at least with an air pet EM 14, pet aas maxed, and non summoning mobs you can pull with this. Add in the new rains and Mana reserve and I did about 35 aas in a lesson burn without going oom once.
Every time my pet picked up the mob no problem when sent into engage.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

I pull with Servant... Follow with blistersteel malo/pet attack , rain rain rain! win. no aggro, no merc, no problem. Just lots of dead mobs, love the spell.
Eanelder
Elementalist

Post by Eanelder »

Voragath wrote:I don't pull with it. I use aa malo to pull. Using it in a normal weave is no different than using a debuff then nuke combo.

As long as your not casting it more then once a mob. When you say your using it in a normal weave makes me think your including it in you rotation which means your paying 2x what you normally would for the nuke.
Voragath wrote:It really is a handy spell if you need to use spell malo but don't want to give up the dps. It may not be useful for everyone's play style but it is useful. It can also be handy for those raiders where the mages sometimes end up malo'ing the mob--now they can with minimal dps loss. Those who roll with magic casters or need the stronger spell malo to land spells (for whatever reason) can now cast that without losing much dps.
Waiting 5 seconds longer (malo cast time + global refresh) to cast a nuke hardly seems like a DPS loss. I'm glad some mages are finding a use for it on their spell bar, I just cant help feeling we could have gotten a lot better.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Eanelder wrote:
Voragath wrote:I don't pull with it. I use aa malo to pull. Using it in a normal weave is no different than using a debuff then nuke combo.

As long as your not casting it more then once a mob. When you say your using it in a normal weave makes me think your including it in you rotation which means your paying 2x what you normally would for the nuke.
No, not as a part of the weave. IE: it's cast once during the weave.
Eanelder wrote:
Voragath wrote:It really is a handy spell if you need to use spell malo but don't want to give up the dps. It may not be useful for everyone's play style but it is useful. It can also be handy for those raiders where the mages sometimes end up malo'ing the mob--now they can with minimal dps loss. Those who roll with magic casters or need the stronger spell malo to land spells (for whatever reason) can now cast that without losing much dps.
Waiting 5 seconds longer (malo cast time + global refresh) to cast a nuke hardly seems like a DPS loss. I'm glad some mages are finding a use for it on their spell bar, I just cant help feeling we could have gotten a lot better.
Anytime you drop a nuke for some other non-damage spell it is a dps loss. You are implying significant dps loss and I implied no such thing. Casting malo rather than a nuke is a dps loss no matter how you try to look at it; using blistersteel malo minimizes that loss.

To complicate things, you are discussing messing up the timing of your weave and that can cause more than the loss of one nuke over time; that would then lead to a substantial dps loss.